The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-10-2017, 10:44 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Megan Phelps-Roper explains it

https://www.ted.com/talks/megan_phel..._left#t-155791
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:09 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Do they really need explaining?
Old 06-10-2017, 11:13 AM   #3
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Thanks Undertoad for the link to that video.

Let me ask you, what specific conflicts come to mind when you listen to her talk? Is something on your mind besides WBC?
Old 06-10-2017, 11:17 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Right now we have what may be an unfit President, we can't talk about it though cuz it turns into mocking people instead of appreciating the pain folks were feeling when they voted.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #5
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Hey Griff.

I promise I won't mock.

Pain is hard to ignore, pain is a powerful motivator. I can definitely see how it could have affected people when they voted. What kind of pain were you feeling then?
Old 06-10-2017, 11:42 AM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

I didn't vote for him, but in the general election Trump was the one who mirrored the anger of the, no longer, working people. The DNC chose not to engage with them. It is easier to create blame than solutions but the Democrats didn't even try.

Fast forward to now it is easy to mock Trump voters as going against their self-interest but for them to shake off their faith in him there needs to be another path that isn't the same slow death they were experiencing.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:50 AM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Don't mock them, mock him. Keep his ineptitude in the forefront and let his supporters judge for themselves.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2017, 01:03 PM   #8
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

^That one tickles my funny bone.^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I didn't vote for him, but in the general election Trump was the one who mirrored the anger of the, no longer, working people. The DNC chose not to engage with them. It is easier to create blame than solutions but the Democrats didn't even try.

Fast forward to now it is easy to mock Trump voters as going against their self-interest but for them to shake off their faith in him there needs to be another path that isn't the same slow death they were experiencing.
Griff, his eyes open. I've been voting for over two score now and I've previously always voted Democrat. I'm not a Democrat. I'm Independent and that's just the way it worked out based on my assessment of whose election would be best for the country.

Sociologists have written about cultural differences in time perspective. Americans generally think in terms of every four years, from one presidential election to another; whereas, older cultures think in terms of generations. I've been exposed to that way of thinking. I no longer limit my selection to who's going to be easiest to live with in the short term.

The Democrats not only began taking the short term thinking of most Americans for granted, they've come to see those votes as an entitlement. It was time to lock their heels. My only faith in Trump was that he could shake up the status quo bad enough to remind the body politic of its long term obligations. One step back to enable multiple steps forward down the line. Our system of checks and balances in combination with four year terms limits the downside.

Now we wait to see which will be the most improved, Democrats or GOP. If neither does in the next four years ... third party. There's a method to the madness that put an over the top Trump on top. Whether or not anyone agrees with it is moot until the next election, impeachment notwithstanding.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #9
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

That sign is outstanding.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #10
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
^That one tickles my funny bone.^

Griff, his eyes open. I've been voting for over two score now and I've previously always voted Democrat. I'm not a Democrat. I'm Independent and that's just the way it worked out based on my assessment of whose election would be best for the country.

Sociologists have written about cultural differences in time perspective. Americans generally think in terms of every four years, from one presidential election to another; whereas, older cultures think in terms of generations. I've been exposed to that way of thinking. I no longer limit my selection to who's going to be easiest to live with in the short term.

The Democrats not only began taking the short term thinking of most Americans for granted, they've come to see those votes as an entitlement. It was time to lock their heels. My only faith in Trump was that he could shake up the status quo bad enough to remind the body politic of its long term obligations. One step back to enable multiple steps forward down the line. Our system of checks and balances in combination with four year terms limits the downside.

Now we wait to see which will be the most improved, Democrats or GOP. If neither does in the next four years ... third party. There's a method to the madness that put an over the top Trump on top. Whether or not anyone agrees with it is moot until the next election, impeachment notwithstanding.
I think you've done a good job of expressing my feeling toward the Trump campaign & subsequent election. The chaos was the important part. Even if he hadn't won, the shit show he put on did enough damage to the foundations of the 2 party system, that future elections will be more American.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:00 PM   #11
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Why would it? I hear Dwayne Johnson is going to be running for president. If I am going to be butt fucked I would just as well have Dwayne do it. He is much better looking than Trump.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:18 PM   #12
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
TL;DR

Her pa was crushing her smokes
Old 06-12-2017, 02:58 PM   #13
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhook455 View Post
Why would it? I hear Dwayne Johnson is going to be running for president. If I am going to be butt fucked I would just as well have Dwayne do it. He is much better looking than Trump.
Probably better hung, too.

I'd take Trump. I don't even wanna know he's back there.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote