The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-14-2007, 03:33 PM   #46
rkzenrage

More violence is a deterrent to violence! ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by rkzenrage; 07-14-2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:37 PM   #47
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It certainly would be to these rodents.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:57 PM   #48
Uisge Beatha
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Make sure they never do it again plus a deterrent the the fuckers in waiting.
Indeed, they would not be able to do it again. I'd say the same result would be achieved by lifetime imprisonment. As to deterrence, I am not so sure. I've heard various claims denouncing the deterrent value of prison, so I fear the same might hold true here. I honestly don't know if it would have the desired effect. I must admit I am fairly certain Bruce knows more about this than I do; he seems much more knowledgeable and well-read on social issues. My ethics are my own guide here, though, and they are quite firmly established.

I actually respect everyone else's right to their opinions and appreciate the opportunity to discuss them. At the moment it seems rather obvious to me that we are at something of an impasse, however. Perhaps for now it would be best (as the expression goes) to simply agree to disagree.
Uisge Beatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:57 PM   #49
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
What possible difference does it make what kind of disorder the monsters have. Are you going to worry about what kind of disorder Godzilla might have while he eats the god damn city?
Ummmmmm read my second part of the my post, I don't agree any less with you that they are monsters.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:21 PM   #50
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uisge Beatha View Post
As to deterrence, I am not so sure. I've heard various claims denouncing the deterrent value of prison, so I fear the same might hold true here.
You're right about prison not being a deterrent. The street punks aren't afraid of prison. They expect it before they are 21. They don't fear it because their buddies are there waiting for them and when they get out it gives them street creds.

If prison isn't a deterrent or rehabilitation facility, then it's only doing a small part of what it should. Since "hard labor" went out with sword fighting and knickers, the only bad thing about prison, for these hoods, is the boredom. For kids waiting all day on the street corner, or basketball court, for something interesting to happen, that's not much of a deterrent.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:25 PM   #51
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
Ummmmmm read my second part of the my post, I don't agree any less with you that they are monsters.
I didn't question the second part of your post, I just said the first part is a moot point.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #52
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Godzilla is a fictional character.

These kids are real.

It's shocking and disgusting what they've done.

They should pay for their crime.

If they're sent to adult prison, they'll definitely get a piece of what they gave.

Any chance of rehabilitation for them?

I doubt it.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:51 PM   #53
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
You're right about prison not being a deterrent. The street punks aren't afraid of prison. They expect it before they are 21. They don't fear it because their buddies are there waiting for them and when they get out it gives them street creds.

If prison isn't a deterrent or rehabilitation facility, then it's only doing a small part of what it should. Since "hard labor" went out with sword fighting and knickers, the only bad thing about prison, for these hoods, is the boredom. For kids waiting all day on the street corner, or basketball court, for something interesting to happen, that's not much of a deterrent.
You also can't forget you have gauranteed shelter and food, sometimes entertainment.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:25 PM   #54
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

True, some people live much more comfortably in prison than on the street. Sure as hell wouldn't be my choice, though.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:52 AM   #55
rkzenrage

Not by a long-shot. I've been on the street and, well not prison but jail.
I would still choose the street ANY DAY of the week.
& I was one of the guys who got his way... I can't imagine what it was like for the pretty boys, ugh!
Old 07-15-2007, 01:17 AM   #56
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Pretty or not, if you have a clique of your hoodies, gang members and relatives waiting for you on the inside, it's not a problem. It's only a problem for guys like us that are on our own.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:35 AM   #57
rkzenrage

Most people on the street are not alone either. Everyone I knew had a peer group.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:08 PM   #58
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sure, but on the street, you don't get the;
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH45
You also can't forget you have gauranteed shelter and food, sometimes entertainment.
That was the case for being more comfortable in prison than on the street.

You brought up the dangers;
Quote:
I can't imagine what it was like for the pretty boys, ugh!
And I pointed out that isn't a problem for these scumbags;
Quote:
Pretty or not, if you have a clique of your hoodies, gang members and relatives waiting for you on the inside, it's not a problem. It's only a problem for guys like us that are on our own.
Now I'd definitely rather be on the street, but it's not a deterrent for these scumbags that commit these atrocities.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:00 PM   #59
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Character disorder = personality disorder.

This is NOT equivalent to someone who has a diagnosable major mental illness (Depression, Schizophrenia, Bipolar, etc.), although I'll betcha dollars to doughnuts that each of these perpetrators carries one or more of these diagnoses, even if they don't actually exhibit the full symptom spectrum. Why? Insurance companies don't pay for personality disorders.

These bastards just need to die.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 03:06 PM   #60
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

[Threadjack] Wolf, I caught some guy on TV last night claiming a huge percentage of the people taking up space in the state and county jails should really be in your care. It was just a clip and I didn't get the details.[/threadjack]