The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-27-2008, 03:27 PM   #1711
bbro
Insert witty comment here

I'm sick - again. I had to cancel plans for this weekend that I was REALLY looking forward too because I don't want to infect anyone....except my co-workers that is.

Ducks, good to hear about the single line! I have been there before!
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:50 PM   #1712
monster
I hear them call the tide

my nose has been bleeding for abiout half an hour now... I think it's nearly stopped but I'm well pissed off at this point.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:45 AM   #1713
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Actually being up the duff wouldnt bother me at all, its being up the duff to someone who dumped me that would blow dog balls.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:05 AM   #1714
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

"Up the duff" is a new one on me. I like it!
Old 03-28-2008, 09:35 AM   #1715
monster

It can't possibly be -the board's been swamped with Brits and Aussies for the last two years.....
Old 03-28-2008, 09:41 AM   #1716
Shawnee123

Usually, my ex sis-in-law who lives in NZ, tells me some of the better phrases. I rarely get to use them in conversation around here; most of the people I hang around barely grasp the local vernacular. But she never told me that one. I think it's great.

So, it means "preggers" but what is the origin, or why does it mean that?
Old 03-28-2008, 10:11 AM   #1717
monster

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/397300.html

sorry, I appear to have misplaced my beloved dictionary of euphemisms, so here's a little something I googled.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:20 AM   #1718
Shawnee123

Wow!
Old 03-28-2008, 12:10 PM   #1719
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

What I find really interesting about that, Monster, is that slang describing pregnancy is derived from male, not female physiology. That's fascinating. The last vestiges of the medieval concept of conception perhaps? The idea that the woman just houses/provides a fertile bed for, the male seed which then becomes a child.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:21 PM   #1720
DanaC

Not upsetting as such...but, I don't want to start a whole new thread when there's a handy pre-made thread here:

I finished with D. It wasn't working. Unfortunately, in the three months it's taken for me to feel sure about that he has started to fall in love with me.....so...long story short, I've hurt a good friend quite badly. But hey.....can't know 'til you try can you? Trouble is, I agreed to give take a bit of time and talk again see if I still felt the same way, only, there's a bunch of really serious contentious politics shit going on in the party and a big meeting tonight (some of you will know about the complaint I made against a fellow member? the final meeting is tonight) so....we've talked pretty much every day about party business....he's totally fighting my corner at the moment so I feel guilty that actually i really wanted just a couple of day not talking to him...is that mean?

I said to him, let's talk once this hellish week is done with. He agreed. So...now i'm in limbo. As far as I am concerned the relationshhip is over...but til we've closed it properly the atmosphere is weird. He offered me a lift back from a meeting last night and I said I had already sorted a lift out (with my ex and best friend J).....he was really hurt. I just couldn't bear the thought of a car journey whilst this is all still floating about.

Anyway...that's where I'm at. To cap it off I feel sick with tension abotu tonight's meeting. Tonight we vote whether to send the matter to the national party for them to investigate and deal with. What they do with it I don't much care. I want him on record in our party as being a bully....as there being enough evidence to convince the local party that something's amiss. The panel that's reporting on it feel there's a case to be answered. Now it's all down to number. By my maths, if all my people show and all his people show we've got a 14-13 split.....with two unknowns (not in either camp) which could swing it either way.

If he gets away with this he is going to be fucking insufferable. The meeting is going to be ...contentious. Not looking forward to it....just want to go to bed with a smoke and a good book.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:05 PM   #1721
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Well, looks like things have cleared up with your friend J.... That's good news right?
Old 03-28-2008, 07:25 PM   #1722
DanaC

Oh yeah. Me and J are fine. Glad things are back on an even keel there

Well...we won the vote. The matter has now been referred to the national party to look at. What they decide to do with it almost doesn't matter. The best he can hope for is for the complaint to not be proved ... what he can't get from them is proof of innocence. Essenitally, whatever happens from this point there is a cloud over his record within the party: not because I complained, but because an elected panel of three members found there was a case to answer and a meeting of delegates to the general committee heard from complainant and subject and arrived at the conclusion that there was enough there to warrant referring it to national......basically, if he does this again his 'victim' has something they can point at to say he has been implicated in such behaviour before. He is no longer untouchable and with a blemish-free record at the local level. Whatever the national party finds...every step along this route is held in the local party minutes as a permanent record of events.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:33 PM   #1723
monster

Yay Dana!
Old 03-29-2008, 08:32 AM   #1724
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Really pleased re the Party outcome, really sad to hear about you & D.
If we're both still singlr when I hit 40, fancy trying the other side for a while
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:50 AM   #1725
DanaC

*grins* honey if I was taking a bus to Hebden, you'd be my first choice as travelling companion :P

Tags
swiss