The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-31-2016, 11:38 PM   #31
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Why is this is a thing we are paying attention to. Are all other problems solved?

If the next two seasons are a Chip Kelly tire fire, I will be entertained by it and it sounds like this event may help fan the flames.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:54 PM   #32
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

I don't follow football. Not at all. I just thought it would be funny if we could build this story up enough to get Donald Trump to label the guy a terrorist. Watching the news for it.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:16 AM   #33
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Why is this is a thing we are paying attention to. Are all other problems solved?

If the next two seasons are a Chip Kelly tire fire, I will be entertained by it and it sounds like this event may help fan the flames.
I don't envy Chip. He got the hell out of dodge (Philly) just as the racist label was starting to stick. Cutting DeSean and LaShawn.... Keeping Riley Cooper.... Clearly a white supremacist.... Now this lands in his lap. Just change your name to Adolf, Chip. You're doooomed.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:24 AM   #34
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
I don't have any issue with him having his girlfriend's opinion. Been there, done that... It won't end well... Nessa Diab is his Yoko.
I don't think you know this any more than "He has no idea what those people face on a daily".

Quote:
I have an issue with him trying to turn the spotlight away from something I enjoy and trying to force 'these conversations' onto people that don't give a fuck about his pet issue.
So are you against other players with their pet issues like curing cancer and supporting our troops, or are you just against his issue because it doesn't affect you?

Quote:
I love football. It's church to me. I look forward to Sunday. The last thing I want is for it to become the venue for random cork soakers to stand in front of reporters and talk shit about what other people 'should' do or How this county 'should' be.
But church is exactly where that shit is talked about.

Quote:
I was disgusted by his broad brush allegations about cops murdering minorities and being rewarded with paid leave. It's a juvenile, reactionary and inflammatory thing to say. He has no idea what those people face on a daily. He hasn't even read UT's pawn shop thread.
If you can't acknowledge that there's a problem, you aren't paying attention
Quote:
To condemn the entire country because of some overblown news stories about the oppression of rioters and cop haters is indicative of an emotional childish mind. Tw would not approve.
That there's a wide brush. You really have no concept of the blcak experience

Quote:
But it sure seems like he is reciting some shit his girl has been brain washing him with.
Assumption

Quote:
Football is about football. Nothing else. Don't bring your personal agenda to the game. That's not what the people that paid the money they earned came to see. Stand up with your teammates and give the contest 100% effort. One hunnet.
I would be consistent, then, if you are as outraged when a player genuflects, or points to the sky, or attributes his success to god. Are you?
Old 09-01-2016, 08:59 AM   #35
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

posting line by line retorts like that is akin to interrupting someone repeatedly.

and.... your fly is down
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:01 AM   #36
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Caught you looking, ya perv
Old 09-01-2016, 09:50 AM   #37
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
I was disgusted by his broad brush allegations about cops murdering minorities and being rewarded with paid leave.
How is that "broad brush"? Was he saying that the vast majority of cops are on paid leave after killing minorities? That would be broad brush. Or was he saying that the vast majority of cops who kill minorities get no more punishment than paid leave? That's not broad brush.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:08 AM   #38
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Standing for a flag and national anthem is about respect. It says nothing about support or attacking a nation. Plenty of non-Americans should also stand for the national anthem? If not, they should be condemned? Nonsense. It is only a flag. Far more relevant is the issue.

One can criticize a venue he has chosen. But that in no way and in no manner affects football. Football and some cops who are racist with their guns are two completely different issues.

We need only go back to Vietnam when so many burned flags. What do we know now? Those flag burners were right. Go figure. They were wrong among those who were only emotional and deceived back then. Now they were right after we learned facts. They used the flag only for what it is - a symbol.

Only a fool would worship a flag. At best, we give it respect. Whether he sat or stood in no way affects football - if one is dealing with this controversy logically. The flag has no relationship to football.

However, the NFL combines both to promoted the NFL for increased profits. The NFL has no business wrapping themselves in the flag. But it works when promoting to the emotional - who somehow assume a flag and football are all about patriotism.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:54 PM   #39
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
The thing I find most ironic about the argument that standing shows respect for those who died for our freedoms, is that one of those freedoms they died for was freedom of speech, or expression. (actions are considered expression and therefore fall under "speech")

The first amendment serves to protect speech, in particular unpopular speech. Popular speech, such as standing during the SSB, clearly doesn't need protecting unlike dissenting speech.

The other issues such as class, taste, appropriateness, hypocrisy, relevance, mendacity, are all up for discussion, but his patriotism, I feel, is not.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:15 PM   #40
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
I don't follow football. Not at all. I just thought it would be funny if we could build this story up enough to get Donald Trump to label the guy a terrorist. Watching the news for it.
Maybe Trump will build a wall around the guy.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:35 PM   #41
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Trump was surprised how many Mexicans were in favor of the wall. They were throwing bricks at him for the wall.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:41 PM   #42
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Due to evil terrorists, we now build big walls even around NFL games. You cannot even bring your favorite flask containing a preferred spirits. Terrorist won again. Got us to build more walls. And to drink only what their religion wants us to drink.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:10 PM   #43
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Trump was surprised how many Mexicans were in favor of the wall. They were throwing bricks at him for the wall.
Well yeah...they want to keep him out.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:43 AM   #44
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

[spinmeister] The Donald just wants to provide racquetball* courts for underprivileged children in Mexican border towns. [/spinmeister]

*They may have to settle for handball as racquets are expensive.

*In lieu of handballs they may have to use armadillos.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:09 AM   #45
Griff
still says videotape

They will crush it in the next Olympics. Thanks Donald!