Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #151
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
Well, there goes the Robin Hood and his band of merry men vote.
Not to mention how pissed Maid Marian is going to be when she finds out how much she'll now have to pay for her birth control under R&R.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:59 AM   #152
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Romney chose Ryan because he used to drive a car with a dog on top...

Just like himself.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #153
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Joe Biden 8/14/2012
Quote:
Romney wants to let the — he said in the first hundred days he’s going to let the big banks once again write their own rules, ‘unchain Wall Street.’
They’re going to put y’all back in chains.
Biden was telling his black audience that a Romney-Ryan administration would put the people to whom he was speaking (“y’all”), i.e., black people, back in chains. What other meaning could his statement possibly carry?
Old 08-15-2012, 02:10 AM   #154
SamIam

Biden's remarks were certainly ill advised, but both sides seem to be playing low and dirty.

Quote:
Romney wrapped up his own bus tour Tuesday, closing the trip with a sweeping indictment of Obama's campaign. "Mr. President, take your campaign of division and anger and hate back to Chicago," he said in Chillicothe, Ohio, insisting that Obama had abandoned his 2008 campaign's messages of hope and change.
And the fun is only just beginning...
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #155
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Joe Biden 8/14/2012

Biden was telling his black audience that a Romney-Ryan administration would put the people to whom he was speaking (“y’all”), i.e., black people, back in chains. What other meaning could his statement possibly carry?
He's accurate. Conservatives and repubicans want a cheap labor force, and want to keep all the power and money for themselves. They even want to keep the vote to themselves!
Old 08-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #156
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Taking quotes out of their context, as always.

Quote:
"(Romney) is going to let the big banks once again write their own rules, unchain Wall Street," Biden said at a campaign event in Danville, Virginia. "He is going to put y'all back in chains."

Biden later clarified the remarks at an event in Wytheville, Virginia suggesting his comments were in reference to House Speaker John Boehner's use of the word 'unshackled' in talking about Ryan's House budget proposal.

"The last time these guys unshackled the economy, to use their term, they put the middle class in shackles. That's how we got where we are," said Biden.

"And I'm told that when I made that comment earlier today in Danville, Virginia, the Romney campaign put out a tweet. You know, tweets these days? Put out a tweet, went on the airwaves saying, 'Biden, he's outrageous in saying that,' I think I said instead of 'unshackled,' 'unchained.' 'Outrageous to say that," said Biden. "That's what we had. I'm using their own words. I got a message for them. If you want to know what's outrageous, it's their policies and the effects of their policies on middle class America. That's what's outrageous."
I don't assume when someone says y'all or even 'you people' (as in you people are ruining MY LIFE...oft heard phrase in my business) to mean black people. THAT'S outrageous in a overly PC when it suits you kind of way.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ins/?hpt=hp_t2
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #157
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Is it me or has this whole campaign been mostly about both sides telling people why they shouldn't vote for the other guy instead of outlining why people should vote for their guy?

It's like neither side's marketers/PACs/advertisements can present a good argument to put their guy in the White House for the next four years, so both of them want to be sure we know why it shouldn't be the other guy.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #158
SamIam

I agree with Cyber. Biden's remarks may have been controversial, but read what Romney has to say about Obama:

Quote:
The president's re-election effort, Romney said Wednesday, "is all about division and attack and hatred." Obama, Romney added later while campaigning in Charlotte, is an angry man who "will do or say anything to get elected."
Attack, anger, hatred from Obama? I think Romney is mixing up the president with Rush Limbaugh. IMO, the far right is hands down the winner of the Oscar for hatefulness. They hate single Mom's, no matter what the reason for their plight - they're all welfare queens.

They hate the deperate people who cross the border illegally looking for work. The right's claim is that they come here to jump on all those government "hand-outs" and live a life of ease, smoking pot and watching cable TV. The right forgets to mention that one of the first things most of these programs require is proof of citizenship. It's difficult for an American citizen to get any help from the so-called government "safety net" and next to impossible for an illegal to do so.

The tea party hates the elderly and the disabled and in their online forums they often post that such parasites on society should be left to die. Many states have ridiculous limits for annual income to be eligible for Medicaid. Texas puts the line at $5,000/year. Colorado sets it at $9,000 a year. What a joke! Someome who earns $5,000 a year can pay for medical expenses out of pocket? Yeah, right.

The reason the Romney campaign can offer only attacks and never a solution is that Romney's "solutions" would be rejected by most. Vouchers instead of Medicare? Cutting defense spending costs by going after the VA which is already wildly under funded? Doing away with HUD in an era of recession where more and more families are looking at life on the streets?

No, Romney won't discuss such things. Like the bully on the playground, he'd rather shout nasty names at his opponents then actually stand up for what he believes in. Because what he believes in is a government that benefits the few at the cost of the many.

Last edited by SamIam; 08-15-2012 at 07:03 PM.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #159
Lamplighter

I'm in a quandary.
Usually, I despise Maureen Dowd's opinions and
her syrupy soft diatribes on Face The Nation.

But this time, I agree with her.
To post or not to post ? Oh well...

NY Times
By MAUREEN DOWD
Published: August 14, 2012
When Cruelty Is Cute

Quote:
I’d been wondering how long it would take Republicans to realize
that Paul Ryan is their guy. He’s the cutest package that cruelty ever came in.
He has a winning air of sad cheerfulness. He’s affable, clean cute and really cute,
with the Irish altar-boy widow’s peak and droopy, winsome blue eyes and unashamed sentimentality.

Who better to rain misery upon the heads of millions of Americans?
He’s Scrooge disguised as a Pickwick, an ideologue disguised as a wonk.
Not since Ronald Reagan tried to cut the budget by categorizing ketchup and relish as vegetables
has the G.O.P. managed to find such an attractive vessel to mask harsh policies with a smiling face.<snip>

Rush Limbaugh hails Ryan as “the last Boy Scout,” noting that the tall, slender
42-year-old is a true believer: “We now have somebody on the ticket who’s us.”
For the rest of us, at least, Ryan is not going to raise our hopes only to dash them.
Unlike W., he’s not even going to make a feint at “compassionate conservatism.”
Why bother with some silly scruple or toehold of conscience?<snip>

The secretive, ambiguous Romney was desperate for ideological clarity,
so he outsourced his political identity to Ryan, a numbers guy whose numbers don’t add up.

This just proves that Romney will never get over his anxiety about not being conservative enough.
As president, he’d still feel the need to prove himself with right-wing Supreme Court picks.

Ryan should stop being so lovable.
People who intend to hurt other people should wipe the smile off their faces.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #160
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Fuck, that's brilliant.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #161
infinite monkey

Agreed!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #162
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
Like the bully on the playground, he'd rather shout nasty names at his opponents then actually stand up for what he believes in.
You are forgetting one thing. As McCain noted when the Supreme Court said we want anyone to speak this way. We want the richest to say these things without anyone knowing who said it. No responsibility need exist in free speech, according to the Court. Therefore politicians must also set new records for cheapshot, insults, and swiftboating. They must appeal to what is, for many, the only source of knowledge: emotions.

Anyone can now buy all the advertising they want. And nobody has the right to know who is making those lies. That is good since over 50% of us automatically believe the first thing we are told. Also good because corporations doing that lying are people. Therefore are not responsible for insults and lying. Holding people responsible for their statements is wrong.

Five Justices on the Supreme Court said it is good. Politicians are only doing what the Supreme Court has encouraged. Lies. Nastiness. Fuck intelligence and logic. Profanity is the best proof of knowledge. Because someone, who you have no right to know, said it.

To stay on equal footing, all politicians must appeal to your emotions. It must get even worse. We want it. The Tea Party, Limbaugh, and other extremists thrive on it. That proves it is it good.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #163
Griff
still says videotape

Libertarian Party Prepares Philly Ballot Access Fight with Help From Other Third Parties

Looks like same old shit in PA.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #164
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It doesn't make sense. With more parties (candidates) for a particular office, it's much easier to manipulate the electronic voting, scattering the Democrats' votes around the minority parties undetected.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #165
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

The Wrong Side Absolutely Must Not Win
Quote:
No reasonably intelligent person can deny this. All you have to do is look at the way the Other Side has been running its campaign. Instead of focusing on the big issues that are important to the American People, it has fired a relentlessly negative barrage of distortions, misrepresentations, and flat-out lies.

Just look at the Other Side’s latest commercial, which take a perfectly reasonable statement by the candidate for My Side completely out of context to make it seem as if he is saying something nefarious. This just shows you how desperate the Other Side is and how willing it is to mislead the American People.

The Other Side also has been hammering away at My Side to release certain documents that have nothing to do with anything, and making all sorts of outrageous accusations about what might be in them. Meanwhile, the Other Side has stonewalled perfectly reasonable requests to release its own documents that would expose some very embarrassing details if anybody ever found out what was in them. This just shows you what a bunch of hypocrites they are.....
continued here

Tags
adak is teh whack