The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 03-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #2536
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Did you watch the Behind the Scenes video linked at the end? They give you contact information for the people who can take you up there and set it up.

Do it. Doooo eeeeeet.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #2537
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I will.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:49 AM   #2538
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Fun For Children of All Ages

Have a ball with your kids... or without 'em, doing nifty stuff from this 1820 book called Endless Amusement.

Oh, you'll need a good supply of things like Aqua Fortis, Salt Peter, Mercury, Phosphorus, and Sulfur, for the best ones. But some need almost nothing.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #2539
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Alternative

So your mommy and your teachers said you can be anything you want to be, to which you said, I want to be an astronaut. Well reality bites, the US space program devolves and dreams fade.
But buck up bubby, there's an alternative, you can be an aquanaut.
You can be a Saturation Diver.

Quote:
The deeper you dive, the more you get paid. In his second or third year an apprentice may be promoted, or “broken out,” to a full-time diver. His salary will increase to between $60,000 and $75,000. He will start as an “air diver,” diving as deep as 120 feet while breathing regular air. Jobs at this depth might include retrieving tools from the worksite, or cutting and retrieving the polypropylene cord that runs between the surface vessel and the underwater worksite. Next the diver will be assigned to more complex jobs below a hundred feet, for which he must breathe mixed gas in order to avoid suffering the effects of nitrogen narcosis while working with heavy machinery. A full-time mixed-gas diver can earn more than $100,000 a year. He will perform jobs at ever greater depths, with higher degrees of technical difficulty, until his diving supervisor deems him ready to graduate to saturation diving. Sat divers can make $200,000 a year. Sat’s where it’s at.
And it's great fun.
Quote:
Most divers have horror stories. Paul Spark, who is currently a supervisor on a dive support vessel in the North Sea, worked as a diver for twenty-nine years. During his very first dive, in 1977, to repair a blow-out preventer 410 feet below the surface, his diving bell flooded with water, almost drowning him and his partner. Later he was very nearly crushed by a thousand-pound blind flange, a plate used to seal the end of a pipe; a “rather large wolffish” bit his foot, drawing blood; and while performing salvage work on the Kursk, the nuclear-powered Russian submarine that sank in the Barents Sea in 2000, drowning all 118 aboard, there was a loud explosion. Spark had been using a high-pressure water jet to bore holes in the submarine’s pressure hull when it occurred. He was unharmed, and returned, dazed, to his diving vessel. He never found out what caused the explosion.
So when you finally call home, there will be plenty of stories to avoid those awkward pauses.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #2540
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
So your mommy and your teachers said you can be anything you want to be, to which you said, I want to be an astronaut. Well reality bites, the US space program devolves and dreams fade.
But buck up bubby, there's an alternative, you can be an aquanaut.
You can be a Saturation Diver.

And it's great fun.

So when you finally call home, there will be plenty of stories to avoid those awkward pauses.
A friend of mine once posted something about not taking any form of transportation that you can't walk home from if it breaks down. I think this might be a similar situation.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #2541
busterb
NSABFD

This guy, Steven Mis????? ovich, set,at the time a world record for underwater pipe welds. He stopped diving when someone cut his air off. I welded with him for Brown & Root. Think was 1979.
Not too long after, he passed away from Leukemia. Think his estate got bucks from B&R
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2013, 02:33 AM   #2542
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Pictures of kids in 30 counties with their favorite toys.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #2543
glatt

Excellent link, Bruce.

I'm struck by the different economic levels and the houses just as much as by the toys.

Look at all that insulation in the wall of the Swedish house! And the dirty (actually coated with earth) sheets in one of those mud huts in Africa. And all the kids are proud of their toys, regardless of economic level.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #2544
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Lifespan Calculator

Only 13 questions.

Accuracy? I'll let ya know in about 15 years.

Congratulations??? I don't think so, Scooter.

Name:  wha.JPG
Views: 278
Size:  55.2 KB

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #2545
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'm already dead.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #2546
glatt

I got 91, but I don't believe that for a second. No-one in my family has made it past 82, and most have died in their 60s and 70s.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #2547
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I'm already dead.
Hang in there, Bruce.

Maybe you'll get over it.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #2548
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

88, but I haven't saved that much money. I might have to sell a kidney to finance the last decade.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #2549
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

It put me at 93 - 96 depending on how active I say I am ...

Just one little question they forgot to ask.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #2550
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Sounds right.