The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I'm back. Oh my back.

Hello everyone.

I've been reading as I can. I've been off work with a back injury. More about that in a minute.

I can't give updates to the situation at work because I haven't been there. I took Friday off as a mental health day and I seriously started to feel better about things. Saturday I came here to the public library. I got a couple books and a couple movies. Had a nice chat with the librarian, and a nice old man commented to me about the weather as I was leaving and he was coming in. I felt good. I thought no matter what I can do this.

Dog had other ideas (you know, the Dog that dyslexic insomniacs think about all night?) As I got into my car it was BOOM to my lower back. I had no idea what happened. I got out of my car and tried to stretch. Great. I had a spasm, right? As many of you know I get those all the time in my upper back/shoulders.

Went to get lunch and I could not get out of my chair to leave. I was hanging on to the table for about ten minutes, trying to find the strength to straighten out without screaming. Finally I clutched the wall and made it out the door and into my car, crying all the way.

I thought I'd go home, rest it, ice it, heat it, ibuprofen it, acetominophen it. To no avail. I got up Sunday morning and drove myself to the ER (for those of you who live truly and completely alone...can I get a WITNESS?) I don't know how I did it. They finally gave me some sort of pain shot and the relief was unbelievable. They did every test but an MRI (they only do those on weekends if it's an emergency apparently) but I got a cat scan and xrays and this and that blood and urine tests. They had me get a ride because of the pain shot. Can you get a ride they asked, because we can give you something stronger? I can get five rides give me whatever you got. Mom came and got me which worked out because the girls were coming over for Sunday dinner and I was in little pain and got to enjoy that time.

I decided I could go home so dad took me to my car and followed me (he was going to his lake/land to meet a buddy and that is down from the hospital which is down from where I live...so that worked out too.) Oh, and he took me to the pharm where mom and I had dropped off my prescriptions earlier.

They gave vicodin and a muscle relaxer. We were off work Monday for veteran's day. I thought time and the meds would do it. Well, no.

I called Tuesday and said I was going to my doc. He said they treated the symptoms but not the cause: the inflammation. Gave me a shot of prednisone and a script for percocet and more prednisone. (Vics are a joke and I don't know why pill lovers love them. they don't do shit.)

He said "you can't go to work" and gave me a note for until today. Have to go back tomorrow. That looks good I"m sure. An altercation with an asshat and then I'm off for a week. (Then again, asshat if from Nawlins and probably has a voodoo doll that looks like me: fat and old and tired, with a perpetual wrinkled forehead from pain and worry.)

(to be continued)

Last edited by infinite monkey; 11-15-2012 at 11:30 AM.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
infinite monkey

My fucking phone won't hold an internet connection for more than a couple minutes at a time. Was able to respond to a PM from ortho (thanks, hon!) but that was dumb luck.

I came to the library today because I need to get out. I have to go to work tomorrow, you know? I'm sitting here in excruciating pain and I don't know how I can. I really don't.

It has to be more than muscular. Trying EVERYTHING and it seems like even the percocets aren't making a dent.

I hurt and I cry and YELL myself off the chair, or into the chair, or out of bed, because it hurts so much. Just sitting here, I"m almost in tears.

It's hard to drive, especially with my crappy rear view due to my convertible top, and I can't see behind me very well.

My 'best' friend made sure to text me to say to let her know when I feel better so I can come over and hang out. No 'do you need anything?' or some such. That's OK, I don't need anything I've been making short trips into town...but it sucks. Mom would do anything for me but I have been able to make it, so far.

eta: you know, the friends who owe me money, who I do all kinds of things for? I need to rethink that situation. Again. She's probably mad I am off work and have insurance, and I'll get paid because I'm almost maxed out on my vacation time as it is...nearing 240 hours, being so privileged and all.

eta eta: that was shitty. I'm feeling sorry for myself as I said.

Last edited by infinite monkey; 11-15-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
infinite monkey

I read that monster has been having back issues too? I know she has had trouble (I've not been able or have had the gumption to bacefook) but this just proves we are twins seperated at birth. monster, if you're reading this I hope you feel better.

So life just sucks and I'mfeeling sorry for myself and I don't know how I"m going to get back out of this chair.

Miss you all. Thanks for listening.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
Beest
Adapt and Survive

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
I read that monster has been having back issues too? I know she has had trouble (I've not been able or have had the gumption to bacefook) but this just proves we are twins seperated at birth. monster, if you're reading this I hope you feel better.

no shit, this is like reading her story for most of the week, except I have been able to do the driving for a couple of days. Fortunatley we are out of the 6 am swim practice regime.

Same sorts of drugs but not obvioulsy effective.

One of the best things has been hot pads, folded damp towel, heat in microwave then put in gallon zip loc bag.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

yor back.

yor funny, even if your back pain isn't.

I'd tell you to heal, but that's a Dog thing, ain't it?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
glatt

Damn! Sorry, Infi! That sucks big time. I hope you get better quickly.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
infinite monkey

Thanks BigV, and glatt.

I've been wanting to talk to my friends here all week. Thanks for caring.

Oh, and I have to do physical therapy. They're supposed to call me.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Wow, sorry your back is still so bad! Getting out of the house is good ... just hope you can get back safely.

Wish we could send chicken soup and homemade bread electronically ... they might just team up with the meds to do the trick.

Feel better very very soon!
Old 11-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
infinite monkey

Thanks ortho, and beest.

Beest, give monster a big hug for me. Almost typed bug hig...which is better. Give her a bug hig for me...she's not a hugger. I almost typed Hot a nugger. Hahahaha. Maybe the drugs at least keep me funny.

OK, now I'm really leaving. I just craved conversation so much.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
infinite monkey

One more thing: I'm thinking a twelve pack might help, added to the percs. Had I picked this week to stop being crazy? Bzzzzzt. Try again.

(kidding)
Old 11-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #11
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
One more thing: I'm thinking a twelve pack might help, added to the percs. Had I picked this week to stop being crazy? Bzzzzzt. Try again.

(kidding)
you take the percs....i'll drink the beer (hey! somebody's got to do it!)

get well soon hun!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #12
SamIam

Sorry to read you're in such a painful situation (both physiologically and emotionally). Percs never did much for me either. I agree with Trilby's advise to up the dose slightly. Sometimes this will cause them to finally kick in. Get well soon!
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #13
Nirvana
Back in 10

Oh IM that sounds fucking awful! It sounds like a bulging disc. When I had one pain meds did nothing I had demerol shots at the hospital. Had to sleep on the floor no mattress and I cried for 4 days. I hope the steroids work for you. You need one of these for when you are better. Makes the muscles stronger holds the spine in place = no disc problems..

http://www.target.com/p/giaim-strong...i_sku=13561601
Old 11-16-2012, 05:31 AM   #14
Griff
still says videotape

Jeez, sorry Infini. Back pain is the worst and shitty cow-orkers can help make it hellish. Chin up and listen to the pros.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #15
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Yeah, try not to mix ... breathing is a good thing. So is a functioning liver.

Not implying anything, it's the twelve-pack plus the acetaminophen - a one-two straight to the old hepatic cells that can give you acute hepatic failure. Really messes up your day.