Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 05-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #286
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
on the subject of whether or not to show the pics, I heard an interesting analysis of that the other night. Personally, I don;t feel that we need to see it, but the analyst made a really good point that the whole mystique Bin Laden built around himself relied on his ability to fade in and out of the background at will. The disppearing man. He had control over his image at all times. Maybe an image of him defeated wuold serve to replace that image. As it is we are left with the mystique as an abiding feature.
I also, don't need to see dead bodies in general. But here in the US, or at least in Ann Arbor, Michigan, it is the norm to have open casket funerals to give "closure", and I have heard at least three friends from entirely different groups of people and backgrounds/religions say they want to see officialy released pics to be sure. Sure, they could be faked too, but this seems to be the line they need to draw to truly believe.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:56 PM   #287
Uday
Poker Playing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post

Reporter: There are reports OBL was unarmed...
WH: Fuck you, he was an enemy, now he's dead.

Reporter: There are reports he could have been captured...
WH: Fuck you, we didn't need him alive.

Reporter: The international community has concerns...
WH: Fuck the international community, this was a matter of US concern.
This is correct. If "the whole world is watching", that is the time to make your point.
Uday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:52 AM   #288
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Not only that, but from all the documents and laptops and stuff...
[b]...US Intel knows more than bin Laden could ever even remember to tell us!
Wow, they must have waterboarded the shit out of those documents and laptops and stuff, to get results so quickly!
Old 05-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #289
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Old 05-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #290
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair&Balanced View Post
Or perhaps you are just a legend in your own mind.
There are those who can only make excuses for not crediting good ideas when they are exposed to them. Some folks are only clinically sane. They contend with me bitterly. And they tend to come apart. So be what your handle claims you are, and go read Graham -- assuming you have both the integrity and the courage, for so many leftward folks think they are supposed to live without either. Annoys the hell out of them when somebody they know does.

Quote:
A strange mind indeed to quote Michael Graham, who suggests that all of Islam is a terrorist organization.
Read the man and figure out for yourself if he has worthy ideas. After all, how is secondhand trash from you going to persuade anyone you think needs persuading of the rightness of your way? I definitely recommend That's No Angry Mob, That's My Mom to your attention. Not every idea he's got is going to be worthy, but so what? One can certainly understand a certain -- frustration, directed at Islam and its societies, yes? And what else has Michael Graham come up with? You don't have to take the gun with the cannoli, do you?

Now for your off-kilter remark about "fearmongering," I say to you righteous indignation is not fear. Egg on your face is what you will end up with -- as you generally have. It comes of having to lie to yourself to stay on the Left. Believe me, it ain't worth it. That's why I'm on the right.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #291
Urbane Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
As others have noted, if UG and Merc could just be vanished from the politics forum, the atmosphere around here would improve stratospherically. I continue to be somewhat amazed that UG has never been banned. He attacks other posters in the nastiest possible way with little or no provocation, and his posts don't even make sense to anyone on either side. My theory is that he goes in and out of a mental institution somewhere. I guess he's kept around for entertainment value.
That's not an improvement of the atmosphere around here, that is the establishment of an echo chamber, undisturbed by the yes-buts and the ideas of better value. That's the sort of crap the Left ardently desires, that their sorry religion may be imagined The One True Way. One hundred and twenty million untimely deaths say the Left's way is not the True Way. Disbelieve it though you will, there are people who know better than you do. They're over on the Right.

While it does me scant honor to pick on nutbars like tw, his views are altogether too toxic and too prejudicial to leave unchallenged. I don't keep people on Ignore around here either.

But if you insist upon idiocy, you catch hell from me, a non-idiot. If you have nothing visible in the way of values, you catch hell from me, a man of virtue. If you prove by your words that you don't know any better and never did, I spank. Should you dislike the consequences of not thinking well and bleat at me about it, I spank more, until the agonies -- well, grow too great.

Would you like to catch hell from me, Sam-I-Am? Is someone forming a club? The Left usually is not right.

Personally, I do better than that. The hint here is that you can do the same.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #292
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

I thought April was more entertaining. UG is simply reposting reruns.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #293
monster
I hear them call the tide

Is this a sweeps week?
Old 05-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #294
infinite monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Is this a sweeps week?
Ha! It would explain a lot.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #295
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

He is not dead.

I saw it on the Interweebe. You are all fools.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #296
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

How do we really know he is dead? Can anyone prove it? Have independent laboratories validated the DNA comparison? Why is everyone so quick to take it at face value he is dead when so many inconsistancies in the initial reports of events are cropping up?

It wouldn't surprise me if he was captured and is being held at Gitmo
Old 05-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #297
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
How do we really know he is dead? Can anyone prove it? Have independent laboratories validated the DNA comparison? Why is everyone so quick to take it at face value he is dead when so many inconsistancies in the initial reports of events are cropping up?

Let's send GW bush to hell. He can recon and get back to us (hopefully?). You'd believe old W, wouldn't you?
Old 05-13-2011, 03:31 AM   #298
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

From a policing point of view, Sarge has a point. A story that changes that much

I reckon the old rat is dead, though. Not you Sarge.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:48 AM   #299
Uday
Poker Playing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post

I doubt this. It would be disastrous politically, were the secret ever to get out, and why lie in the first place?

"America has Bin Laden, and he's going to be taking part in interesting conversations for the next 30 years" will flush out more terrorists than "They killed him".
Uday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:59 AM   #300
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Now that bin Laden's gone, would anyone mind too terribly much if the US just gave Afghanistan to India?

Does anyone think that Jill would come back for a Klondike bar?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
i love tw, i love ug, merc luvs jill, merry xmas from barry o, rip ug, teh president barry, u want me, who be barrio?