The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 06-27-2012, 01:19 AM   #901
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

moisturizing scorched grooves is *always* a good idea. Slapplication method to be negotiated between the groove owner and the moisturizerer.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #902
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Wow Jim. What a thing to go through. Sorry for your loss, I hope your family finds peace soon.

(I know this is late, but I just saw your post)

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #903
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

So sorry to hear of your loss. You were there for him, did everything you could ... a last gift. Thank you for sharing something so important.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #904
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Shoot, Jim, only just read that.
Since Grandad died I have wished I could read more accounts of people present when relatives stopped living.

I'm so glad I was there when Grandad died.
Because he would have died anyway and I just feel better that I was at his side.
In fact I told him to "Go home" because of his strong Catholic faith, and Mum and my sister (also Catholic) found this really comforting. He died about 15 minutes after that. I doubt he'd really heard any of us for at least 12 hours, but if it helped Mum & Law...

It helps me to process my own ambivilant feelings when I read about other people present at death when it was both expected and yet the loss was felt. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #905
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Damn, I'd intended to post about this when I was back at my comp (I was reading on iphone) then totally forgot.

Jim, honey, what a thing to go through. I really appreciate you sharing your experience.

I've been present at one death, my Dad, but it was entirely expected, with us around his bed, expected right then and there. I've also seen a colleague have a massive heart attack and fall down to the floor, never to regain consciousness, and died in the ambulance. He was midway through speaking to me at the moment his expression changed. Looking right at me.

Neither of those experiences are entirely like yours, but I feel like I can make the mental leap to what that might have been like because of them.

*hugs*

We don't talk enough about dying in western culture. I mean, we talk about fear of dying, we talk about rates of death and we talk about disease trajectories, but we don't as a culture talk about death and dying very much at all until something hits us between the eyes.

I think it's a good thing that these experiences are shared.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #906
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

My groove is scorched by Rush Limbaugh, Mitt Romney, et all.

Listening to the lies fall from their lips makes me sick and angry. I'm all for free speech, yup, even lying. But I believe it's wrong to try to persuade by being so... enthusiastically and hyperbolically misleading. From Rush today: "... the biggest tax increase in the history of the world! .... (moments later) .... and the tax will be paid to insurance companies!" It's not a tax increase. And if it is a tax increase, taxes are not paid to private companies. I have heard a couple hours of this kind of fearmongering and lying. The maddening part is that lots of people are moved by this shit. A couple more examples:

"The Supreme Court has affirmed the limitless power of the federal government today."

"Obamacare is not about improving heathcare, it's about the limitless expansion of the federal government and the behavioral control of the American people."

"The American people know they're not going to be able to keep their doctor. It won't be long until the only place you can go for health care is the government."

"The court has now said it is constitutional for a tax on more than one child."

"Many more than 20 million people will lose their healthcare."

I can't stand this shit.

Mitt Romney's no better. I listened to his response to he made regarding the decision from the Supreme Court. In this case I have the transcript and I take issue with many of the things he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitt Romney
“As you might imagine I disagree with the Supreme Court’s decision, and I agree with the dissent, what the court did not do on its last day in session, I will do on my first day if elected President of t he United States, and that is I will act to repel Obama Care. Lets be clear about what the court did and did not do. The court said that Obama care does not violate the Constitution. What they did not do was say Obama-care was a good law or its good policy, Obama care is bad policy yesterday, its bad policy today.

Obama care was bad law yesterday, it’s bad law today. Let me tell why I said that, Obama care raises taxes on the American people by approximately 500 billion dollars, Obamacare cuts medicare, cuts medicare by approximately 500 billion dollars and even with those cuts and tax increases, Obama care raises billions to our national debt and pushes obligation the oncoming generations. Obamacare also means for up to 20 million Americans they will lose the insurance they currently have, the insurance that they like and want to keep.

Obamacare is a job killer, businesses across the country have been asked what they think of Obama care, 3 quarters of those survived [surveyed, -- bigv] by the chamber of commerce said Obamacare makes it less likely for them to hire people. And perhaps most troubling of all, Obamacare puts you between the Federal government and your doctor. For all those reasons its important for us to repeal and replace Obamacare. What are some of the things we will keep in place? And must be in place for a reform, a real reform of the healthcare system. One we have to make sure people who want to keep their current insurance will be able to do so. Having 20 million people, up to that number of people, lose the insurance they want is simply unacceptable.

Number two, we’ve got to make sure that those people who have preexisting conditions know that they will be able to be insured. And they will not lose their insurance. We also have to assure that we do our very best to help each state in their efforts to assure that every American has access to affordable health care. And something that Obamacare does not do that must be done in real reform is helping lower the cost of health care and health insurance. It’s becoming prohibitively expensive.

And so this is now a time for the American people to make a choice. You can choose whether you want to have a larger and larger government more and more intrusive in your life. Separating you and your doctor. Whether you’re comfortable with more deficits. Higher debt that will be passed onto the coming generations. Whether you’re willing to have the government put in place a plan that potentially causes you to lose the insurance that you like.

Or whether instead you want to return to a time when the American people will have their own choice in health care. Where consumers will be able to make their choices as to what kind of health insurance they want. This is a time of choice for the American people. Our mission is clear. If we want to get rid of Obamacare, we’re going to have to replace President Obama.

My mission is to make sure that we do exactly that. That we return to the American people the privilege they’ve always had that lived their lives that they feel most appropriate. Where we don’t pass onto coming generations massive deficits and debt. Where we don’t have a setting where jobs are lost.

If we want good jobs and bright economic future for ourselves and for our kids, we must replace Obamacare. That is my mission. That is our work. And I’m asking the people of America to join me. If you don’t want the course that President Obama has put us on, if you want instead a course that the founders envisioned, then join me in this effort. Help us. Help us defeat Obamacare. Help us defeat the liberal agenda that makes government too big, too intrusive and is killing jobs across this country. Thank you very much.”
I'd like someone to please explain the grain of truth at the center of these Faux pearls of wisdom, please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romney
Obamacare also means for up to 20 million Americans they will lose the insurance they currently have, the insurance that they like and want to keep.
Quote:
most troubling of all, Obamacare puts you between the Federal government and your doctor.
Howso?

Quote:
Number two, we’ve got to make sure that those people who have preexisting conditions know that they will be able to be insured. And they will not lose their insurance. We also have to assure that we do our very best to help each state in their efforts to assure that every American has access to affordable health care.
um... what? what was number one again? And why did you switch scripts to the one that supports the law "those with preexisting conditions should be able to get insurance"? "Assure every american has access to health insurance" ??

Romney makes a standard pitch "you have a choice, this or that. Him or me". I have two problems with this kind of appeal. One, misrepresenting the position of one's opponent is an almost inescapable peril. Second, I can't remember any of these hypothetical propositions that was truly this OR that, exclusively. It produces the opposite of the desired effect in me, it makes this kind of appeal sound like a lie.

Romney does it here like this:

Quote:
...the American people to make a choice. You can choose

a larger and larger government
more and more intrusive in your life.
Separation of you and your doctor.
more deficits.
Higher debt
a plan that potentially causes you to lose the insurance that you like.

Or

the American people will have their own choice in health care.
consumers able to make choices re health insurance
Come on. Even Romney can't believe this shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romney
If you don’t want the course that President Obama has put us on, if you want instead a course that the founders envisioned
... seriously? The founders wanted to repeal Obamacare?

It makes me ILL.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #907
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Fucking stoopid fucking Wimbledon fucking tennis.

There were only two programmes I wanted to watch tonight: the final part of a 3 part docu series (The Men Who Made Us Fat) and regular panel show, Mock the Week. Both on BBC2.

Turned tv on for TMWMUF and the tennis still playing. Checked the radiotimes website and the listing is there, checked my tv's menu listings and suddenly my docu has vanished, and it's wimbers til 10.

Just tried again for Mock the Week and it's still bastard tennis. And MTW has now vanished from the tv menu and its wimbers til 10:30, just in time for 'Coast' a show about the British coastline I don't watch. If indeed that goes out at all.

Fucking hate Wimbledon. Bad enough it takes over BBC 2 for most of it, but the overruns and ever-lasting matches mean even the stuff that's still scheduled ends up being pulled.

Dont even like tennis. Bleh.

Given they're turning off the analogue signal in most areas, and everyone's moving over to freeview digital I really hope next year if the match is overrunning they can shunt the coverage over to one of the dormant bbc channels and leave the scheduled telly alone.

Last edited by DanaC; 06-28-2012 at 04:14 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #908
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
My groove is scorched by Rush Limbaugh, Mitt Romney, et all.
<snip>
Come on. Even Romney can't believe this shit.

It makes me ILL.
V, here's a little balm for your groove today.

The Daily Caller
06/28/2012

Romney website: ‘Mitt will nominate judges in the mold of Chief Justice Roberts’
Quote:
Conservatives around the country may be regretting Chief Justice John Roberts’ appointment
to the Supreme Court after Thursday’s ruling upholding President Barack Obama’s health care law,
but Mitt Romney‘s campaign website still holds him up as the paradigm of a Supreme Court justice.

“As president, Mitt will nominate judges in the mold of
Chief Justice Roberts and Justices Scalia, Thomas, and Alito,”

the “Courts & Constitution” section of Romney’s website
continues to read hours after the decision was handed down.
<snip>
The judges that Mitt nominates will exhibit a genuine appreciation for the text, structure,
and history of our Constitution and interpret the Constitution and the laws as they are written.
And his nominees will possess a demonstrated record of adherence to these core principles.”
<snip>

Some conservatives have ripped Roberts for his vote.
Conservative leader Brent Bozell, for instance,
went as far as to call Roberts “a traitor to his philosophy.”
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #909
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

One of the big lessons we have to drill into Minifob right now is that sometimes other people are wrong, and that's okay. You just have to let them be wrong. I probably say this to him at least 2-3 times a week.

Why can I not practice what I preach?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:39 AM   #910
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Ahh, the false belief thing. Has Minfob told any lies yet?
Old 07-01-2012, 07:07 AM   #911
Clodfobble

Oh yeah, all the fucking time. He has major problems with losing. Typical of his age, but he will claim in front of 15 witnesses that the ball which hit him square in the chest simply did not do so.

But those pass quickly, he does know in his heart that he's wrong, he's just covering embarrassment. It's the times when he is right that cause the most problems. He gets really irritated if someone is doing or saying something incorrectly and they won't listen to him tell them why they're wrong.

I do know exactly where he gets it.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #912
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Sort of like your dad telling you your eyes aren't green?
Old 07-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #913
Clodfobble

Hey, there you go! It's my dad's fault.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #914
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

THIS is really scorching my groove today. yesterday too. i was going to go watch lurker and sometimes poster dr. froth play in his band. if i'd of gone? i'd of gone to jail. cops + me = jail. read it. the way that the fucking cops are these days...they suck. (sarge excluded of course.)
Old 07-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #915
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

The ONLY thing to do when police ask you to remain/detain is to say: a) Am I free to leave? (If so, leave at once.) b) Am I under arrest? On what charges? c) I am exercising my right to remain silent pending legal counsel. (It sounds ridiculous to SAY "I am exercising my right to remain silent", but apparently you have to explicitly say that, as otherwise a judge may decide you didn't exercise this right and were just obstructive.)

Unfortunate second-hand experience.

Not trying to trump anyone with first-hand experience. But after reading the linked article I wonder what would've happened if every patron in the bar had refused to give up their ID and wait for it to be returned? Because this was definitely a breach of the 4th amendment. That said, I know the 4th amendment means squat in a given bar, on a given night.