The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 06-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #2371
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

"The Violent Land" - William W. Johnstone/J.A. Johnstone

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #2372
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I read a lot of his "Ashes" series back in the day. Didn't like it much. I preferred Jerry Ahern's Survivalist.

Finished A Scanner Darkly, am working on The Kobra Manifesto - Adam Hall, and still enjoying The Invention of Air.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #2373
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

The Skeptical Feminist: Discovering the Maid Mother & Crone
by Barbara G. Walker.

Becoming radicalized whilst quietly sitting at home.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #2374
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Started listening to the audiobook of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. Read by Gaiman.

Was sort of enjoying it. It's very good. But wasn't as into it as some of my more recent listens. Just wasn't quite hitting the right buttons. So, decided to step away and listen to the first of a new fantsy series. The Name of the Wind:Part One.

Wow. Just wow. Love it when a book grabs me straight off. Within about five minutes I had settled into the rhythm and feel of this new world, and its instantly likeable and/or intriguing characters. Brilliantly read too. Glad I opted for the audio rather than paperback, because the narrator adds so much to it.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #2375
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I am currently reading The Thirteenth Majestral, by Hayford Peirce. Idle reading in the sci-fi genre. I also read Phylum Monsters prior to this and liked it. Interesting premise and fairly believable. This one is too early to call.

The main reason I dug these two out of the used bookstore stacks is because I happen to know the author and was, until recently, going to have him for dinner. (Yes, I went there! Ha Ha)

He has promised to sign them for me, which will probably double their value. I threatened to return them to the used bookstore (they buy books) and demand more than I paid since they are signed first editions. The owner was less amused than I was.

Next on my reading list (and yes, I *do* read) is Poems from a Transgendered Heart, by Sally Jackson. Yes, I know the author here, too. And yes, she will sign it for me. (Is this a pattern?)

Reviews to come.

Pamela
Old 06-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #2376
Beest
Adapt and Survive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post

Finished A Scanner Darkly, am working on The Kobra Manifesto - Adam Hall, and still enjoying The Invention of Air.
Good movie, probably bears about as much relation to the book as Bladerunner to Do Androids Dream of electric Sheep, but stands on it's own anyway.

On my birthday I had a 50% book voucher at a local store and grabbed Transition by Ian Banks and have just now started reading it, interesting and odd so far.

Checking his bibliography I notice a few I have missed.
I like this description of Matter by Banks, i may have to try it next.
Quote:
"It's a real shelf-breaker," he says enthusiastically. "It's 204,000 words long and the last 4,000 consist of appendices and glossaries. It's so complicated that even in its complexity it's complex. I'm not sure the publishers will go for the appendices, but readers will need them. It's filled with neologisms and characters who disappear for 150 pages and come back, with lots of flashbacks and -forwards. And the story involves different civilizations at different stages of technological evolution. There's even one group who have disappeared up their own fundaments into non-matter-based societies".
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #2377
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Manners From Heaven - Quentin Crisp.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #2378
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

HEY!

'member Hot_Pastrami?

'member he wrote a book?

Here's a link to it in e-book goodness. name your own price, even.

don't be a dick. he's cool.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #2379
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I have a dtb edition of HP's book. It's a lot of fun to read. Damn Interesting, indeed!

Just finished The Forever War - Joe Haldeman. Classic of SF that I somehow skipped over until now.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #2380
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

"In the Garden of Beasts", by Erik Larson. A nonfiction book with a novel-like structure about the American ambassador to Nazi Germany and his family. Very good.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #2381
DanaC

I am sooooo enjoying The name of the Wind. It's the best fantasy book I've 'read' for a long time. Though, as I say it's an audiobook.

Sometimes the main benefits of an audiobook are that it's convenient and doesn't matter if my eyes are tired, but sometimes the audio reading really adds something to the experience. This is one of those times. Such a good reader.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #2382
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

agreed. I just wish I could actually hear him play the sound of the misty forest with his lute.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #2383
DanaC

Ohhhhhh you have it too? Awesomesauce. You're the first person I've spoken to who has heard of it!

[eta] ah man, I just checked and you guys have a different narrator. Daresay as good.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #2384
DanaC

I just listened to the sample of your guy reading. He's good.

But I prefer mine

http://www.audible.co.uk/search/ref=sr_lftbox_1_1

[eta] Just realised the .com site has both the English and American versions available. The .co.uk site only has the English version.

Last edited by DanaC; 06-26-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #2385
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

The Name of the Wind Part 2 is just as good as the first.

I just read most of Hugh Howey's catalog. He's kind of a breakout self-published guy. Good sci-fi/fantasy. Start with the Wool Omnibus Edition.

Currently reading The Inheritance of Rome.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books