The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 11-20-2014, 02:27 PM   #10441
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Right now? I actually do not know. He sort of explained it - but I didnt understand it all. Some of it is to do with coding and some of it is to do with design for computer games - where that plugs into a wider course i don't know.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:59 PM   #10442
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Oh, OK, he teaches electronical incantations and mechanical mayhem.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:54 AM   #10443
DanaC

That's the stuff :P
Old 11-26-2014, 12:20 PM   #10444
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

I received the photo of my Dad's WW2 RN ship which I found on Ebay being offered by a US seller.

The ship was used in the North African landings and on D-Day but Dad didn't join it until late in 1944.
The ship's landing craft are conspicuous by their absence and the colour scheme would indicate that the vessel was deployed in the Mediterranean at the time the photo was taken.
Dad's assumption is that the photo was used as an aid to identification.
Anyway, we're both happy with my purchase.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:26 PM   #10445
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

How many men did she usually hold?
Apologies if you said before.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #10446
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

The crew numbered 523 and it could accommodate up to 1000 troops.

Here's a better shot, complete with landing craft.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #10447
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
How many men did she usually hold?
She held anywhere from 800 to 1800 men, the whore (depending on the Glenroy's actual size, (Wiki link for Landing Ship, Infantry, there's no article specifically for the Glenroy (opportunity knocks, Carruthers)).

Probably 1,800 troops. I see now that the list at the Wiki link lists it as Glenroy LSI(L), the final 'L' indicating large.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:49 PM   #10448
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
She held anywhere from 800 to 1800 men, the whore (depending on the Glenroy's actual size, (Wiki link for Landing Ship, Infantry, there's no article specifically for the Glenroy (opportunity knocks, Carruthers)).

Probably 1,800 troops. I see now that the list at the Wiki link lists it as Glenroy LSI(L), the final 'L' indicating large.
Thanks for that Mr.G. I just asked dad and he came up with 'a thousand'.
Memory plays tricks at his age, but near enough in the great scheme of things.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #10449
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I'd trust Dad's memory from actually being there over what some yob wrote on the interweb.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:16 PM   #10450
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Just found a bit more:

Quote:
Our first call was Arromanches’ we dropped anchor, some distance from the French coast, we lowered the landing crafts , dispatching over 1500 troops, not knowing, but hoping they would fulfil their tasks. During the next eight days we did three more landings at different beaches, the last one deploying Americans near Cherbourg, this proved to be the end for us, as the Glenroy hit a mine. With the engine room flooded to a depth of 35 feet most of the ships crew were evacuated and we were towed by three French tugs back to Southampton, and then to dry dock for repair and re-fit in Cardiff.
I suppose that it would be standing room only, under the circumstances.

D Day from the Engine Room of HMS Glenroy
Old 11-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #10451
DanaC

That's pretty bloody amazing Carruthers!
Old 11-26-2014, 04:22 PM   #10452
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
That's pretty bloody amazing Carruthers!
Yes, it was a stroke of great good fortune and they don't come along too often!

It's kept Dad quite happy and he was only annoyed with me once today.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:19 PM   #10453
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

what's making me happy today:

I'm home, I'm clean, the floor's been swept, the catbox's clean, the animals are all fed, I'm fed and I'm an inch away from being in bed and not much farther than that from being soundly asleep.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #10454
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I just RickRolled my Warranty Rep.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:03 AM   #10455
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I'M HOME!!!

It's been a bit of an ordeal.

It was cold overnight and a light dusting of snow made everything bright this morning. The roadways were dry and clear, it was so cold nothing melted. I drove to work and when I got off, I couldn't unlock my driver's door. The key wouldn't even go in the lock all the way. grrr. The other fella at work helpfully offered the use of his car's cigarette lighter, but that didn't work. I managed, at last, to unlock the hatch. When I opened it, the car's alarm sounded.

Normally, this wouldn't be more than a minor embarrassment, just turn the key in the lock in the driver's door and the alarm is silenced. Of course I can't do that or I wouldn't be clambering into my car through the hatch in the first place. The alarm goes off automatically, thankfully, mercifully after 20 or 30 minutes. jk. maybe a couple minutes? It feels like forever and I'm sure to the neighbors it feels like a long time, too. I get in the car and manage to unlock the door so I don't need to go through the hatch again. I open the unlocked door. This sets off the alarm again.

WHAT THE FUCK EVER.

I'll just drive home with the lights flashing, the hazards flashing, the horn blaring and annoy MY neighbors from the comfort of my own home. *click* VW, in their automotive wisdom, decided that if the door's compromised, then the ignition must be the last line of defense, so that's all shut down. I'm reminded a couple times about the sensitivity of the alarm to the doors opening and closing much to the annoyance of the neighborhood as I'm in and out of the car trying to get the door unlocked.

I looked in the trunk for some solution, and I found some starting fluid. No help. Now, I'd used my lock de-icer with the little straw and the graphite a couple weeks ago. It didn't work. I was worried about breaking the lock or the key or both. I called my friend for help, she was willing, but unable--no car. Damn. Then someone, a stranger, pulled up and parked directly across the street from my spectacle. "Excuse me, do you have any Grey Poupon lock de-icer?"

After some back and forth, the conclusion was no. He suggested the car repair place, you know, right there ----> I pointed to the patch on my jacket, you know, right here <---. Oh. Then he said, what about Safeway? I said, I'll buy you a six pack of beer if you give me a ride to Safeway and back! He said no sixpack was needed. So we drove the mile to the Safeway where the best I could do was a two pack of stick lighters and a can of WD-40. He looked a little worried, I said, this is Plan B. OK. The autoparts store was two more blocks away. I was disappointed when I saw the guy vacuuming the carpet inside the door, but they *were* still open. I scored the LAST tube of lock de-icer.

We drove back to my iceberg and set to work. The guy wished me luck and said "Let me give you my number; if that doesn't work, call me and I'll give you a ride home." So kind.

Well, I used the lock de-icer. I used the lighter. My lock cylinder burned like a candle. I used my Leatherman like a hammer to tap the key further into the lock (gently). The WD-40 around the cylinder and in it. I used my pliers to hold the key partway in the lock as I cooked the exposed part of the key like some demented ice junkie preparing a lock-fix. "Why, yes, officer, I do think this looks a little funny, but it's *my* car and I can explain...." As you know, it's always the last thing that works, and eventually the combination worked. I'm glad I didn't have to use that last one. I drove home windows down, doors unlocked and the passenger seat full of cans of chemicals, starting fluid, wd-40, lock de-icer, butane, whatever it takes.

My car's unlocked now. If there's anything inside, help yourself, just please don't lock it on your way out. I have to get to work in the morning.