The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Archives > The Sycamore Manifestos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Sycamore Manifestos Random Acts of Senseless Coherence [Blog view]

Old 05-11-2003, 07:50 AM   #31
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

That's pretty good...I'd send it. Maybe include a picture of you giving them the finger. (Or since they're a British outfit, their version of the finger.)
Old 05-13-2003, 09:13 PM   #32
kvonmc
Recruit or Something

I got that same letter too. I'm wondering though how many different books there are really going to be; or if we are the chosen few. Never-the-less, it would be nice to have a whole page for your own poem, rather than 3+ on a page.
I think it would be interesting once we recieve the books to look up each others names in the index just to see if this is truely a one and only publication. Well, either way it is a nice acomplishment for all of the effort we put into our work. Let me know what you think. Kevin
Old 05-13-2003, 11:41 PM   #33
elSicomoro

Dumb question of the day: How did you poet types find this place? Were you lurkers prior to registering, or what? Just curious...
Old 05-13-2003, 11:43 PM   #34
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by kvonmc
I think it would be interesting once we recieve the books to look up each others names in the index just to see if this is truely a one and only publication.
Not a bad idea. Unfortunately, I won't be buying the book, given that I'm a starving artist and all.
Old 05-14-2003, 05:08 PM   #35
LuckyJoe
Non-Newbie Sort

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Dumb question of the day: How did you poet types find this place? Were you lurkers prior to registering, or what? Just curious...
How I found this site was I wanted to know more about the company/publishing house. After dealing with poetry.com (Watermark Press) and finding out how much they make off of starving poets I've been staying away from them. After a year maybe two of not dealing with Watermark Press I got this letter from Nobel House. When searching for Noble House I couldn't find anything reguarding the company. But when I typed in "Noble House Poets 2 Harrington Road" the first entry was here. So now you're finding lots of poets looking for information about a company and here is where they find themselves.

I just got lost and rather than looking for my way home I allowed my lazy side to set up camp and home I've now found.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:42 PM   #36
elSicomoro

Holy shit...he's right. Well, it's #2 now, but still...man, that's pretty cool. Welcome aboard Joe...and the other poets that stumbled in here. Feel free to explore the rest of the Manifestos and the Cellar. We're always looking for fresh blood--er, new faces.

I like the concept of being a beacon.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:33 PM   #37
kvonmc
Recruit or Something

Quote:
How I found this site was I wanted to know more about the company/publishing house. After dealing with poetry.com (Watermark Press) and finding out how much they make off of starving poets I've been staying away from them. After a year maybe two of not dealing with Watermark Press I got this letter from Nobel House. When searching for Noble House I couldn't find anything reguarding the company. But when I typed in "Noble House Poets 2 Harrington Road" the first entry was here.

Thats really interesting. My story is exactly the same as Joe's. I'm sure that may be the case for most. Anyways, that's cool how we are all stumbling into each other at this site (which is a pretty cool site ). Kevin
Old 05-15-2003, 03:35 PM   #38
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

OMG! Poets.
The Cellar will be full of smoke and bongo music.
COOL !
Old 05-15-2003, 03:37 PM   #39
perth
Strong Silent Type

as long as its not clove smoke. god i hate the way those things smell.

~james
Old 05-15-2003, 05:34 PM   #40
elSicomoro

Better get yourself a mask...cloves will be most welcome. But, if it'll make you feel better, I'll carry 2 of your favorite beers at the club. Deal?
Old 05-15-2003, 05:44 PM   #41
perth
Strong Silent Type

perfect. make it new belgium sunshine and 90 shilling.

~james

Last edited by perth; 05-15-2003 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:28 PM   #42
MyCat8Toto
Kinda New Member

NobleHouse

Hello, I am new to this forum...new to the Cellar actually.
I found the Sycamore Manifestos page while doing some snooping about "Noble House". At first i was confused, i thought this Sycamore Manifestos thing was behind the letter because everything i looked up about the addresses or the name lead back here...needless to say I was a little pissed when i found out that 2 Harrington Road in London was an English equivalent to our own Mailboxes Etc...nothing more that a place for mail to go. London office my A**.

Anyway, I was kind of releaved and yet disapponted when i actually came back and started reading the threads. Looks liek half the world got letters from Noble House wanting to publish thier poetry. Liek every aspiring poet i wanted to feel special becasue i was "chosen". Yeah right. I think Poetry.com is behind this, i bought one of there "fine quality" books with my poem in it and it sucked...crappy quality and frankly i was ashamed to show that to my family so i hid it in a trunk. and haven't bought anything from them since. I still post my work on thier site casue well, you never who might opo in a read it but... Anyway, i think this Noble House thing is poetry.coms sly attempt to coerse a bunch of people in to forking over $48 for yet another crappy book. Doesn't it seem odd the the UK is selling copies of the books for the same price poerty.com asks for theirs?

anyway i guess i will stick to real poetry contests...like the one the Boston Review does. For those of you interested here are the details:

Sixth Annual Poetry Contest
Deadline: June 1, 2003
First Prize: $1,000
Judge: Richard Howard

Complete guidelines:The winning poet will receive $1,000 and have his or her work published in the October/November 2003 issue of Boston Review. Submit up to five unpublished poems, no more than 10 pages total. Manuscripts must be submitted in duplicate, with a cover note listing the author's name, address, and phone number; names should not be on the poems themselves. Simultaneous submissions are allowed if the Review is notified of acceptance elsewhere. Submissions will not be returned. A $15 entry fee, payable to Boston Review must accompany all submissions. Submissions must be postmarked no later than June 1, 2003. All entrants will receive a one-year subscription to Boston Review, beginning with the October/November 2003 issue. Winner will be announced no later than October 1, 2003, on the Review's Web site, http://bostonreview.mit.edu. Send entries to:

Poetry Contest
Boston Review
E53-407 MIT
Cambridge, MA 02139
Old 05-16-2003, 12:25 AM   #43
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by perth
as long as its not clove smoke. god i hate the way those things smell.
Cloves are mandatory (Djarum unfiltereds only, of course ... most of the others leave a LOT to be desired, although Sampoerna's will do in a pinch). Only problem I have with them is the insatiable craving for ham that I get when I smoke one.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
Old 05-16-2003, 09:17 AM   #44
perth
Strong Silent Type

actually, the reason i cant stand them is because i use to smoke them so much. djarum unfiltered, and sampoerna did do in a pinch.

there was a coffee shop called paris on the poudre i frequented when i was too young to go to lucky joes saloon. me and my friends would sit and smoke cloves, drink cappuccino, play chess and generally play the disaffected, angst-ridden teenagers for hours on end. actually, i kind of miss that.

~james
Old 05-17-2003, 07:50 AM   #45
acrossboundaries
Kinda New Member

Exclamation ILP, poetry.com, Noble House Publishers

I bet you all heard enough about scams from Poetry.com. All the people submitted to poetry.com have undoubtedly by now received an email from dear Mr Nigel Hillary, a non-existing managing editor at Noble House Publishing. Did you also get that itching feeling in your stomach when you read the email (which looked suspiciously much like the emails from poetry.com)?
Well... Not too strange, since Noble House Publishers appears to be poetry.com's newest partner on the scene of the crime.
We have another vanity company aiming for our talented money instead of our talented poetry.
BEWARE!
Read more at www.poetryin-e-motion.com . In the Journal of Stupidities you find Poetry Scam(s), part I-IX with details about the matter.: