The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 07-08-2007, 03:56 PM   #16
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Believe it when I see 338,306 square feet of newly replanted rainforest land.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #17
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Quote:
Today, you and others have generated the value of 338,306 square feet of rainforest land. Thank you!
That's about six football fields (American) including end zones.

Not bad, but still a long way to go.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:05 PM   #18
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Believe it when I see 338,306 square feet of newly replanted rainforest land.
Quote:
With a simple, daily click of the green "Preserve Endangered Land" button at The Rainforest Site, visitors help to preserve rainforest land. Visitors pay nothing. Critical habitat is preserved by our charitable partners.
I think 'preserve' means to buy it before it's destroyed, not try to replant it. The cost of restoration is probably tens if not hundreds of times more than that of preservation.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:31 PM   #19
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
I think 'preserve' means to buy it before it's destroyed, not try to replant it. The cost of restoration is probably tens if not hundreds of times more than that of preservation.
Oh, sorry, I missed that. Should have read it more carefully.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #20
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I have a slight ethical paradox with the hunger site.

If we don't feed the people today they will starve.

If we feed the people today and they continue to grow at the rate they have, more mouths will have to be fed. That means people are going to starve inevitably in the future unless we give more food, but then the cycle may continue.

We don't want them to starve today but if we feed them today, the next generation will have more people and then the people of the next generation will starve.

Besides industrialization (microfinancing), this paradox is really annoying ethically.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:43 PM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Maybe not. Typically the resources of the rain forest are tied up in the plants with little in the soil. After logging and burning the slash, the soil will only be productive for one or two seasons. Without chemical fertilizers, most of the farmers move on to new spots, following and often helping, the loggers.
I would expect this land would be available for replanting, cheap.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:56 AM   #22
SPUCK
Professor

Boy that charcoal making is realllly bad. Besides denuding the forest those ovens pump out boo koo Carbon Monoxide and Carbon Dioxide. It's like a monstrous 1-2 punch.

We need to nuke those!!
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:19 AM   #23
Griff
still says videotape

Good points Bruce. It is amazing how little carbon in in the soil there vs temperate climate areas. I don't know how good Brazil is going to be on property rights for absentee landowners, that would seem to be an important thing to work on.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:26 AM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUCK View Post
Boy that charcoal making is realllly bad. Besides denuding the forest those ovens pump out boo koo Carbon Monoxide and Carbon Dioxide. It's like a monstrous 1-2 punch.
And they say, methane, for reasons I don't quite understand.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:30 AM   #25
Coign
Wanted Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Turning those logs into charcoal is like turning cows into McBurgers... quick and easy for the consumer, but so much wasted along the way.
Except you can re-plant the cows for McBurgers. You can't replant the rainforest at any cost effective method.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #26
CharlieG
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode View Post
Next time you pick up that bag of Kingsford, make sure you thank the gods for it.
Actually "Briquette" charcoal, like the classic Kingsford IS made from waste products - to whit - sawdust! The take sawdust and clay (and some other stuff) and mould it into the briquettes, and then make it into charcoal

True "lump" charcoal burns a LOT (and I mean a LOT) hotter, with much less ash (no clay)

As for "waste" vs burning wood - not all that much. Almost all of the energy is in the carbon, which is retained in the charcoal. You drive of the volates (water, oils etc) and then it's quenched - what's left burns a LOT hotter. It's done for the same reason that steel mills take coal, and turn it into coke. BTW you "village blacksmith" who burned coal - he would put the coal in on one side of the forge, and banked the fire in such a way that it would turn to coke. He did his actual forging in the coke, and would keep adding coal at one side , constantly making coke
CharlieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:59 AM   #27
chrisinhouston
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode View Post
Next time you pick up that bag of Kingsford, make sure you thank the gods for it.
Hey I'm from Texas, we use Mesquite!
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:13 PM   #28
Tomtheman5
Antagonistic Antagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
I remember when I was a kid that the Amazon loses 1 football sized area per day to human destruction.
Given that the square footage of a football is probably about 1 square foot... I think we're doing alright!

Seriously though, Wikipedia says that it's more than that - they give estimates of up to 120,000 km a year... That's more than 125 square miles a day. So sad that reforestation costs so much...
Tomtheman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:03 PM   #29
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coign View Post
Except you can re-plant the cows for McBurgers. You can't replant the rainforest at any cost effective method.
Well actually all you have to do is leave it alone and wait, but that's not very time effective.
I wonder if they just planted a few common types of trees, using the same methods the lumber companies do here, if the diversity would return in time? By making a home for the critters and birds that spread seeds, it might. Of course, as I mentioned before, the soil is so poor it would take some time.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:09 AM   #30
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coign View Post
You can't replant the rainforest at any cost effective method.
People are betting you can.

Environmental investment funds such as Quadris invest in projects to regenerate forests that have been destroyed by logging or farming in the developing world. Smaller companies such as Bournemouth-based group Oxigen Investments are taking advantage of the demand for sustainable investment opportunities. It uses investors' money to create hardwood plantations in Costa Rica - when the wood is harvested, it reduces pressure on natural rainforests and protects thousands of acres more of previously threatened rainforest. Meanwhile, the scarcity of certified sources of hardwood drives the price up, increasing the benefit to investors.