The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-11-2018, 10:34 PM   #166
monster
I hear them call the tide

ugh.

Change abounds at my place too. I'm safe, but I don't think my (awesome) boss is and next in line is insufferable.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:41 AM   #167
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Maybe, but I am skeptical.

I got this email two weeks ago. Hidden recipients list.
Jesus Christ. Good luck brother, work on the marriage relationship at least as much as the work.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:56 PM   #168
monster

^ so this.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:44 AM   #169
glatt

Ok, so it's Friday and I am still here.

This is unfolding a little more awkwardly than I had hoped.

I wanted to meet the HR person and then have her approach the trademark manager to sell her on the idea, but the HR person was blowing me off. She went almost 3 days before getting back to me about even getting on her schedule.

So I contacted the trademark manager directly. We know each other superficially and I had done a few little projects for her before. So I shot her an email asking if we could talk. Two minutes later, I got an email from the HR person saying she was sorry it had taken so long but we could meet Friday. I assumed the trademark person called HR and now HR was running interference.

But then the trademark person responded and said I could come by then.

So I spoke to the trademark person, and it was pleasant. Maybe cordial is the word. But she was surprised by my request. Literally. Wasn't prepared for a response. She said she would talk it over with others and get back to me. I told her I had an appointment with HR for Friday and she said that was perfect. I should get the ball rolling with HR.

So I'm meeting with HR this afternoon. Maybe it's an appointment with my executioner, or maybe they will hear me out and things will just fall into place.

Meanwhile, there is a firm Management Committee meeting today, and I've briefed one of the partners on that committee on a particular issue, so they are going to be throwing my name around as a fount of knowledge and wisdom in this meeting that is chaired by the CEO who might be considering laying me off.

The cool thing is, I feel great. I've been anxious for a fucking year or two about this and one way or another it's going to be over soon. And I am the one who is making it happen now.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:12 PM   #170
Flint
Snowflake

I totally validate your feeling--knowing that your expertise will be highlighted in an important meeting is like a warm blanket that comforts you. Also, taking charge, being proactive rather than being trapped in anxiety--very liberating. You're an awesome dude, everybody knows it.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:53 PM   #171
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
The cool thing is, I feel great. I've been anxious for a fucking year or two about this and one way or another it's going to be over soon. And I am the one who is making it happen now.
This. Progress is way better than stagnation, and the fact that it might turn out happily after all is just icing on the cake. Hope it works out the way you want it to, but glad it will work out regardless!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:46 PM   #172
Griff
still says videotape

Echo on flint and clod, taking charge of this was smart and healthy.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #173
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Good on ya, glatt. Keeping my fingers crossed that all works out in your favor!
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #174
glatt

Meeting went well. But no resolution one way or another. I clearly got the message across that I am willing to help out elsewhere and am a team player.

HR manager is skilled. I like her. Even though she may end up firing me one day.

She is going to make inquiries about me joining trademark.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #175
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Glatt, you’re making all the right moves at work. (Don’t forget to chat up the wife). X

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #176
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I'll be the wet blanket.

Don't forget that the HR manager is in charge of managing the Resources of the company of type Human. You're a product, not a customer, to put it in current event terms. She doesn't work for you, though she may like you.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:06 PM   #177
glatt

True.

But on the other hand, if she has one spot in a lifeboat, and I am in her good graces, she is more likely to give that spot to me than to an employee who is not trying.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:43 PM   #178
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Also true.

For the record, I think you're doing the best you can, including maintaining (the appearance of) a good relationship with the HR team--with everyone who can help you. Just plain good.

YOU work for you, and that's a damn good team, albeit, small. I'm *definitely* Team glatt. :cheer:
Old 04-13-2018, 09:27 PM   #179
monster

GO GLATT!

By the sounds of it you read it and played it just right.

I've dealt with a lot of HR from two companies recently, and -whilst I echo BigV's sentiments about their official loyalties- I've learned that they are also networking for when you or they jump ship. They may have to fire you ...but in your next job you may be in a position to hire them.... they know better than anyone how the impression and networking things work, and they want to do the best by you as they can in the circumstances because it's good for them too.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:42 AM   #180
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Yey Glatt - you sound like you're handling this brilliantly. It really doesn't hurt to remind the people who may be making decisions on staffing that you have useful skills that are transferable across departments.

HR operates for the benefit of the company (in theory) - but that also includes good use and retention of human resources.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote