The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 11-09-2019, 09:49 AM   #6646
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's shocking to me that these companies (YouTube is Google, FFS) don't understand the Internet.

Once information is in one location, it is in all locations. That's the Internet.

Censoring legitimizes the information. We expect that the information is true and wildly important to know because the biggest sources reacted to it. It causes many people to instinctively consider that thing they don't know, and to pursue it. Streisand effect.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:50 AM   #6647
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Twitter is permitting it
Well sure, they've got Alexa on Twitter to protect them.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:47 PM   #6648
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
First amendment overrides.
Overrides what?
Old 11-09-2019, 12:54 PM   #6649
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The ability to prosecute somebody for printing news
Old 11-10-2019, 06:57 AM   #6650
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
I understand their instinct, but censorship doesn't work.
It kind of does, in that I knew for days that the name was "out" but hadn't actually seen it until you posted it here. On the one hand, I'm not someone out looking for the information so I can whack him--that person will find it the minute it's available. On the other, there's a certain percentage of lazy internet harassers who wouldn't necessarily go to the trouble of death threats, etc. unless the information is readily available to them.

His name was going to come out eventually. I just really, really hope the guy is deeply hidden with good security detail.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:29 AM   #6651
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

This does give people more ability to whack him.

But more importantly, it gives people a critical detail that will allow them to investigate and report parts of the story previously not available to the public.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:35 PM   #6652
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I would expect his employer to be able to protect him ~ as long as he represents their interests, that is ~
Old 11-10-2019, 04:22 PM   #6653
sexobon

Once the whistleblower is positively ID'd, the President can revoke their security clearance. Without a security clearance, the whistleblower will lose their job. Their former employer will no longer be responsible for providing protection. The whistleblower will be dependent on local law enforcement for protection like anyone else. After a whistleblower has served people's immediate interests, that's what they could be headed for.

The questions would then be whether or not anyone would ever trust a whistleblower enough to fight for their reinstatement under a subsequent Administration and would anyone, any longer, even care.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:51 PM   #6654
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Snitches oughta get stitches.

That's all I know about it.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:35 PM   #6655
sexobon

In federal service there's a concept called Redress of Wrongs. In the military, it's codified as Redress Of Wrongs by the Commander. One must essentially give their boss, who they think did something wrong, a chance to take remedial action before complaining to anyone else.

If the result of the redress is unsatisfactory, then it's understood that the complainant is free to take it to anyone and everyone else. Saving your job is not generally accepted as a reason to bypass a redress. Physical harm would be.

Many have confronted Trump and lost; or, quit their jobs without being physically harmed. If the whistleblower went to the IG without having informed Trump of perceived wrongdoing, the whistleblower might never be trusted in government service again. We'll never know if the whistleblowers redress would have convinced Trump to reverse course. It seems that Presidents have reversed course on bigger decisions.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:55 PM   #6656
glatt

Yeah, because Trump is know for following all the traditions in government.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:06 PM   #6657
sexobon

He hasn't whacked anyone (as far as we know).
Old 11-10-2019, 07:11 PM   #6658
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

orange man has been invoked: tw cometh (soon)...

Old 11-16-2019, 09:56 AM   #6659
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Back in the summer I made the mistake of ordering from the boingboing store 3 womens T-shirts for $9.54 each on sale with free shipping. They were being shipped from China and one arrived with paperwork saying $10. OK, for 46 cents no big deal but where are the other two shirts? Email to Luvyle and get unintelligible gobbledygook back but in a couple weeks the other two arrive along with this...

Name:  stockings.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  23.7 KB

I asked a couple women if they wanted them and the response was, "Stockings?" with shrieking laughter.

Two days ago I got an email saying order number xxxxxx, three shirts at $9.54 each has shipped but may take 20 days.
Emailed Lucyle saying I got these in September, I don't want any more.
Got back, have shipped have a nice day.
Emailed I won't pay for more shirts.
Got back, a transcription of the entire tracking record of the September shipment + have a nice day.
But it doesn't say they didn't ship them again.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:39 AM   #6660
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

We used to wear panty hose when hunting the early part of deer season. It works to keep the ticks off. No, really.

There was usually one of us that issued The Plea:

Quote:
If one of you bastards shoots me, peel these damn panty hose off me before you take me to the ER.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mild cheddar