The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Creative Expression
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Creative Expression Post your own works and chat about them

Old 03-14-2019, 01:53 PM   #811
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Protip

Avoid a crushed limb in situations like this by making sure the *edge* of the cabinet hits the limb for a clean amputation.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:06 PM   #812
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Oh man, that was a clusterfuck. I missed where the table came into play.
That's one of those you're a hero or a goat. But in the end he done good.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:31 AM   #813
Griff
still says videotape

Wow.

Next time inclined plane.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:27 AM   #814
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Wow.

Next time inclined plane.
Werd. And a skateboard.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:54 PM   #815
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Exclamation

Getting ready to make:

The floor in the bathroom is being rebuilt. I am at the stage of applying the cementboard (Durock) to the plywood. I have read the war stories about using thinset to adhere and/or void-fill the cementboard - plywood interface.

I have chosen the rebel side and will not use thinset between the plywood and the cementboard, in defiance of the Empire (cementboard manufacturers and their pro-thinset propaganda). I will dry fit the cementboard for size/fit, cutting as needed. For example I need to cut a hole in one board to fit around the toilet flange. And the third sheet is bigger than the remaining uncovered floor. I will *fasten* the cementboard very liberally to the plywood underlayment with the appropriate specialty fasteners at 4-inch intervals along the edges and across the field. This, I believe, will draw the cementboard down to the plywood very effectively eliminating any voids between the two layers that could be a crushable space, leading to a tile stress/failure.

Here's my question.

I have the specialty mesh tape and a tub of premixed thinset and I'm considering the need / benefit of taping the edges of the cementboard together (on top, of course).

Your input is welcome.

No pressure, but I'm going to start this particular phase of the process as soon as I have a little to eat then change into my construction costume.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:59 PM   #816
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Fitting the third of three pieces now. Crickets from you lot.

Do I have to post these urgent questions in the morning?
Old 06-18-2019, 06:15 AM   #817
Griff
still says videotape

It's the next day. I'm looking at tile I need to remove from my kitchen. Do better than me.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:39 AM   #818
glatt

If it were me, I would follow the directions on the tin.

Thinset is cheap and strong and not much trouble. I would buy a bag of the stuff and mix up batches as I go. It's like making pancake batter. Easy.

But I have never done a tile floor. So what do I know?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:15 AM   #819
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

This is done.

Good night.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:07 PM   #820
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Scrambled eggs, and dirty dishes.

Day ain't over yet.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #821
glatt

Name:  4free.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  38.4 KB

I got one of these backpacking chairs for Father's day. They are like $20 and very comfortable. I had one already from Christmas a year ago. Same brand and model. I wanted a second one so my wife and I could just grab a chair and sit on the porch drinking a glass of wine.

Anyway, the chair I got for Father's day was significantly less comfortable. I felt like I was sliding out of the seat. Upon closer inspection I realized the manufacturer had switched the slightly longer front legs with the slightly shorter rear legs. The chair was dumping me forward.

I'm sure I could have bitched and moaned and asked them to return it and send a new one, but I actually viewed it as a double gift, because now I had a neat little project.

I went down into my shop and tried to pull the little rubber feet off the legs so I could unhook the bungie cord inside and remove the legs. The little feet weren't budging. I needed to clamp the legs in a vice so I could hammer the feet off with a hammer striking a block of wood. But the feet really weren't budging. I was going to have to clamp it so hard, the tube would be crushed.

So I grabbed a block of wood and a drill bit the same size as one of the legs, and I drilled a hole in the block of wood. Cut the wood apart through the hole. Used that to gently but very firmly clamp the fragile aluminum leg in the vice. And hammers those feet off the legs. Then it was a simple matter of untying the bungie cord and swapping the legs front to back, threading the bungie cord back through the joint, tying it back off, and putting the feet back on.

All in all, it was about 20 minutes of fun work, and the chair is super comfortable now.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:59 PM   #822
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Yeet!

Old 06-19-2019, 11:28 PM   #823
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
snip
So I grabbed a block of wood and a drill bit the same size as one of the legs, and I drilled a hole in the block of wood. Cut the wood apart through the hole with the bandsaw I made my very own self. Used that to gently but very firmly clamp the fragile aluminum leg in the vice. And hammers those feet off the legs. Then it was a simple matter of untying the bungie cord and swapping the legs front to back, threading the bungie cord back through the joint, tying it back off, and putting the feet back on.

All in all, it was about 20 minutes of fun work, and the chair is super comfortable now.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:09 AM   #824
Griff
still says videotape

If you add in building a saw, that's a fair amount of prep time.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:50 AM   #825
Griff
still says videotape

I made the springs sag on my Tacoma yesterday. Ride, composted horse manure, and firewood.
Attached Images

Tags
diy