The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 05-30-2019, 08:17 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Taking the piss out of real names

where they are never going to see it (we hope)......

I live in a city where more kids have hyphenated double-barreled last names than I've had beers. In my life. Six-syllable last names are not uncommon. Occasionally people are more sensible go with a portmanteau (Atkins + Smith = Atkinsmith, real example) ....and sometimes no thought happens at all. E. g. the poor kid I spotted in the program at last night's orchestra concert. Dick Mustapha-B0nem At least put them the other way around? His first name wasn't Dick. But it might as well have been. (and it was an o not a 0)

Kindest regards

Vagina Six-Syllable-Double-Barrel
Old 05-30-2019, 08:21 PM   #2
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

The portmanteau thing is common in some Indian cultures. We have a bunch of kids at our school with crazy-ass long names that are completely different from either of their parents' crazy-ass long names.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:27 PM   #3
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
The portmanteau thing is common in some Indian cultures. We have a bunch of kids at our school with crazy-ass long names that are completely different from either of their parents' crazy-ass long names.
yes, here too (for various cultures) ...but more the hyphenation thing ... when I went to Kindergarten Roundup for my eldest, They said "They don't need to know any of the alphabet, we'll take care of that, but it's helpful if they know their names". I was scared. Then as I was leaving, I saw the names of the current class written out above the coat hooks and it made more sense. Because I guarantee that isn't what is being yelled upstairs when it's time for dinner. Even if mama is really, really mad.

Last edited by monster; 05-30-2019 at 08:41 PM.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote