The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-14-2008, 10:04 PM   #16
monster
I hear them call the tide

you guys obviously haven't mastered the art of stealing everyone else's pens....
Old 02-14-2008, 10:13 PM   #17
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Well, everybody else is doing pens, so I thought I'd post my Waterman. There's just something about the head computer geek taking out a fountain pen to sketch an explanation of email routing that appeals to my old school-ish-ness.

I would also recommend the Nikon D50 digital SLR or its successor models.
Attached Images

SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:42 AM   #18
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by case View Post
Gamblin oil paints. They are like painting with warm whipped butter.
Body paints, case?

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:45 AM   #19
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

rocky road lift kits

looks cool and rides better. now she just needs firmer struts up front.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:56 AM   #20
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

My pen of choice
Attached Images

DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:16 AM   #21
lookout123
changed his status to single

FJ Cruiser. Never before have I had a vehicle that I could not make one single complaint about.
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2008, 11:06 AM   #22
Cloud

Consumer Reports says poor visibility, lots of road noise, and poor handling, I thiink.

But it looks cool!
Old 02-15-2008, 11:19 AM   #23
lookout123

They must be comparing it to some street bound luxury vehicle. It has a couple of blind spots if you don't use your mirrors, but no real issue there. The road noise is pretty good, unless you are comparing it highly insulated luxury vehicle. Poor handling? Don't know what the heck that is about, it is one of the most responsive vehicles I've ever driven. Mind you, not a BMW 7 series, but it isn't supposed to be. A monster off road, and a dream on road.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #24
aimeecc
Super Intendent

My husband bought the FJ Cruiser in August. Great reviews. We both hate it now.

Our chief complaint is that in order for a passenger in the back seat to get out, the person in the front seat has to unbuckle and open their door. The handle for the rear doors is akward no matter if you are outside opening it or trying to open it from the inside.

This is truly important to us, since we put our son in the back seat, and I sit with him. I'm essentially trapped. Heaven forbid we ever get in an accident and my husband is knocked unconscious. I'd manage to get us out... but it wouldn't be easy or quick.

We can't even pull up to a gas station and have me run inside to get something without it being a production.

I can only blame ourselves - we had been car shopping for months, doing thorough research, then the FJ Cruiser came out, and my husband went car shopping without me. It was almost an impulse buy. I was at home, reading reviews for him, which were all good. Had I been there, we would have noticed these things. But his car had gone through a series of breakdowns and he had reached the point of "I need to trade it in now before something else goes wrong."

I usually love Toyotas. I've owned the Camry (loved it), Highlander (loved it) and now the Sienna (love it). I just wish the Sienna (or any decent van) got better gas mileage. I would trade size for gas mileage. I want a van (and not a smaller sedan or hatchback that would get better gas mileage) because of the sliding doors. It really is difficult to get the car seat in and out of a sedan.
aimeecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:17 PM   #25
lookout123

eh, see the addage YMMV is always in effect. I've had mine since June '07. I put both my boys in the back of the FJ and the suicide doors don't bother me. I've never had any issue with the door handle at all. When I drop lil lookout at school i pull up, undo my seat belt and open the door. He is out and his door is closed just as fast in this as we can do in our full size truck. I rarely have adults sit in the back, never if the front seat is open.

Depending on what package you got you should be able to unload your FJ for a relatively small loss because they are still in short supply.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #26
aimeecc
Super Intendent

I'm sure if I rode in it more often than once a month it I would get used to it and have an easier time. We've thought about trading it in, but are worried about loss of value. I'll have to check out the package we got and see what its worth.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #27
lookout123

yeah, it sounds like with your concerns it might not be the right vehicle for you.

I've logged >32,000 miles on mine since I got it. Mostly in town at 60-80 mph. Plenty of trips up north and west. It has been buried up to the hubs in mud and plowed through water up to the frame. It has carried dirty dogs, filthy kids, muddy soccer gear, and immaculately dressed businessmen. It looks equally at home in the desert covered in grime and at a five star hotel with a beautiful woman being helped out. Sadly for the guy in my office building, it still turns more heads than his Ferrari.

It's perfect for me.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:32 PM   #28
aimeecc
Super Intendent

I read a review when my husband was looking at it... I can't remember the exact words, but I think it was "ruggedly sexy". lol

I think my hubby has other complaints about it as well, I just don't remmeber off the top of my head what they are. He had a Ford Explorer he was very happy with, but it was over 100k miles and starting the break a lot.

The primary reason for the SUV is to pull the boat. No driving in mud (yet).
Old 02-15-2008, 03:15 PM   #29
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

This is mine and I love it. 7000 miles since Nov. It has been a big adjustment from 10 years of the F-150 but I must say it is so much better made.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #30
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

The other product I can recommend for insomnia is Kava Kava pills. I sleep well and have vivid dreams when I use it, usually about 2 times a month after a series of nights of insomnia. If you can find it get some. The stuff I have is powered pill form.