The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:59 PM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Anyone who would listen doesn't deserve to hold office.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:01 AM   #17
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Which is why Sarah Sanders said she routinely ignores you. Even she knows automatic creates jobs.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:53 AM   #18
Griff
still says videotape

https://gizmodo.com/how-automation-t...ers-1833623722

How Automation Turns Us Into Trump Voters

Okay, that’s a bit of an oversimplification, but new research adds to a growing body of work that suggests there’s a distinct link between regions hit by automation and voting Republican, and voting Trump especially. In 2016, areas where industrial robots have eliminated jobs—mostly in the Rust Belt and the South—saw a sizable upswing in voters turning to Trump. (Remember, automation likely played a much larger role in accelerating job loss over the last decades than did other factors like offshoring.)

The "experts" are split on this question. We don't actually know whether AI displaced jobs will be replaced by jobs humans can do better than automation. We know that trucking, retail, call centers, etc...are all within reach of automation. As I look at the Democratic field, I see Biden apparently in the tw camp ignoring the 4 million manufacturing jobs in Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Missouri, and Iowa lost to automation. I see Bernie's well-intentioned but misguided ideas about making labor more expensive in this environment. I'd like tw to consider that the Paul Krugmans of the world were completely wrong about workers perception of the economy in 2016 and likely again are missing the story from their silos. The Trump signs are still up and even if he loses that discontent will still be there.

We know that automation will make creating easier. People with access to these tools will be able to progress from idea to shipped product simply and easily. The question is, is our economy organized for a successful transition? Will a retail worker in her 50s be able to work through retirement? Will that worker have the income to be a consumer? What happens if we raise the age for Social Security in this environment?

Let's remember that STEM jobs are a tiny proportion of the workforce.
https://www.bls.gov/spotlight/2017/s...and-future.pdf
Nearly 8.6 million STEM jobs in 2015

There were nearly 8.6 million STEM jobs in May 2015, representing 6.2 percent of U.S. employment. Computeroccupations made up nearly 45 percent of STEM employment, and engineers made up an additional 19 percent.Mathematical science occupations and architects, surveyors, and cartographers combined made up less than 4 percentof STEM employment.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:41 AM   #19
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Let's remember that STEM jobs are a tiny proportion of the workforce.
STEM jobs create most all new jobs by creating new markets, new products, more productivity, resulting in increased standards of living, increased health, a more resilient economy, and harm to poverty.

An economy only prospers where innovation and automation replaces workers; make people more productive.

Those silly Trump / Biden examples are only from emotionally inspired personal biases. Says nothing logically or economically useful. Moderates don't exist in camps. Extremists need that rhetoric to promote a 'them verses us' mentality.

We know in a productive economy, no worker must be doing the same work decades earlier. That applies to everyone from high tech to retail. Economies that do not constantly change / innovate / increase productivity go into recession / depression.

Replacing humans with box making machines - a perfect example of how the economy prospers and how more jobs (not less) are created.

BTW seven out of ten jobs are not computer related. They are transistor related. All that directly traceable to what STEM created in 1948.

What is expected in the next 100 years? Quantum physics is expected to become the next driver of most new jobs. But again, what creates most all jobs? STEM. (Don't tell religious suicide bombers. They will only get emotional. The emotional only destroy jobs.)

Last edited by tw; 06-17-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:53 AM   #20
Griff
still says videotape

Deleted due to changes in tw’s response
Old 06-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #21
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Deleted due to changes in tw’s response
Finished editing.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:41 PM   #22
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

John Varley's Steel Beach had an amusing short scene depicting the end result of automation; the setting is a post-scarcity society, where everything is automated. It is determined that even though nobody needs to work to get money, many people do need to work for psychological reasons, and not everyone can do media, art, IT, or science jobs. So (for example) there are construction workers whose job is to watch the robots do construction.

They have upside-down pockets on their overalls, to assist in leaning on their shovels.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:28 AM   #23
Griff
still says videotape

I somehow never read that.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:34 PM   #24
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

It is one of my favorites, and has an exceptionally memorable opening line.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:07 AM   #25
Griff
still says videotape

Will check out. thanks for the recomendo
Old 06-30-2019, 05:09 PM   #26
tw

We know from economic indicators that the economy had started in a recession a few years ago. Which means lagging indicators (ie employment) should start indicating the downturn. Today, another indicator of the recession has appeared - the inverted yield curve.

We know this was happening. Even the Fed (who historically is slow to recognize these symptoms) finally admitted it. Many industries that do innovate (ie steel reprocessors) have already cut back. Consumers, who protect themselves, are planning today for a recession that has started (ie due to mismanagement such as tax cuts). One question remains: how serious will it be?
Old 07-03-2019, 10:32 AM   #27
tw

Another indication of the Trump recession was released today. America's trade imbalance for this month has hit a new record high. What was one of the major factors that created the Great Depression? Tariffs were imposed. Only people trained in business schools would not understand that obvious fact repeatedly demonstrated in history.

And these include the naive Brits who now want Boris Johnson - and more tariffs.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:41 AM   #28
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No problem, we will cure this recession the some way we cured the Great Depression... War.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:01 AM   #29
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
No problem, we will cure this recession the some way we cured the Great Depression... War.
Count on Trump to Make American Wars Again (MAWA). We could not ask for a better extremist. And then he will also send three 747s full of palettes of $100 bills to Iran to restore their economy. Oh. Wait. He did not say deficits do not matter. Cheney did - to create that recession. How will The Don top that?
Old 07-04-2019, 10:17 AM   #30
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

I hope this time they record the serial numbers.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote