The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 11-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

So i'm in a quandary.....

ok. you guys know how hard i've been trying to get back into engineering. it finally has happened. i got hired on with a firm near the job i have now getting a very nice salary, neighborhood of 75. here's the problem: my background. after i put in my two week notice at the panel shop my recruiter calls me and says that i need to come in for drug testing (no problem there) and.......background check. i'm considering something zippyt suggested last night during our extensive phone conversation. he suggested that i go by the firm and talk with my lead engineer and tell him my history. it's a private firm, not a corporation, so that's a plus. they like my attitude and appearance another plus. i can give them references to my current jobshop employer (i'm on contract at the panel shop) who i've known for 20 years and knows my background history as well as my work ethic and i can also give them the track as a reference. after all, i am a manager there and responsible for my crew, running the business and trusted with the monies. SO. do i go in and tell them or keep my mouth shut and hope the new job shop doesn't run my background?? i'm leaning towards going into the office and sitting down with Dan, the electrical engineer lead and having a chat with him.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

I'd trust Zippy's advice. But then again, I've never asked him for advice so I don't know if he gives good advice or not. No, seriously, I'd take his advice. With background check, they'll know everything.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I don't know, but I think the best bet would be to be honest, and going in there to tell them your history before they do a check is proactive and gives you the best chance.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Yup. It sounds like you have lots of positive referees to put forward and I think going in to speak to someone is a good approach. Be relaxed, try not to be anxious, give them the "I'm a good guy" vibe which I certainly get from all your posts here. Good luck.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

In my experience, everyone who says they're going to run a background check actually runs one. Go in and talk to him before he finds out another way.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

i am. but jeez. i'm so nervous and getting more anxious by the minute. go buy stock in charmine! i can't stay out of the restroom! (tmi i know but that's how nervous i am)
Old 11-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
limey

Oh phlthy! Just imagine that all teh Cellar gurrlz are giving you a back rub! That should relax you (though on seconds thoughts maybe not! Perhaps you don't want to take a stiffy into that meeting ).
Old 11-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Absolutely be the one to present the story.

It is vitally important for you to control the customer's experience. You need to create the story.

To make yourself less nervous think of it as an "elevator speech" a quick 30 second here's my story.

It's important that you don't sound bitter, blaming, or guilty. Just matter of fact, like a speeding ticket. Own it 100% You picked a shitty lawyer, you had (we all hope) shitty choice in women, you should have stayed in bed that day.
It's not like you have a long rap sheet and you keep failing the whiz quiz.

But practice your elevator speech and write it out and look it over for words that don't make it seem like you are ok with it.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #9
limey

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Absolutely be the one to present the story.

It is vitally important for you to control the customer's experience. You need to create the story.

To make yourself less nervous think of it as an "elevator speech" a quick 30 second here's my story.

It's important that you don't sound bitter, blaming, or guilty. Just matter of fact, like a speeding ticket. Own it 100% You picked a shitty lawyer, you had (we all hope) shitty choice in women, you should have stayed in bed that day.
It's not like you have a long rap sheet and you keep failing the whiz quiz.

But practice your elevator speech and write it out and look it over for words that don't make it seem like you are ok with it.
This. All of this.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #10
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

plthijinx, you problem right now is that you want this way too much. Treat it as a practice run. You do need to practice dealing with this type of situation, you know, in order for you to be at ease with it. I don't think this is the only job offer you are ever going to have.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #11
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Wow, Pico.
Different slant.
Not wrong, just came from outside my own realm of thought.

I say tell them.
But as Pico says, be calm (not clam as I originally typed)
Old 11-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
It's November, so clams are OK.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:17 PM   #13
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Bearded ones?
Old 11-13-2011, 03:32 PM   #14
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

If you intend to be working there for a long time, you definitely need to tell them. Even if there is no background check now, the policy could change or a client could demand it as a condition of work. While the issue may or may not cause them to not hire you, finding out that you lied to them will definitely be cause for firing.

The only good jobs that do not require a background check these days seem to be Congressman and POTUS.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:39 PM   #15
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

guys your support is noted and appreciated. keep it coming. rich, i thought about that too. my passport has to be renewed and i may end up going to nigeria for a project. travel to different country? have to see if i can get in. "wait what do you mean you can't go?" "welllll i kinda had a run in with the wrong woman that made me an unpaid state employee for a bit." "hmm. well now...." shit. just shit. i should be alright but damn y'all.