The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-13-2007, 09:14 AM   #31
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Not to start a new debate, but... designed by whom?

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:16 AM   #32
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I think that's a question best answered by the Pastafarians.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:28 AM   #33
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I the spirit of Douglas Adams I offer Toadatarianism.

Under my philosophy, farm animals are fulfilling their highest desires by dying to be food. With their limited mental capability, all they can understand is that their entire meaning in life has been to be fatted for the knife. Their kind has been specifically raised for this purpose for so long - centuries, sometimes - that no other meaning matters. In fact, most such beings could not exist in the wild any longer, having been bred to be et. There's no such thing as a wild cow, and the wild turkey doesn't resemble its farm cousin at all.

For them not to fulfill their meaning in life is a horrible end... incomprehensible, really. Every time we eat meat we help the farm animals to fulfill their very destiny. It is an act of giving.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:53 AM   #34
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

The vegetarians and fruitarians are messing up the food chain, especially the fruitarians. They're going to upset the entire ecological balance of the planet.

My motto is "Eat more meat. Give animals a shot at a short, happy life." (On the billboard, I'd have sad-eyed cows, pigs and chickens.)

Every animal that you don't eat means one less animal that gets to be born, to have the opportunity to live a happy barnyard life.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:27 PM   #35
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Vegetarians will not eat or use products that involve the death of or pain/cruelty infliced on the animal. Milk, Eggs and cheese are OK if they are harvested within these guidelines.
There are as many interpretations of the word "vegetarian" as there are vegetarians! The one I was raised with was: Don't eat anything that is an animal or can become an animal.

Thus, milk and honey are okay to eat, but eggs are not.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:39 PM   #36
Ibby
erika

If you ask me, if a fetus ain't alive, an unfertilized egg sure as hell ain't. Fair game.

I dont eat fish; it's just as alive as a cow is. My sister, who's also vegetarian, does eat fish.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:09 PM   #37
Pie
Gone and done

Oh, a fetus is alive; it just isn't a person. But hey, let's not get into that one again.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:59 PM   #38
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

*slams rum bottle on counter*

Oh......damn.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:40 AM   #39
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Vegetarians will not eat or use products that involve the death of or pain/cruelty infliced on the animal. Milk, Eggs and cheese are OK if they are harvested within these guidelines. Vegans will not eat/use anything from an animal, believing that animals should not suffer to provide food for humans, and that all farming methods induce suffering of some form because the animal is not living 'naturally". Humans are not considered animals in this respect. It is not against vegan or vegitarian principles to recieve organ donations, blood donations or drink (human) breast milk. Reason being, the humans involved are able to consent and no suffering is involved.

Fruitarians believe that plants are also able to suffer, so one should only eat that which is "willingly given" for consumption i.e. fruit. Fruit is designed to be eaten to ensure propagation, so it is OK. So is breastmilk, which is designed to be drunk by the baby to ensure growth. The giver is not damaged by either.
I was vegan for years, it had nothing to do with empathy for animals. That is a myth.
Fish is meat.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:47 AM   #40
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

It's not a myth. People don't have myths about why you were vegan.

If it wasn't for the animals, what was your reason?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:47 AM   #41
Cloud

many people do it for health reasons, I think