The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 03-08-2002, 10:32 AM   #1
Nothing But Net
Professor

Cellar ad on Fark?

I browse Fark a lot, it usually has some fairly entertaining content. I see Undertoad over there on occasion. Now it looks like he bought an ad for the Cellar on Fark. Hope the new traffic doesn't Fark up the Cellar, and I'm not necessarily referring to bandwidth issues, either. We'll see.
Nothing But Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 03:05 PM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Naw, I don't think so. I bought a Fark classified when they first came out, and it didn't drive traffic nuts, bandwidth or otherwise. I just wanted to support Fark and here I have a perfect thing to link to with my $25 donation.

I also bought a text ad on Kuro5hin for $12, which also went up yesterday. Again, more to support that site than anything. (So far: 40 clickthroughs on 1300 impressions!) I like how these sites are using text ads as a way to get paid back. It's a good way for people to share links, even. Text ads are the way of the future. (I wish.)
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 02:36 PM   #3
Gabriel
Sibling of the Commonweal

I came here through the K5 link. Really nice...
Linking the Cellar was a great idea. We need more sites like this.

Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 07:09 PM   #4
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

UT, could this be why there has been a spike in visitors the past few days? I've seen 15-30 people on here at one time...and that's been steady.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 10:30 PM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Must be. I also put an ad on a thing called "ad farm" which is a way for smaller sites to have text ads and everyone kinda shares in the distribution of them.

It's just such a great idea. Could be a way for smaller but popular sites to pay back some of their costs.
Old 03-15-2002, 11:42 AM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Just following up on this, all of the text ads out there have expired now. The K5 ad ran out two days ago, the Fark ad ran out yesterday, and the Ad Farm ad (which mostly ran on a site called Diesel Sweeties, but also included a few other similar sites) ran out today. So any traffic you see here today is "baseline".

The K5 and Fark ads were as much to support those sites as anything. The Ad Farm, which was only $10, was experimenting with this new phenomenon, the text ad, which I really hope takes off in a big way. I think the experiment was successful and I'm gonna throw $10 towards it every once in a while when we need to encourage new visitors.
Old 03-15-2002, 11:45 AM   #7
sapienza
Resident Denizen

I've seen references to text ads on both Kuro5hin and here, but I'm really not sure just what they are. Could anyone give/direct me to an example of a text ad, pliz?

sapienza
sapienza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 12:22 PM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Text ads are pretty much what they say they are: ads that have no graphics on them. The leader in text ads is Google; when you do a google search, text ads show up on the right-hand side of the page.

On the front page of Kuro5hin , look at the upper left-hand side of the page; they've made it clear that the box there has advertising in it. That up there is your most complicated text ad...

These ads take almost no bandwidth and are unobtrusive and simple. You can easily ignore them if you don't want to look at ads. And for the most part they are bought by people with other, similar sites who just want a little attention, or people who want to support the site.
Old 03-15-2002, 05:07 PM   #9
jaguar
whig

i put nice things on the cellar comment thread on fark =)
Old 03-15-2002, 05:09 PM   #10
sapienza
Resident Denizen

Ah-ha! Thanks for the info.

I didn't need no ad to find cellar.org, I found it on my own (while looking for a good Image of the Day site). Hell, The Cellar is where I first heard about fark.

Useless info.

sapienza
sapienza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 11:27 PM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Thanks Jag - I was wondering who the other folks were who commented
Old 03-18-2002, 01:01 AM   #12
jaguar
whig

donno who the other are, i'm sharvari (the other name i go by))indian for 'the night', i liked the sound)