The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #2446
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

at the advice of someone I respect (not a dwellar) I've been reading 1,000 gifts or something like that; written by a stay at home mom (on a fucking farm, of course) with six damn children and SHE HOME SCHOOL'S THEM and home-makes all their food and has time to write this book on gratitude even though she saw her little sister killed by a semi.

I hate this fucking bitch. Plus, there's a lot more about washing dishes than I expected.

example: today she's grateful for how the sun makes a rainbow on the soap bubble as she's washing dishes.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I'd rather have a book that had gratitude like: Today I'm grateful that I escaped from prison and so far, no drop bears. You know. REAL stuff.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #2447
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

omg...that's like some lady on TV that makes all these crafts and stuff and I'm like "oh aren't you so clever turning empty clorox bottles into the loveliest Santa Clauses...get a hobby, oh that is your hobby. OK, so keep the hobby but quit being so damn happy about it all the time. It ain't rocket science."

I'm tellin' you, Tril, The Age of Miracles. I loved it.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...ge-of-miracles
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #2448
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post

I'm tellin' you, Tril, The Age of Miracles. I loved it.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...ge-of-miracles
Ok. Just so long as it isn't a course in miracles.

yeah. I fell for that bullshit in the 90's. I'm a ramblin' kind of gal.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 12-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #2449
infinite monkey

Of course it's not a course
Would I send a Trojan Horse
Full of religious force?
No, that would be coarse
Unless of course
You like the horse.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #2450
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I do like the horse!

eta: My sister has a horse. there is NO WAY IN HELL i would do all things you need to do for a horse.

I'll need a groom/stable boy as well as the horse.

—James Barrie

Old 12-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #2451
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
I do like the horse!

eta: My sister has a horse. there is NO WAY IN HELL i would do all things you need to do for a horse.

I'll need a groom/stable boy as well as the horse.
If you had a groom/stable boy, would you still need a horse? :P
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #2452
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
If you had a groom/stable boy, would you still need a horse? :P
damn good question!

—James Barrie

Old 12-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #2453
infinite monkey

Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

But where have all the cowboys gone? Yippee yay yippee yo, I sure don't know.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #2454
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

The Burning House: What Would You Take?

Based on the blog of the same name, this book is a collection of photographs with captions depicting what people would take with them if their houses were burning. "It's a conflict between what's practical, valuable, and sentimental." Feels like a very intimate peek into people's lives.
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #2455
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

I'd grab whatever living thing was nearest (i.e. fur friends), toss it out a window, and make sure the human beans were out. That's it. The rest is replaceable, with more or less inconvenience.

Seriously, do people list the things they grabbed in a real fire? Or do they talk about what they would take in theory?
Old 12-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #2456
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

A bit of both. I've only gotten a little ways in, but among my favorites were the 6 year old who would save his Bumblebee Transformer, and the 60 year old who would take "my cat, and treats for him. My husband, and treats for him."

One photo features a battered childhood teddy bear that has already survived one house fire.

Most of the items focus on memories -- token items from departed loved ones, photo albums for the older generations and external hard drives (with thousands of digital photos) for the younger set.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:34 AM   #2457
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

The Thirsty Muse - about Faulkner, Hemingway, O'Neill, and Fitzgerald and their respective alcoholism. O'Neill was the only one to break the addiction but he was still a son of a bitch when sober. He's the father of Oona O'Neill who, at 18 married a 54 year old Charlie Chaplin and had 8 kids by him. She was very beautiful.

The book postulates that the alcohol ruined the talent but the writers thought just the opposite (except O'Neill) that it fueled their talent; let them see the world more clearly.

Fitzgerald was probably the worst when it came to denial. O'Neill had a ONE EVENING blow out with a bud and stayed in bed for two weeks to recover. Lots about the poisoning agents in etoh during Prohibition; some say the government put those poisons in there----thin the heard and all that. Interesting read if you like literary artists and their insanity. Edna St. Vincent Millay is not included here (it's a book about guys) but her and her morphine/etoh habit are mentioned. She died falling down the stairs. They mention Zelda Fitzgerald who died in an asylum ---- there was a fire and hardly anyone got out. The only thing left of hers they found was one single shoe.

Golden lads and girls all must
as Chimney sweepers
Come to dust.

—James Barrie

Old 12-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #2458
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Re-reading Lord of Light, a Zelazny Sci--fi.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #2459
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Just bought Barbara Kingsolver's 'Flight Behavior'. Looking forward to it very much.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #2460
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Just started Rowling's new book, The Casual Vacancy. I'm only about 15 pages in, and I'll admit it made me giggle to see characters say "fuck." Makes me think of all the cursing Harry Potter would've done if his series had been written for adults. "Voldemort, he's back! Fuckfuckfuck..."

Tags
books