The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-11-2002, 08:47 AM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

Marking this Day

I started today with a prayer for the victims of 9/11 and then a prayer for my nation. How did you mark this terrible day?
Old 09-11-2002, 09:17 AM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Thus far, I did moments of silence at 8:46 and 9:03, then went outside for Philadelphia's moment of silence at 10, and asked God to bless all the victims...and the terrorists too. (Because as I personally see it, those type of folk need all the divine intervention they can get.)

More in a thread later this evening in the Manifestos.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 09:37 AM   #3
perth
Strong Silent Type

the first thing i did was wake my son up and wish him a happy 1st birthday. i listened to some of the memorial service on npr on my way to work (the choir singing at dawn). at 9:00 this morning we will be observing a companywide moment of silence, which i will participate in. other than that, i plan on taking my wife and son out for dinner tonight, teach him how to open presents and celebrate the gift that was given to me on this fateful and terrible day.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 09:50 AM   #4
dave

Tell Perth Jr. to register a Cellar account. I bet he's got something to say.

Happy Birthday to him, and I hope you guys have a fine day.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:13 AM   #5
perth
Strong Silent Type

yeah, he says hello. over and over again. its cute because he emotes it really well, raising his pitch at the o at the end. thank you for the birthday wishes. its a sort of somber celebration, because mom and dad are finally allowing what happened to sink in, but its a celebration nonetheless.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 10:29 AM   #6
andcal
Writer of Writings

I mark this day by reminding myself, and trying to educate others that freedom and democracy is a universal good, and is the reason that we live in the best country in the world. Freedom, Democracy, and, yes, even capitalism are not just something that America coincidentally happens to have, they are the REASON that America is the best country in the world.
I find it necessary to remind myself of this these days, because so many people, even in America seem to have adopted certain otherwise good causes (such as multiculturalism or pacifism, but the list grows long) as their personal religion, making universal freedom take a back seat, and in the process, destroying the already-existing freedoms of other people.
On the other hand, there are others who moan and complain that their personal rights and freedoms are being destroyed in the name of security. Our government is, even if you don't believe it, by the people and for the people, and if you have better ideas than what the current leaders have as to how to make our lives secure enough to enjoy our liberties, then don't just complain; go try to make a difference in a POSITIVE way. Too many people don't give a second thought to their community until they have a complaint, and when they can't find the remote control which changes what they don't like, they complain & whine. Making a difference is not instant, it takes time & effort. Otherwise, we would have 365 "kings for a day", and no stability or security.
Our contry is not perfect, but show me one better.
andcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 10:47 AM   #7
Nic Name
retired

Quote:
Freedom, Democracy, and, yes, even capitalism are not just something that America coincidentally happens to have, they are the REASON that America is the best country in the world.
So, are we marking this day with jingoism?

Of all the free democratic countries in the world, is the United States more free or more democratic? Freedom and democracy weren't invented in America, by the way.

If the United States of America is the best country in the world, and there are many who sincerely believe it is, there must be something else that distinguishes it from other free democracies in the world than freedom, democracy and, yes, even capitalism.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 11:01 AM   #8
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by Nic Name
If the United States of America is the best country in the world, and there are many who sincerely believe it is, there must be something else that distinguishes it from other free democracies in the world than freedom, democracy and, yes, even capitalism.
Nic, if it makes you feel any better, Canada would have taken 1st place, if not for the fact that your official head of state is a monarch.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 01:56 PM   #9
Kutz
Killer of Wabbits

In my school district, we remembered the victims by having sixty minute of silence.

Then we listened to the National Anthem and pledged to the flag.

My utter condolences, sypmathies, etc. are extended to the victims of September 11th and their families.

But it's just plain disgraceful to remember those victims by the country in which they lived. Patriot day? Most people I knew wore red, white and blue. If I were remembered on the anniversary of my death by a slew of patriotic sentiments, I would roll over in my grave. It's insulting.

I don't mean to degrade the sanctity of the day. But I can't accept a salute to the flag as an excuse for a real memorial service.

If you wish to remember only those who were lost, go ahead. If you want to also express your patriotism, go ahead. If you want to do neither, go ahead. But hearing my school district describe a patriotic salute session as a 'memorial service' was disgraceful.
Old 09-11-2002, 03:18 PM   #10
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

I got up, went to work, and have worked like any other day. I plan to go home, shop at the local Acme, make some meatloaf for dinner, play Freedom Force on my PC until my wife comes home and go to sleep.

Note that there is no television or radio included in this set of activities. The closest I came to patriotic fervor today was playing James Brown's "Live at the Apollo '95" on my car's tape deck, which happens to include "Living in America." I _know_ what happened last year; I don't need it recapped in moment-by-moment detail on forty-seven stations.

Nationalism and patriotism are great things... every two years or so, when they help us set up teams and rooting interests for the Olympic Games. That's about how much use I have for the concepts.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 03:32 PM   #11
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
Originally posted by Kutz
If you wish to remember only those who were lost, go ahead. If you want to also express your patriotism, go ahead. If you want to do neither, go ahead. But hearing my school district describe a patriotic salute session as a 'memorial service' was disgraceful.
Precisely.

Think of it this way: imagine that the 9/11 planes hadn't been hijacked, but were instead guided by some massive computer glitch into the buildings that they hit.

The people who worked in all three buildings, and who flew in all four planes would be just as dead. The firefighters and cops (who weren't random bystanders perfoming heroic deeds, but trained professionals doing what they were paid to do; the risk comes with the uniform) caught in the collapse would be just as dead.

It would be viewed as a horrendous and tragic accident, obviously. But would the poor bastards in the WTC and Pentagon be "patriots" for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, or simply be victims of an event over which they had no foreknowledge or control? These weren't valiant soldiers defending the WTC from evil aggressors; these were accountants and data entry clerks and marketing executives and janitors who hit the Unlucky Lottery in a big way. The fact that the plane crashes were intentional didn't make the victims act any differently, or make them more or less patriotic than they were the day before.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 04:51 PM   #12
jaguar
whig

By avoiding the worlds largest media hype.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:15 PM   #13
Griff
still says videotape

Perth, I got a call a couple hours ago. The wife of one of my old college roomies just gave birth to twin girls. Its a circular world. Anyway, I'm glad you mentioned lil' Perth. This world is for the living after all.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:16 PM   #14
warch
lurkin old school

No newspaper, no TV, no radio- too sickeningly commercial. At noon, a student played the piano in our building's lobby for anyone who wanted to listen. That was a nice unprogramed, unpackaged thing. I talked about 9/11 briefly with a coworker who had been in Chile on a student exchange a year ago. We swapped where were you stories. Then I took my husband to the airport,as he was leaving on a business trip, business as usual, and gave him the dont-take-it-for-granted-everyday-I-love-you hug.

Last edited by warch; 09-11-2002 at 09:01 PM.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 07:32 PM   #15
hermit22
sleep.

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
By avoiding the worlds largest media hype.
I thought that was Episode I? Can it be that this has surpassed that?