The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 01-31-2012, 07:54 PM   #376
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey
My dorm was fairly nondescript for being on an old college campus. I had roommates until about halfway through senior year.
Wow, dorms all the way to senior year. That would have been so nice. At the University of Texas, dorms are pretty much exclusively reserved for freshmen. After that you can enter an extremely small lottery, or become an RA, but otherwise you're expected to find somewhere else to live. There are just too many students. A major portion live in collections of apartment complexes 10-15 miles away and ride bus shuttles in every day.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:08 PM   #377
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Small college, about 2500 students at the time. You couldn't bring a car until sophomore year (not like I had one to bring) but I had one later and I had to park in BFE, and most lived either in dorms or sorority/fraternity housing. I was awed by those who had off campus apartments. The town itself was about 5000, counting students. The apartment above the town newspaper building was the spot on earth, as far as I was concerned. I knew two sets of people who shared it and I fell in love with old places.

I guess it was 'bucolic.'
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:25 PM   #378
Griff
still says videotape

Bucolic : Is that French for smells like a dairy?
Old 01-31-2012, 08:25 PM   #379
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Wolverine
Old 01-31-2012, 08:54 PM   #380
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Glatt you Radster!!
Old 02-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #381
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Small college, about 2500 students at the time.
My college was similar. It had possibly the most beautiful campus of all the colleges I visited. Lots of old stone buildings and large greens in between them. Situated on top of a hill overlooking the eastern end of Long Island Sound. Surrounded by hundreds of acres of woods owned by the college.

I had a roommate freshman year, but from sophomore year on, everyone had a single room. They were small rooms, but they were your own. Senior year, I got to live in the foreign language dorm, because I was a German major. It was the nicest dorm on campus with pretty big rooms for singles, and it was a nice old building with thick walls and a window sill about two feet deep that I always sat on. I could poke my head out the window and see out into the Sound in the distance. I think I did that once.

The dorm in the very center of this picture was where I lived senior year, and the dorm closest to the camera was where I spent my junior year.
Name:  620x434.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  98.7 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #382
Clodfobble

This isn't the whole campus, but it's close. The circled building was my dorm freshman year. Third floor, windows didn't open, dimensions of the room were about 9.5 feet by 11 feet. But I liked my roommate, so it was all good.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #383
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

My gawd glatt that's a gorgeous campus.

And damn Clod that is amazing. I've always said I wished I'd gone to a bigger school.

I remember wolf saying once how flat Ohio is. Tis true in some parts; there are beautiful hills in southern Ohio. I went to college in the flat part.

The first pic is from the back of campus (fraternity circle) and the second is the front with the old buildings. It's not a very good representation, but I fell in love with the old buildings, the hallowed halls if you will.

The third is back in the day!
Attached Images

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #384
glatt

I'd feel at home on infi's campus, but that huge urban campus in Texas would have been a very different experience.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #385
Clodfobble

Sure got your exercise though, walking from class to class. They tried to put you in a logical dorm space (my communications classes were all in the two buildings immediately to the left of my dorm, beyond the edge of the photo,) but all your core classes were a crap shoot, you never knew where they would end up. I had some classes in those grey buildings that get cut off in the bottom right, and the biggest dorm on campus, which had its own zipcode, would be just up and to the right of those. None of the private dorms are in the shot.

Tags
dwellar pictures