The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 12-02-2016, 12:24 PM   #196
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

First thing I notice is that this is not a fixed CCTV camera. Someone's operating it, zooming, tracking the action. There must be a team that monitors the motorway cameras and waits for something unusual to go down, so they can capture anything that happens in detail.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:51 PM   #197
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
First thing I notice is that this is not a fixed CCTV camera. Someone's operating it, zooming, tracking the action. There must be a team that monitors the motorway cameras and waits for something unusual to go down, so they can capture anything that happens in detail.
The Highways Agency is responsible for the motorway cameras which are operated from a number of control centres.

They are primarily used in connection with traffic accidents, breakdowns and congestion management.

I did try to copy and paste the relevant paragraph from the Agency website but, for some unknown reason, random asterisks appeared in the middle of most of the words. LINK.

Public access to the cameras is permitted, but you have to create an account. LINK.

ETA It is possible to see still images from the HA cameras on the travel section of the BBC website.
Not perfect, but it will give you an idea. Click the traffic camera symbol as it's disabled by default.

Last edited by Carruthers; 12-02-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:45 PM   #198
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Here's something Pam doesn't see every day... at least not yet.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2016, 09:19 PM   #199
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Fuel's included, nice. I wonder if a broom is standard equipment as well.

Name:  65.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  33.2 KB

Quote:
The technology was developed by John C. Stennis Space Center to visually assess the presence, location, and extent of hydrogen fires. The need for such equipment was generated by the center's use of more than one million gallons of liquid hydrogen per month in its rocket engine test programs. Indeed, hydrogen fires are a significant risk.
Previously, firefighters responding to a hydrogen fire had to give the suspect area "the broom test" by carefully probing the suspect area with a corn straw broom to determine the presence and location of a fire. This technique has significant safety and accuracy shortfalls, particularly in windy outdoor conditions where flames can easily change direction.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:51 PM   #200
Pamela
Deplorable

I've heard of these coming. I kind of like the appearance. It reminds me of a bullet train locomotive. It looks like it's fast, even parked.

I don't know that I would be comfortable with hydrogen as fuel though. A fuel leak would be....disastrous... to say the least. Natural gas trucks exist now, but are not living up to expectations and are probably going to quietly disappear pretty soon, or will be relegated to local runs only, or to buses and other such vehicles.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:21 AM   #201
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I don't know if it's a forced perspective thing caused by the people in the background or what, but, that thing looks ginormous.

I mean even more so than a regular semi.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:44 AM   #202
glatt

Hydrogen fuel is safer than gasoline.

In a nutshell, hydrogen is more likely to leak than gasoline because it has to be transported under high pressure and the atoms are very small and easily able to escape through smaller holes.

But unlike gasoline, if it does leak, it doesn't hang around or pool on the ground. It disperses faster than most other gasses. It is the least dense gas and will just float right up to the top layers of the atmosphere.

This is a good report on the topic.

Quote:
In many actual leak situations the key parameter that determines if a leak would ignite is the lower flammability limit, and hydrogen’s lower flammability limit is 4 times higher than that of gasoline, 1.9 times higher than that of propane and slightly lower than that of natural as.

The conclusion of this study is that in a collision in open spaces, a safety-engineered hydrogen fuel cell car should have less potential hazard than either natural gas or a gasoline vehicle. In a tunnel collision, a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle should be nearly as safe as a natural gas vehicle, and both should be potentially less hazardous than a gasoline or propane vehicle, based on computer simulations comparing substantial post collision release of gasoline and natural gas in a tunnel. The greatest potential risk to the public appears to be a slow leak in an enclosed home garage, where an accumulation of hydrogen could lead to fire or explosion if no hydrogen detection or risk mitigation devices or measures are applied (such as passive or active ventilation).
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:17 PM   #203
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Great, won't that further destroy the ozone?
Old 12-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #204
glatt

I didn't know the answer to this, but looking in to it, it seems that it won't be a problem. The ozone hole was created mainly by CFCs and they have been regulated out of existence for the most part. So the ozone layer is expected to bounce back. Hydrogen also causes ozone depletion, but not as bad as CFCs so the net result is the ozone situation will continue to improve.

I'm no expert though.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:57 PM   #205
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Sounds good anyway, thanks.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:02 PM   #206
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

There's hydrogen already up there anyway. Not nearly as much as other gasses, but...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #207
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's not the hydrogen, it's what comes out of the tailpipe that's the concern. I guess the exhaust from hydrogen burning is better than diesel.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:09 PM   #208
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
The combustion of hydrogen with oxygen produces water as its only product:

2H2 + O2 → 2H2O
~Wikipedia

Does that apply to our truck's situation. I'm too lazy to find out.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:12 PM   #209
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
There's hydrogen already up there anyway. Not nearly as much as other gasses, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
It's not the hydrogen, it's what comes out of the tailpipe that's the concern. I guess the exhaust from hydrogen burning is better than diesel.
I was more referring to Glatt's and Classic's situation up there around post #202.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:18 PM   #210
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yup, just water vapor coming out.