The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-14-2019, 10:39 AM   #4111
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

I'm confident they'll eventually flush out the thief.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:14 AM   #4112
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Weather radar picks up mysterious shadow across three states ‘caused by huge dragonfly swarm’

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:33 AM   #4113
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

We had a similar occurrence a few weeks ago but with flying ants.

Name:  Wx Radar.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  55.1 KB

Quote:
A cloud of flying ants that hit the south coast on Wednesday was so dense it could be seen in satellite images from space.

The swarm of insects peppered the skies in the counties of Dorset Hampshire, and West Sussex — and were captured on the Met Office's radar, shocking images show.

Ants were also spotted in Kent and East Sussex. The insects were on their so-called 'nupital flight', during which they mate — an event triggered by the current weather.

Ants swarm together to raise the odds of pairs successfully mating and to deter predators at this vulnerable stage in the life cycle of their colonies.
Link

The link is to a Daily Mail article so be prepared for astronomical amounts of hyperbole.

(See what I did there? )
Old 09-22-2019, 10:45 AM   #4114
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

So the flying ants are looking for love in all the high places.
I thought ants had a queen who got all the action, like bees.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:15 PM   #4115
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Sometime today, a mouse fell out of the White House ceiling into the lap of an NBC reporter.

I knew there was a rat in the Oval Office, but, I didn't know about the mice in the Press Room...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:13 PM   #4116
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I knew there was a rat in the Oval Office, but, I didn't know about the mice in the Press Room...
He cannot get anything right. The mafia lets it be known. That mouse must be a rat. And it must be dead. Only then is the message properly received.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:43 AM   #4117
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

A 30-year-old man was gored by a bison [in June] at a Utah state park, then brought his 22-year-old date there and she was gored too

Old 10-24-2019, 12:22 AM   #4118
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Couldn't readily think of a thread in which to put this

Quote:
Google's paper explains how its 53-bit quantum computer took just 200 seconds to perform a calculation that would have taken the world's fastest supercomputer 10,000 years.
It's called Sycamore.

No wonder he hasn't been around much lately...

Old 10-24-2019, 06:06 AM   #4119
Griff
still says videotape

IBM says they're bullshitting us.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:31 PM   #4120
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

IBM better hope so.

Old 10-24-2019, 10:53 PM   #4121
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
IBM says they're bullshitting us.
They were also bullshitting us in 1948 when they made a transistor? We all know transistors, implemented in machines back then, and today's transistors are not point contact transistors. So those three guys, who got the Nobel Prize, were lying?

Article says same about the Wright Bros.

They did fundamental research that proved fundamental scientific theories work. One of many major steps necessary before even application research can start. Nobody is yet close to application research to make a truly functional quantum computer. But we now know this new technology is proven; has a future; will be coming.

Just one of many products based in quantum physics that, in 50 years, will become dominant in our lives. But only in nations that do what Google, et al does. And not what GM, Sears/Kmart, GE, and other 'we want to make profit' companies do.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:13 AM   #4122
Griff
still says videotape

I'm not sure what's up with you right now, tw, but I won't be engaging.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:27 AM   #4123
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Article says same about the Wright Bros.
Citation, please.

I triple dog dare ya.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:34 AM   #4124
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I triple dog dare ya.
Quote:
Google CEO Sundar Pichai likened the experiment to the first flight by the Wright Brothers. "The first plane flew only for 12 seconds, and so there is no practical application of that," he said. "But it showed the possibility that a plane could fly."
Old 10-25-2019, 12:20 PM   #4125
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
They were also bullshitting us in 1948 when they made a transistor?
The Transistor was invented by Bell Labs not IBM. Just so you know.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote