The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:34 AM   #16
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargon View Post
How do you resize a picture so you can post it on the cellar? I can make it physically smaller in paint but I can not make the KB size any smaller.
Maybe you're saving the resized pic at a higher-than-the-original resolution?

Ensmalling a pic usually results in some reduction of file size, I'm not sure what might be going on there.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:44 PM   #17
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Paint reduces the file size in KB when the dimensions are reduced. The new file size doesn't show up in the image's properties displayed in Paint until after you've saved the image.

Instead of clicking on SAVE though, click on SAVE AS and add something to the file name (e.g. Name > Name 2), then you can check the file size of the new saved image and if it isn't sufficiently reduced; or, it became too small, you still have the original from which to try again so you don't get image degradation.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:59 PM   #18
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Thank you Sexobon. That's exactly what we did.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:40 AM   #19
Bitman
cellar smellar

Rumor has it you should shop the Corporate side of whichever computer co you choose, not the Consumer side. Prices are still reasonable, but they're (supposedly) built to a higher standard.

Don't forget to shop used, especially if shopping for corporate laptops.

Definitely ensure you get enough RAM. It's less of a problem now than in the past, but still keep an eye on that. Also definitely get an SSD. Most new laptops include one, but that's another spec to keep an eye on.

Are you switching to Windows or to a hackintosh? If Windows, are you familiar with Windows? You'll just be swapping one set of problems for another.

Re. Lenovo: My main laptop is a Lenovo Y500. The power management software burned out the motherboard once, but a replacement out of China was reasonably priced, and it's been outstanding ever since, especially after being fully upgraded, and it even supports dual GPU.
Bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:06 AM   #20
glatt

I've bought used corporate Dells that were 2-3 years old after the lease expired. I have had outstanding experience doing that. Dell had (and may still have) a store on eBay where they sell these things. You have to research processors and soon understand what type of equipment is coming off lease today and is available for sale. I always buy the best they have to offer on the used market. Those machines at 3 years old have more processing power than a new consumer level machine advertised in the Sunday circulars today. Big problem those is they have no software. Only the OS. So you have to get all the software and load it yourself. It's a lot of work. But you end up with a very good laptop. Just sent my daughter off to college with one of these, and it must be 5-6 years old at this point. Works perfectly. You may be able to find ones that are running Windows 7 Pro.

You'll have no support if you go this route. So I can't recommend it. But I have had great luck.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:25 AM   #21
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Thank you for all of your help. It works as advertised, my mac went to a good home and got a new O/S in the process. The guy that got it doesn't do any thing with pictures so it's golden.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote