The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 01-03-2018, 09:52 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Jan 4th, 2018: Ann Arbor Deer

Ann Arbor, Michigan, is paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to White Buffalo Inc from CT, to handle their deer overpopulation.
Last January they darted 54 of the sexiest Does they could find, and with the help of local volunteers, gave them an ovariectomy.
This year they are repeating the process on 23 Whitetail sluts, and are looking for yoga mats to make the Does more comfy.

Quote:
Ann Arbor received approval from the Michigan Department of Natural Resources to start doing surgical sterilizations of female deer last winter as a research experiment, combining nonlethal population-control methods with lethal population control. The DNR is allowing the sterilization experiment to continue this year, though a Republican lawmaker from northern Michigan is now proposing legislation to try to put an end to the practice, arguing it's not effective.

During January the same White Buffalo is contracted to bring in sharpshooters to kill up to 250 deer in the third annual cull.
Of course some people are against killing Bambi, and others are freaked out about cull because, you know... guns.

Quote:
Some are frustrated the city won't disclose the specific neighborhoods where shooting is expected to occur on private property, leaving people unsure if shooting might happen near their homes or in areas where people walk their dogs.

The city is being more transparent about the public lands where shooting will occur and has announced closure dates and plans to install signage warning of the shooting.
There's a rule, or law, or edict, I think it goes back to the Pharaohs, that volunteers must be fed.

link

link
Old 01-04-2018, 06:39 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

We have one of these situations at a local college campus. They have a large nature preserve and the fight appears to be mostly deer huggers vs plant huggers. It will look like a moonscape up there if they don't sort themselves out.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:24 AM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

As a people hugger, I would like to see the deer shot killed humanely and I would like to see volunteers preparing the meat for the homeless
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:17 AM   #4
Beest
Adapt and Survive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
As a people hugger, I would like to see the deer shot killed humanely and I would like to see volunteers preparing the meat for the homeless
This
There are lot's of homeless in Ann Arbor too.
I would say we've only seen deer in the back yard since maybe 5 years ago.As a Brit it's astounding, as a kid we used to go to a local stately home and sometimes you would see red deer in the distance.

I understand that over population is bad for the deer too, those killed maybe diseased and unsuitable for human consumption unfortunately. If shooting is the most humane way then so be it, but as Bruce said it's Ann Arbor, guns are bad.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:12 PM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
People are highly, and I mean, HIGHLY, overrated. Fuck 'em. Every one.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:16 PM   #6
glatt

somebody needs a
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Ima wait til you get famous, rich, and powerful, and then, Ima holler sekshal harrassment like Gomer Pyle hollered "Citizen's arrest! Citizen's arrest!"

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:01 PM   #8
monster
I hear them call the tide

There were 5 in the yard the other day. This summer they didn't eat my kale, but I think only because some coyote pooped near it and I left it there.... I can't believe we used to think they were exotic. like chipmunks.

But then here people think hedgehogs and ferrets are exotic...
Old 01-04-2018, 05:05 PM   #9
monster

The University of Michigan did allow them into the Arboretum to shoot in the end.

The main problem is not in people's yards, though -that's just irritating- but they are regularly on the freeways and regular roads causing accidents. You hit a deer, you are lucky if you don't get whiplash. And your car is likely to be a write-off -if not from the deer damage (innards in the engine are apparently a bugger to clean), then from the tit who slams into the back of you because they were driving right up your arse. When I drive to work at 5am,, I never drive in the curb lane because the chance of a deer jumping out in front of me is too great.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:05 PM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

Last time Pete hit a deer she jumped on the brakes and then hit the gas. She bounced on top of and over the thing. Nice piece of driving really.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:24 PM   #11
monster

I'll remember that....
Old 01-04-2018, 06:25 PM   #12
monster

... does it work for the drunks dressed in black who are staggering home down the gutter too?
Old 01-04-2018, 09:33 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I was driving a rental Mustang on a twisty two lane over the Cascades at about midnight. Driving way too fast(as usual) over a hump into a left hand sweeper when I spotted three dear staring at me. Hit the brakes and killed the headlights waiting for the impact. It didn't come. I figure killing the lights broke the spell, and the screech of tires(pre-antilock) spooked them, but there might be a little shit luck involved.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:48 PM   #14
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
People are highly, and I mean, HIGHLY, overrated. Fuck 'em. Every one.
I agree up to about 98%. I reckon there's at least 2% that are worth giving a shit about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
The University of Michigan did allow them into the Arboretum to shoot in the end.

The main problem is not in people's yards, though -that's just irritating- but they are regularly on the freeways and regular roads causing accidents. You hit a deer, you are lucky if you don't get whiplash. And your car is likely to be a write-off -if not from the deer damage (innards in the engine are apparently a bugger to clean), then from the tit who slams into the back of you because they were driving right up your arse. When I drive to work at 5am,, I never drive in the curb lane because the chance of a deer jumping out in front of me is too great.
Out here (edge of the Cascade foothills), they say "Don't veer for deer." The logic being, trying to dodge a deer on the windey, forested foothill roads in this rural area is a sure way to end up smashing your rig into a tree or plunging down a precipitous gorge.

Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:20 AM   #15
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post

Down here, we have people killed in accidents with deer. I personally know of 2 wrecks where another veh hit the deer, the deer was launched, ad then it came through the windshield of another vehicle.

Deer taste good. They should permit bow hunting in the city to thin the population. Towns with over population of deer around here issue special permits for the bow hunting.