The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 02-09-2011, 06:28 AM   #1
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

Feb 9, 2011: Road safety illusion

An an attempt to raise awareness of road safety. These drawing can be found on the streets of Canada.

http://www.moillusions.com/2010/09/u...-illusion.html
Attached Images

It is the ignorance of ignorance that lead to the death of knowledge

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:13 AM   #2
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

That seems like a bad idea. Its too realistic. If I saw that it would cause me to freak, even if I was a ways away. Then if I drove by that sorta thing on a regular basis, I'd get used to it and when I saw a real thing is the road, I might think its just a realistic picture and ignore it....
Nope, bad idea.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
GunMaster357
Professor

Impressive for sure. But I am not sure it won't cause problems.

If I ever came across something like that at night with no other lighting than my car's headlights, I'll probably brake like mad and try to avoid it. Yes, strictly speaking, it's not there, yet I suppose I won't have the time to think it through.

At best, a nice recipe to go plowing into a field. At worst, a few less pedestrians walking on the curb... (or is it "kerb"? I've seen both)
Old 02-09-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Looks more like training on how TO run over a child.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
Looks more like training on how TO run over a child.
"Here, hold my beer and watch this!"

Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
ToastyOhs
Discontinued Breakfast Food

Some more photos here:

http://www.toxel.com/inspiration/201...-down-traffic/

I have always spelled it curb, here in the USA, kerb sounds a bit Engrish to me.
ToastyOhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:35 AM   #7
Shawnee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastyOhs View Post
Some more photos here:

http://www.toxel.com/inspiration/201...-down-traffic/

I have always spelled it curb, here in the USA, kerb sounds a bit Engrish to me.
You're thinking of Miss Muffet: kerbs and whey.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

I'm with MTP on this. Very bad idea. You are training people to ignore the visual cues that says there's something in your path.

Plus I see lots of rear-end collisions from people slamming on the brakes to avoid the fake kid.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #9
Coign
Wanted Driver

So I was also quickly under the belief that this would train drivers to run over little girls. Especially ones with stupid pink balls. I hate pink balls.

So I went to their website (preventable.ca) to see what they have to say in defense of themselves.

http://www.preventable.ca/2010/09/ou...tting-noticed/

Quote:
Because this project is the first of its kind in Canada (and possibly the world), there are a lot of questions as well as some misinformation being circulated surrounding it. So here are the facts to help clarify any misunderstandings:

* Preventable, BCAA Traffic Safety Foundation, and the District of West Vancouver launched this pilot project as a back to school initiative to raise awareness about more kids on the streets this fall and drivers’ awareness in school zones during the critically important first week of back to school. This project will exist for one week only to capture drivers’ and pedestrians’ attention.
* We started in April 2010 with careful consideration and planning that included discussions with the District of West Vancouver, parents, the school board, engineers, and police.
* The District of West Vancouver engineers have done a full risk assessment of this initiative and are supportive of the concept and its implementation. Their helpful and professional advice led to additional safety measures including additional static and dynamic signage in advance of the image and a police presence. On-site monitoring of motorist behaviour has since confirmed that there has been absolutely no evidence of abrupt stopping or swerving by motorists. The police, traffic engineers, parents, and Preventable have been monitoring, and will continue to monitor, traffic around this 3D illusion.
* The 2D decal gradually appears 3D to drivers approaching the image. A risk assessment of this project shows that drivers do not mistake this image for a real girl and can see the image 100 feet away. The image does not “jump-out” at drivers and there is no “startling effect”, the road conditions on 22nd Street are very good for this project, which is precisely why this location was selected. Sight lines are perfect northbound along the road and to the cross streets. Although the community continuously grapples with unsafe driving behaviours in this particular school zone, twenty-second (22nd) Street in West Vancouver has a very good vehicle crash record. The number of crashes since 1996 (the earliest year for which we have records) is insignificant. This is was also an important criteria in choosing the site as the best location for the project.
* Preceding the illusion are clearly marked school zones signs (30 KM maximum speed limit), a cross walk, traffic calming curb extensions in advance of the illusion, and a Preventable signs that read, “You’re probably not expecting kids to run out on the road.” There is also a STOP sign at the end of the block. All these factors mean that motorists are slowing in anticipation of stopping regardless of the 3D illusion.
* A public awareness program was started in advance of implementation of this project to inform drivers and the general public of the image.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #10
Shawnee123

Quote:
The 2D decal gradually appears 3D to drivers approaching the image. A risk assessment of this project shows that drivers do not mistake this image for a real girl and can see the image 100 feet away. The image does not “jump-out” at drivers and there is no “startling effect”, the road conditions on 22nd Street are very good for this project, which is precisely why this location was selected. Sight lines are perfect northbound along the road and to the cross streets. Although the community continuously grapples with unsafe driving behaviours in this particular school zone, twenty-second (22nd) Street in West Vancouver has a very good vehicle crash record. The number of crashes since 1996 (the earliest year for which we have records) is insignificant. This is was also an important criteria in choosing the site as the best location for the project.
Drivers do not mistake the 3D image for a real little girl and can see it from 100 feet away. Right, if they're paying attention, rather than reaching for a cell phone or daydreaming and suddenly seeing what appears to be a small child running into the road. This kind of stuff is what the campaign is trying to warn against, so traffic bozos won't be enlightened in any way.

Quote:
* Preceding the illusion are clearly marked school zones signs (30 KM maximum speed limit), a cross walk, traffic calming curb extensions in advance of the illusion, and a Preventable signs that read, “You’re probably not expecting kids to run out on the road.” There is also a STOP sign at the end of the block. All these factors mean that motorists are slowing in anticipation of stopping regardless of the 3D illusion.
* A public awareness program was started in advance of implementation of this project to inform drivers and the general public of the image.
Again, who are they targeting? People who are paying attention and going slow anyway.

I think they just think it's cute. I totally think it's BS that they think it will prevent anything. As others have said: more likely to cause a problem than to prevent one.

Like the old "put your headlights on so you stand out and you're a safer motorist." Until EVERYONE has their headlights on then you're immune to headlights because they become commonplace.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coign View Post
So I was also quickly under the belief that this would train drivers to run over little girls. Especially ones with stupid pink balls. I hate pink balls....
Especially GIRLS with pink balls.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #12
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Strikes me as a lawsuit waiting to happen.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #13
Wombat
(marsupial with backward-facing pouch)

A recipe for a head-on smash on the other side of the road: distracted driver notices little girl at wrong moment and swerves left to avoid her, hitting car coming the other way. It'll be interesting to find out who is deemed at fault.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:02 AM   #14
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Oh dear. Seems I am to be the sole voice in support of it.
It's not intended to shock and scare drivers, nor to get them to slam on their brakes.
It's a poignant reminder of why speed limits are imposed.

It's well advertised and promoted and in a single location, not popping up all over the place unannounced. It's like a billboard in effect, but on the road not by the side. A 2D image serves as an advertisment. It's the difference between driving past a poster of a scantily clad woman and just being aware of it, and actually seeing her beside the road with all her clothing falling off and her boobies about to become bare - not THAT might affect your driving.

I'm all for anything that encourages people to see the reality behind traffic laws and traffic calming measures. The amount of parents I see driving to school every day in a way which endangers other children - turning with no indicators, trying to beat the lights, pulling over in restricted areas, looking at/ talking on their mobile phones (even in high risk areas like right outside the school for FSM's sake!) Speed limits are not just pointless bureauocracy by The Man to curtail freedom. They save lives.

I'm not saying this decal is the perfect solution, but I am certainly more pro than against.
Anyone want to wager whether the dire prophecies of the Cellar will come true...? I'll put a fiver on it
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:03 AM   #15
GunMaster357
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Speed limits are not just pointless bureauocracy by The Man to curtail freedom. They save lives.
While I do agree with you on this, they're not the only factor. A bit of common sense would be good on the part of everybody (either drivers or pedestrians).

As a driver, my worst fear nearly became reality a few years ago. In France, inside a city, speed limit is 50 km/h or less in specific places. That day I came to a stop at a traffic light in Paris. Light becomes green, ok. I begin driving down the street, accelerating just enough to go maybe up to 40 km/h. I notice a young woman that climb down the curb between two parked cars to cross the street. She's NOT at a crosswalk. There is one at both ends of the street. In my mind, she's going to wait until it is possible to cross. Then I noticed that her arms are not in a normal position, they're extended in front of her.

That's a fucking stroller with a baby inside. Of course, I did slam the brakes. I stopped a mere inch from the toddler. Yet, I was the one to be labelled a killer.

In most people minds, you're the driver therefore you are the evil one.

Had I hurt that baby, I would probably have ended in prison. Yet, I wasn't the guilty one.