The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 09-11-2006, 09:08 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

September 11, 2006: 9/11 victims montage

There's nothing else I can do today except to follow Neatorama's lead. As Neato says,
Quote:
The photo above is a montage of those killed (except of 92 victims) by the terrorists attack on September 11, 2001. It was part of the prosecutorial exhibit from the trial of Zacarias Moussaoui.
Neato also offers a link to the site 2,996, a tribute to the victims of 9/11. (The site is overloaded and slow right now, so I've taken down the link, will put it back up when the site is available again.)

Listening this morning to Howard Stern's real time rebroadcast of his coverage of the day five years ago has been... and continues to be... a very moving experience. All of the confusion, the anger, the drama of the day plays out again.

The Cellar's own Where were you thread is fascinating, if I may toot our own horn.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:44 AM   #2
Emrikol
Compatriot-at-Arms

World Reaction
World Reaction II
World Reaction III
World Reaction IV
Rescue Dog

Just a small selection. You know, I hate to admit this, but I was teary eyed on the way to work today listening to the radio replays of '01. That was five years of emotions coming back. I'm silly.
Emrikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:48 AM   #3
milkfish
A serene breakdown

What was special about the other 92? Are they the passengers and flight crew in the planes?
Old 09-11-2006, 10:56 AM   #4
maninthebox
eats paste

Awesome links Emrikol. That brought a few tears to my eyes. Fascinating montage as well.
maninthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:13 AM   #5
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

thanks, Emrikol. I'm pretty teary-eyed myself. I can't watch any of the movies, the documentaries...it makes me so unbearably sad. My life changed that day--I decided to quit my job because I was unhappy in it; the past five years have been years of upheaval and change for me.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:14 AM   #6
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Thank you Emrikol. I got a bit teary myself. Maybe the entire rest of the world doesn't hate us. Or didn't.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:40 PM   #7
rkzenrage

Re: Emrilol.... OT, but I had to...

Old 09-11-2006, 08:10 PM   #8
Karenv
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
Re: Emrilol.... OT, but I had to...

All of the rescue dogs that worked on the pile after 9/11 have died of cancer.
Karenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:58 PM   #9
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I love Goggies!
Old 09-11-2006, 04:06 PM   #10
sproglet
small in a big way.

Hate to be picky but it's not a montage is it?

It's a load of pictures stuck in neat rows on a wall.

I don't mean to be heartless but why dredge this up every year? surely it defines and celebrates the terrorist victory just as much, if not more, than the loss to the families of the victims.
sproglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 04:22 PM   #11
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sproglet
I don't mean to be heartless but why dredge this up every year?
What shall we do? Forget? Pretend those lives didn't happen? You do sound heartless.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 09-11-2006, 04:50 PM   #12
sproglet
small in a big way.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
What shall we do? Forget? Pretend those lives didn't happen? You do sound heartless.
American media seem happy to pretend almost 3000 coalition troops haven't been killed so far in the pointless and illegal war in Iraq. I think I'm also right in thinking not a single name was read out from the list of several thousand innocent Iraqi civillians slaughtered thus far either.

Now that is heartless.
sproglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 04:57 PM   #13
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sproglet
American media seem happy to pretend almost 3000 coalition troops haven't been killed so far in the pointless and illegal war in Iraq. I think I'm also right in thinking not a single name was read out from the list of several thousand innocent Iraqi civillians slaughtered thus far either.

Now that is heartless.
the 9/11 remembrance is for remembering 9/11--not the war. War dead are memorialized on other days.

You can beat your drum on tons of other threads.

—James Barrie

Old 09-11-2006, 04:51 PM   #14
Emrikol
Compatriot-at-Arms

I'd rather it be more graphic and realistic. I hate the commercialization of it. Movies, books, stick-on-the-back-of-your-car magnets. WTF America?
Emrikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 05:50 PM   #15
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The IotD queue is pretty full right now, and I wasn't expecting to post this, but once I was listening to the real-time rebroadcast, I felt moved to do it.

It struck me a bit more than I expected, because it wasn't a timeline-y replay of the facts. It was a replay of the fear, the confusion, the sickening feeling, the amazement, which is what everybody was going through. Worry in some people's voices, anger in others.

The wandering concerns: are other places going to be hit? The slow burn of bad news as things got worse and worse and worse. The fog of war as a few rumors circulated and were dismissed: did they lose track of two other planes headed for LA? Did a third plane hit tower 1 before it fell? Was there an explosion on Capitol Hill? The common-sense question: what did we do to deserve this level of atrocity?

All that stuff was dredged up in me this morning. I didn't expect it but I realized what it was doing to me when somebody on the show said omigawd look the tower's falling, with a shaky voice, and suddenly I had a tear.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote