The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-17-2017, 09:34 AM   #1321
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
... about an inch of loose well salted snow on the road, and the heat from bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic wouldn't melt it.
Heat rises. Snow falls. Everything is downhill.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:34 PM   #1322
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Heat rises. Snow falls. Everything is downhill.
Except heat. Or are you gonna argue with yourself now?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:07 PM   #1323
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

It is currently snowing outside for the second time this month.

It does not snow in Austin, dammit.

Also, it went back up to 70 degrees in between the two snows. And it will no doubt be back up there again in another week or two.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:08 PM   #1324
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

ha~~!

We had a white christmas here. SonofV and I were on our ritual christmas eve shopping trip, into the store we went at about 4 pm. The sky was cloudy and as we filled the cart with a couple last minute gifts and some snacks and ingredients for the coming nosh, the weather outside, as the song goes, is frightening. A couple inches of snow had accumulated and it was the first snow of the season, so, early evening traffic, people harried and hurrying to get home for their festivities, and roads *bathed* in slick.

What could possibly go wrong????

Well, for SonofV and I, nothing. We got home, we ate, we played, a good time was had by all. But ... it coulda been a disaster.

The front yard from the safety and warmth of the living room:Name:  IMG_20171225_094302SM.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  368.4 KB

And just out of chronological order, SonofV and I safely home posing for our holiday usie in the snow covered driveway:

Name:  00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20171224175801220_COVERSM.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  232.1 KB
Old 01-01-2018, 08:34 AM   #1325
Griff
still says videotape

Looking good brothers.

-5F at dawn today
Old 01-01-2018, 09:23 AM   #1326
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

-8 rite now feels like -27. BRRR!!!
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:40 AM   #1327
Griff
still says videotape

nippy
Old 01-01-2018, 05:40 PM   #1328
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Brr. Fucking brr.

Name:  brr.JPG
Views: 251
Size:  27.3 KB

We are not used to this.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:05 PM   #1329
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Thats ^^^fucking cold!! Supposed to get up to 18° tonight with a high of 30 tomorrow. Jim prolly sent this shit down here and it is supposed to snow 1-3" Wednesday. Next time I will move to Borneo.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:32 PM   #1330
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
It is currently snowing outside for the second time this month.

It does not snow in Austin, dammit.

Also, it went back up to 70 degrees in between the two snows. And it will no doubt be back up there again in another week or two.
Texas weather, omg. It's always been batshit crazy, and I think it's getting worse.

I was born (1958) and spent the first ten years of my life in Beaumont. I was present and hunkered down for several major Gulf Coast hurricanes. The one I remember most clearly was this little bitch. I may have been quite young, but it made a very strong impression on my wee toddler's brain. ("Holy shit!!! A tree just crashed into the living room ceiling! WTF'nF?!?")

Many years later, as an adult, I commuted two weeks a month to Dallas, which has the craziest, most fucked-up, weirdest extreme weather I ever barely survived.

What with all that "fake news" global climate change hooraw and everything, it may be time to get outta Dodge, my friend!
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:52 AM   #1331
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Storm Eleanor hit the UK last night causing damage, transport disruption and power cuts in many parts of the country.
The wind howled throughout the night hereabouts but we seem to have got off fairly lightly.
The huge conifer at the bottom of the back garden survived the night, as indeed did I.
At 0655 the weather chap on the radio reported gusts of 100mph had been recorded in the Pennines, but as nobody lived there it didn't matter too much!
I made immediate plans to move there.

Storm Eleanor
Old 01-03-2018, 06:14 AM   #1332
Griff
still says videotape

Ha!
Old 01-03-2018, 02:06 PM   #1333
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

100mph...That's breezy, baby!

Reminds me:

about a hundred years ago I went to my buddy's house. At the time, he was between homes, and staying with his grandmother, who looked just Granny Walton from the Waltons. I walked up to the door, granny had seen me pull in and came to the door to let me in. The wind ripped the storm door outta her hands and folded/slammed it backward against the side of the house with a fair amount of violence. In the most perfect, tiny, reedy, little-old-lady-voice, Granny said:

"Weathery out."

Old 01-04-2018, 01:21 AM   #1334
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
100mph...That's breezy, baby!

Reminds me:

about a hundred years ago I went to my buddy's house. At the time, he was between homes, and staying with his grandmother, who looked just Granny Walton from the Waltons. I walked up to the door, granny had seen me pull in and came to the door to let me in. The wind ripped the storm door outta her hands and folded/slammed it backward against the side of the house with a fair amount of violence. In the most perfect, tiny, reedy, little-old-lady-voice, Granny said:

"Weathery out."
"Ayuh."
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:03 AM   #1335
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

As noted above, we dodged the worst of the storm but we did have a nasty outbreak of flying trampolines.

Name:  Flying trampoline..jpg
Views: 186
Size:  72.9 KB

Quote:
Storm Eleanor: 'Flying trampolines' land on Aylesbury train tracks

Two "flying trampolines" were blown on to train tracks during high winds caused by Storm Eleanor.

Network Rail said a train had to stop in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire on Tuesday night.

The trampolines were moved to the side of the track and taken away by staff on Wednesday morning.

A Network Rail spokesman said the incident was "an obvious safety hazard" and appealed to people to secure garden items.

Mark Killick, chief operating officer for Network Rail's London North Western route, said: "It is incredible to think that a trampoline could fly through the air on to the railway, but here we have not one but two at the same location."

Network Rail has asked residents to tether items such as trampolines, gazebos and marquees to make sure they stay put in high winds.

BBC Link