The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-08-2019, 10:35 AM   #1681
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Actor Albert Finney, 82, following a short illness.

ETA: He was kinda Trumpian, when he was younger:

Name:  af.JPG
Views: 447
Size:  36.3 KB

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

Last edited by Gravdigr; 02-08-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:49 PM   #1682
monster
I hear them call the tide

John Dingell. Longest ever serving Congressman. Succeeded by his wife Debbie. I was kind of skeptical about such shennanigans, but I'm a convert. Debbie Does Good. Pologirl and I heard her speak at the first Women's march here in AA and she was impressive. Wasn't a citizen with voting rights when john was our Rep, but locals and respected friends are mourning.

https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor...st-nation.html
Old 02-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #1683
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

If you've ever toiled within or beneath your car with spanner and Haynes Manual to hand, you'll be sorry to hear of the death of John Haynes.

Name:  John Haynes.JPG
Views: 367
Size:  27.0 KB

Quote:
John H Haynes OBE dies aged 80: obituary to the founder of Haynes Publishing Group and Haynes International Motor Museum.

He would always greet others with 'his infectious warmth and engaging, enthusiastic boyish smile'

The death has been announced today (February 11) of the creator of the Haynes Manual and founder of a publishing empire and motor museum.

The Haynes International Motor Museum is situated at Sparkford, Yeovil which for many years has been the main base for Haynes publishing.

The company has paid tribute to its founder, saying he will be "missed enormously" and has issued an obituary.

A spokesman for Haynes said: "It is with great sadness that we announce the death of John H Haynes OBE, the creator of the famous Haynes Manual, founder of the Haynes Publishing Group PLC and the Haynes International Motor Museum.

"John passed away peacefully surrounded by his family on the evening of Friday February 8, aged 80, after a short illness.

"John was a kind, generous, loving and devoted husband, brother, father and grandfather, who will be missed enormously.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Annette, his brother David and sister Mary, his sons J and Chris and their families."
Link

I've got about a dozen Haynes Manuals including, Heathrow Airport, The Moon, Apollo 11, Airbus A380, D-Day, London Underground, Flying Scotsman and the Cold War.

Strangely I don't appear to have the VW Passat 1988-96 edition.

Last edited by Carruthers; 02-15-2019 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Duplication of 'with'.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #1684
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Engine Removal

Step 1. Disconnect all wires, hoses, and electronic connections.
Step 2. Remove the bolts from the motor mount(s).
Step 3. Remove the engine.

Installation is the reverse of removal.
Yeah, loved those Haynes manuals.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #1685
Griff
still says videotape

Seems easy enough.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:42 PM   #1686
Flint
Snowflake

IT Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Engine Removal
Quote:
Step 1. Disconnect all wires, hoses, and electronic connections.
Step 2. Remove the bolts from the motor mount(s).
Step 3. Remove the engine.

Installation is the reverse of removal.
*Step 0. TAKE PICTURES
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:17 PM   #1687
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Who needs pictures when you have a Haynes manual?

It comes with pictures.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:31 AM   #1688
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If it only came with instructions that helped.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:46 AM   #1689
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Motorsports artist Sam Bass died Feb 16. He was 57.

You may have seen his work at some point; he had pretty distinct style.

Name:  ricky bobby.JPG
Views: 651
Size:  66.2 KB

Old 02-17-2019, 05:53 AM   #1690
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Also, Dick Churchill, the last survivor of the actual Great Escape, not the movie, the actual escape from Stalag Luft III.

He was 99.

Quote:
Dick Churchill was the last surviving of the 76 escapees before his death on 15 February 2019; then an RAF Squadron Leader, he was among the 23 not executed by the Nazis. Churchill, a Handley Page Hampden bomber pilot, was discovered after the escape hiding in a hay loft. In a 2014 interview at the age of 94, he said he was fairly certain that he had been spared execution because his captors thought he might be related to British Prime Minister Winston Churchill.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:06 AM   #1691
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Also, Dick Churchill, the last survivor of the actual Great Escape, not the movie, the actual escape from Stalag Luft III.

He was 99.
A few years ago there was a Ch 4 documentary about an excavation of the Stalag Luft III site.
I recall that the archaeologists found a number of the powdered milk tins that were used to dig the tunnels in the Great Escape.
I'm not a fan of dramatised documentaries but, as a whole, it's worth watching.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:44 AM   #1692
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Ken Nordine died Saturday at 98.
I guess I thought he died years ago.
Someone stole my two albums of his "Word Jazz" and "Son of Word jazz," so they hadn't popped up in going through my LP shelves over the years and stayed gone against hope this morning.
He has a shitload of videos on YouTube, however, and I am going through some great old memories as I type.
Flibberty Jib, Hunger is From. Looks like its going to Rain!!!!
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:20 AM   #1693
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

OK, that is officially weird. It must be that Ken Nordine didn't affect anyone here but me.
What he did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k88msPKWkKY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4qdLuwCib0
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:50 AM   #1694
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim View Post
OK, that is officially weird. It must be that Ken Nordine didn't affect anyone here but me.
What he did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k88msPKWkKY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4qdLuwCib0
That is some weird, lame shit. People actually spent money on this guy's albums? Did they come with a tab of acid tucked inside?

The telling of a "story," with obnoxious human/mouth noises and overproduced sounds in the background, sort of reminds me of this (made better with commentary by Mark and Brian):

Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:54 AM   #1695
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Karl Lagerfeld, fashion designer, died Feb 19. He was 85.

No fish as of yet.

Quote:
Lagerfeld owned a red point Birman cat named Choupette, which, in June 2013, he indicated he would marry, if it were legal.
~Wiki

Tags
bought the farm, dead not loved, famous corpses, karked it, kicked the bucket, pining for the fjords, pushing up the daisies, roadkill, sleeps with the fishes, taking a dirt nap, the dead zone, worm food