The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-19-2015, 09:48 AM   #241
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster
does it get better? Or am I just too jaded to enjoy such things? I cannot for the life of me figure our what has all y'all so enraptured
Did you finish it? For me it was all about the characterization of Frank. My dad is going to be Frank, to a T. And I am the son and my brother is the hippie daughter, minus the ambition to actually get himself out to a foreign country and do something about his dirty hippie feelings. I guess it really wasn't the plot at all, just seeing characters that I could so readily identify with.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:40 PM   #242
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Do you mean Peter Graves asking the boy if her liked gladiator movies.

Yes. Yes I did.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:40 PM   #243
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Did you finish it? For me it was all about the characterization of Frank. My dad is going to be Frank, to a T. And I am the son and my brother is the hippie daughter, minus the ambition to actually get himself out to a foreign country and do something about his dirty hippie feelings. I guess it really wasn't the plot at all, just seeing characters that I could so readily identify with.
No. I tried, but I couldn't concentrate on it, my attention wandered and then I realized I had stopped listening/watching ....and I had no desire to go back and see if I'd missed anything.. Oh well.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:03 PM   #244
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Just watched In Bruges.

lol and omg! All at the same time. It's like the Coen Brothers only it's not.

I'm loving netflix, my free trial is over in two days. How did I miss this film for all these years? I don't know, but it was recommended to me based on my netflix history, all of one month...and they nailed it. I didn't know if it was going to be a comedy or a drama. Well gee, both. My favorite kind of movie.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/in_bruges/
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:23 AM   #245
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Fucking Bruges

m.youtube.com/watch?v=jDyEbUUpiLc
Old 01-20-2015, 06:08 AM   #246
Griff
still says videotape

Old 01-20-2015, 07:20 AM   #247
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Just watched In Bruges.

lol and omg! All at the same time. It's like the Coen Brothers only it's not.

I'm loving netflix, my free trial is over in two days. How did I miss this film for all these years? I don't know, but it was recommended to me based on my netflix history, all of one month...and they nailed it. I didn't know if it was going to be a comedy or a drama. Well gee, both. My favorite kind of movie.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/in_bruges/
I became aware of that film because of the clip floating round the internet of Matt Smith - his scene was cut in the end because it was considered too violent (I think). Which is a shame because it was a wonderful performance. I believe it was a flashback sequence. Havent actually seen the film yet. It's on my list of films I really should watch one day :P

DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:43 AM   #248
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Just watched In Bruges.
I enjoyed, too

Watched Pompeii, because GOT's Jon Snow was in it. I disliked it intensely.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:50 AM   #249
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

@ Dana: yes, do watch it. In my opinion, it just kept getting better and better as it went on. A lot of giggles and some wtf moments.

Whoa, just saw the video you posted. At first I was like 'yeah' because of the backstory coming out in the film in other ways (the deleted scene was definitely a flashback), then I was like WTF?

Oh now you have to see that movie because I have some questions about that scene and the backstory!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:40 PM   #250
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Dana,
I've finally started Dr. Who. I saw all of the first season and I'm nearly through season two. It was hard to make the transition to Tennant, but he has much more range than Eccleston, whose stupid grin seemed to be the entire gamut of his expressions.

Are your my mommy? was so creepy.

So cheers for insisting I watch it.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:10 PM   #251
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Dana,
I've finally started Dr. Who. I saw all of the first season and I'm nearly through season two. It was hard to make the transition to Tennant, but he has much more range than Eccleston, whose stupid grin seemed to be the entire gamut of his expressions.

Are your my mommy? was so creepy.

So cheers for insisting I watch it.

Footsie, dear, the first season starred William Hartnell and was originally shown in 1963 in black and white. Jus' sayin'

Sent by thought transference
Old 01-20-2015, 01:24 PM   #252
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I know, they are calling the 2005 revival 'series one' for some reason. Dana gave me a pass on catching up from the very beginning.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:34 PM   #253
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

When I was in the nuthouse, a few things kept me going.
A major one was the itsy bitsy DVD player my Mum bought me, which I defiantly didn't have PAT tested (after they took over a week to PAT test my radio) and CEX, which is a place to buy and sell DVDs, CDs, games etc. You can pick up films for like 50p, so you don't have to be too choosy.

I watched LOADS. I found my phone headphones, which I've never used, fit the socket, so I could shut out the screms and shouting and weeping IRL with the same on DVD.
The machine just EATS up battery time, so it's perfect if you're not paying for the electricity

Last films I watched were:
Grave Encounters. A film crew go into a shut down mental hospital looking for ghostly footage. Things do not go as they (or I) expected. I watched on a pretty lively night on the ward, so was probably far more creeped out than was caused by the film. I had my light off and the privacy shade drawn on the observation window so I was isolated fro what was happening. Like being a kid reading by flashlight.

Off the back of that, the person serving me recommended The Dyatlov Pass Incident. They didn't have it in at the time, but when it turned up I bought it. It was... Odd. I can see the correlation between the films. Mildly creepy, then building to an improbable climax too slowly, interspersed with some really jarring shocks. I watched that one in daylight.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:23 AM   #254
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

I just watched SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT (1977) on VHS
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:30 AM   #255
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

rented Passengers from Redbox last night. Worth it.