The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 08-08-2012, 01:20 AM   #91
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Good job bb. You should give yourself one day a week to be a little bad.

•spoken in to my phone
Old 08-08-2012, 05:51 AM   #92
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Be a little bad in what way? I already have 2 days off from the gym. I eat things like burgers and pasta and oven-fried chicken - just portion controlled
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #93
bbro

Ugh - almost didn't make it to the gym today. I was so tired this morning. I still drug myself up and out. I am now dealing with a tired headache. Doesn't help that I keep forgetting to put on my computer glasses. I am excited to sleep in tomorrow, though. Well, as much as my body will now let me. Apparently 8am is now sleeping in :/ At least it will give me time to make a pizza for lunch
Old 08-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #94
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I'm in the market for a heart rate monitor. I have been looking at the Polar unit, model RS300X G1.

Any thoughts? My primary goal is to have a device that monitors my heart rate and can alert me when I exceed the limits of a certain range, too high or too low.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:57 AM   #95
bbro

I have a polar F6 and it has that capability. I don't really use that functionality too much. I keep an eye to make sure I am at least in the range. If I am using the arc trainer, I use it to make sure my heart won't explode. It also has other settings for the heart rate, but I don't really know what they do. You can get the booklets online, I think, to see if it has what you need. One thing is that it is advertised that the Polar F6 has a stopwatch, but it doesn't really. It only has one that is integrated to the exercise/calorie burn functionality. It also has personalized settings. You put in your weight, age, height, sex, etc.

I like it, it's a little bulky for me, so I only wear it at the gym. The chest strap can be a bit picky about picking up your heartbeat, but that's easily solved by getting it wet. I think some people worry about cross-transmission with the machines at the gym. I never had an issue with it as far as I could tell. I mostly use it to track the calories I am burning for cardio only. According to what people have told me, heart rate monitors cannot be used for tracking calories burned from strength training.

What ever you do get, I have read that the ones with the chest strap are the most accurate. If you get a Polar, I think they all have chest straps.

Hope that helps a little.

Last edited by bbro; 08-11-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #96
bbro

I had trouble getting and staying asleep last night, but still made it to the gym. I was so annoyed though. I couldn't finish my cardio because some stupid woman got on the treadmill right next to me and had on this hideous perfume. First -really? right next to me? there are a dozen other machines where you wouldn't be next to anyone. They should have rules like the bathroom. Never take the stall next to someone unless you absolutely have to. Second - Perfume? My god, you are at the GYM! The only thing you should be worried about is not radiating BO.

I swear, I couldn't breathe! Even if I didn't have asthma and allergies, the smell was noxious. It wasn't your typical old lady flowery perfume. It was more like a cheap ass version of good perfume. Regardless, it shouldn't be worn AT THE GYM! If I had been at the beginning of my cardio, I would have moved. I've done that before to a lady who smells like she jumped in baby powder. But I was already running late and it would take too much time at that point to move.

Luckily, it was only about 20 calories burned below my goal, but still.

Ok. Rant over. Gym is done for the day. Now to get to work.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #97
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

bbro!! run away run away!!

I purchased the Polar FT4 model. I don't like it, I intend to return it. I got it because I (thought I) was getting several things accomplished that I find important. I was told it had an alarm that beeps when my heart rate is outside of a given range. I got to shop locally, at a non-chain store. I got it right away and used it right away. The other features of the device were nice, but not very important in my buying decision.

I'm returning it for a few reasons. Primarily, the alarm is inaudible. It *says* it's "on" but I can't hear it even sitting in the house, never mind when I'm huffing and puffing or when I have a headwind on my bicycle. Total fail in this regard. Next reason, the display is quite small, the size of a postage stamp and the contrast is average. The result is that it is difficult to read, another kiss of death.

There are some aspects of the device that are adequate but would really improve my experience with it, were they different. The buttons are small and stiff. I have big hands, big fingers. Pressing the buttons requires a very definite and precise effort. It's not particularly easy. Bigger buttons would make using this device easier and nicer to work with. I mentioned the display earlier. Having a bigger display would be nice too, and one with a more powerful backlight. Timex has a feature called Indiglo, you may have seen the Tron-like blue glow of these watches. Very bright, lots of contrast. That level of night time readability would be nice. From a purely cosmetic standpoint, the one I got was the last one in this model--it's bright orange. It looks like Denver Broncos swag. It's... O. K. but I would prefer a black watch, or some other less conspicuous color combination.

For other features I've read about that this rig doesn't have at all that I now think I'd like to consider, presuming the price was right, there are a few. Notably, a gps would be cool in order to collect data on distance traveled. If you have this, then you can get some other interesting facts, like speed, pace, even route. This sounds cool. The other more expensive model I researched included a little bug that clips to your shoelaces that gets calibrated to your specific stride length. This gives the same data as a gps, speed, distance, pace, etc (not route, obviously). One advantage this shoe sensor has is that it reports and computes its information very quickly, unlike the gps which needs a lot of communication over a very long distace (wrist to satellite, come in satellite). This means changes to pace don't have the lag that gps based calculations do. Another interesting feature would be to be able to upload the data from the device to the computer to track my progress over time. The data's saved in the device, the trick is how to get it into the computer, preferably not by manually keying the data in.

There are features included that work as advertised: instantaneous heart rate, calories burned, elapsed time, time in training zone, these are all desirable features and did work well. I would want these features in any device I settle on.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #98
bbro

I like it. The only things I want it for, are the ones that you listed work well. I am pretty low key with the workouts. As long as I can get my calories burned, I am good.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #99
bbro

Oh - and another update. I am down a total of 6.4 pounds now.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #100
bbro

Today was a struggle getting out of bed, but I finally did. Of course, this meant I was late to the gym. I almost skipped the cardio portion of my workout. I figured 10 minutes on the arc trainer would be good and then just make up any more calories I need to burn on Saturday. Usually 10 mins wipes me out and my heart rate is close to 200 I got a suggestion on my traking website to up the resistance. Doing this, I was able to regulate the speed and heart rate more but still get a good workout.

I was even able to finish TWENTY minutes I think I burned most of my calories on there in that short time. I am still short for the week because of Monday and the stupid woman that wore perfume. I am going to try and get up earlier tomorrow to extend the cardio time. If not, I can go on Saturday, no big deal.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #101
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

I recently bought the FitBit Aria scale. I love it. It tracks weight and body composition (though I'm skeptical of the accuracy of that function) in a web app.

My wife ordered us each a FitBit tracker last night ( http://www.fitbit.com/product/features ). I know several people who have, and love, them. They include a heart rate monitoring function, though I don't believe it will give real-time alerts.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #102
monster
I hear them call the tide

So I lost 15 pounds. I lost 5 right away, thenit plateaued again, but I kept going and kept working out and then over the summer another 10 seems to have disappeared...... my face looks skinnier and I had to buy smaller shorts. My didgy scale that's supposed to do body fat % anaylis etc (but I'm suspicius because it thinks I only have 6% bones) says my fat % has reduced. My ab and core strength have definitely improved and my limbs look ripped. But the belly is still there....... been three times this week and swam over half a mile on the day i didn't go. plus I did 5 hours gardening.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:24 AM   #103
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

I fell off the wagon about a month ago as the local pool(s) were infested with holidaymakers and their children in all the wet weather we've been having, then we went on holiday, then we had visitors when we came back. I put on weight (6lb! ). Work needs to be done. Back to the pool this afternoon, and to hell with the holidaymakers' children!
Old 08-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #104
bbro

I've heard of them Perry, but I always thought they were the big clunky things they wore on biggest loser. I am most intrigued by the sleep tracking. I would buy something just for that - I don't have the best sleep patterns and I am always tired

Congrats on the loss, monster! I have a feeling I am going to have some trouble with my belly, too. Everyone seems to that I read about.

Good attitude limey. Can you believe I actually didn't want to go to the gym at first because I didn't want people to see me sweat or struggle? I finally said Fuck it - lol

I got up to 30 minutes on the arc trainer. I think I am going to stick with this as my main cardio and just do 5 minutes on the treadmill to cool down. I feel like it is such a huge accomplishment to get that long on it.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #105
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Swam 1 km (50 x 20m lengths, or about half a mile), and every tenth length was legs only. Back on Sunday!

Sent by thought transference