The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-12-2018, 03:01 PM   #46
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

London will not cease being a vibrant world city because of brexit.

The demographics may shift - certainly, but London is a world city with inhabitants from every part of the world. It was ever thus.

Brexit will almost certainly have a profound impact on London's ability to act as a financial centre and may well lose a proportion of its current EU residents - but it will not stop being a world city.

Quote:
I am shocked that Dana C does not see what is clearly obvious. No Schengen means London will no longer be the cosmopolitan town it used to be. The exodus will take about 10 years.
London has been a cosmopolitan city for a very, very long time.

The rest of the country will suffer more I think.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:07 PM   #47
DanaC

Quote:
If not part of Schengen, then why will all Schengen rules, that make British travel easy in the EU, now be removed? Because Britain was part of (but did not fully implement) Schengen
No. Sorry but you are wrong.

Quote:
The Schengen Agreement and its implementing Convention were enacted in 1995 only for some signatories,but just over two years later during the Amsterdam Intergovernmental Conference, all European Union member states except the United Kingdom and Ireland had signed the Agreement. It was during those negotiations, which led to the Amsterdam Treaty, that the incorporation of the Schengen acquis[7] into the main body of European Union law was agreed along with opt-outs for Ireland and the United Kingdom, which were to remain outside of the Schengen Area.[8]
Old 12-12-2018, 05:26 PM   #48
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

That deceitful dullard tw quoted a part of the article I linked to:

Quote:
The UK formally requested to participate in certain provisions of the Schengen acquis
Then he leaves out what immediately follows his quoted selection in a blatant attempt to defraud.

Quote:
– Title III relating to Police Security and Judicial Cooperation – in 1999, and this request was approved by the Council of the European Union on 29 May 2000. The United Kingdom's formal participation in the previously approved areas of cooperation was put into effect by a 2004 Council decision that came into effect on 1 January 2005. Although the United Kingdom is not part of the Schengen passport-free area, it still uses the Schengen Information System, a governmental database used by European countries to store and disseminate information on individuals and property. This allows the UK to exchange information with countries that are a part of the Schengen agreement, often for the sake of liaising over law enforcement.[ ...
Bold mine, which is the only part relevant to this discussion.

As usual, tw gets caught lying and tries to manipulate irrelevant information in a smoke and mirrors attempt to deceive people.

I stated the fact that the UK opted out of Schengen. That the UK requested participation in "Police Security and Judicial Cooperation" aspects of Schengen has little bearing on the vibrancy of London. The passport free area which the UK opted out of and never participated in is the RELEVANT fact. Tw misattributed London's vibrancy to an aspect of the Schengen Area that the UK was never part of.

Tw is a senile old coot.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:59 PM   #49
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

One twist is that Ireland's opt-out of Schengen is contingent on maintaining the Common Travel Area, which may not be possible post-Brexit. So while the UK may not have to remove itself from Schengen, it may need to figure out how to deal with Ireland joining it.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:42 PM   #50
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Do ya think they'll have to build a wall?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:15 PM   #51
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianne View Post
... but I think you might be mixing up Schengen with the relevant aspects of Maastricht (The Maastricht Treaty or Treaty of Maastricht or whatever they called it) from the early 1990s.
Much was in common with Schengen and Maastricht. How much different are the details? I am not sure, but it is irrelevant. Maastricht no longer applies. Maastricht gave London so much of its vitality. Schengen is the treaty that continues or expanded it. With a hard Brexit, all the advantages of Maastricht and Schengen are lost. Economic downturn is inevitable.

Discussed are a disaster from a hard Brexit. That is worse case. No EU country should agree to a soft Brexit. What will happen in Ireland (the so called backstop) should result in massive pain and economic disaster to an interconnected Ireland / Northern Ireland economy. No problem. The so many brainwashed midlanders don't know and don't care. They would rather believe Boris Johnson had a plan and was working in their interest. Just like saying Trump is working for everyone but himself. Never happen.

Brexit is a disaster for the British middle class and working class - who have no idea how destructive it will be. Large amounts of industrial production must leave Britain to survive - if Brexit happens. Unfortunately due to no intelligent thought and a deal that never had a hope in hell, Brexit will happen and will be destructive.

Only one question remains. How destructive - both short term and long term?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:55 AM   #52
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I'm sure Elaine May, working with the phone manufacturers in Shenzhen, will figure something out.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:35 AM   #53
DanaC

lol
Old 12-15-2018, 10:57 PM   #54
tw

Theresa May must change her name. Everything she writes in a speech causes wild laughter in the House of Commons. Elaine May writes good comedy.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:17 AM   #55
Rhianne
Nearly done.

Interestingly, or not, MPs are not actually permitted to read written speeches in the House of Commons.
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:01 AM   #56
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sure is a lot of these on the net...
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2018, 05:42 AM   #57
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Here's an interesting correlation, Brexit vote vs Mad Cow coverage. (I think they're lying)
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2018, 08:13 AM   #58
Rhianne
Nearly done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
(I think they're lying)
Maybe joking rather than lying but, yes, it's obviously fake.
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:05 AM   #59
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianne View Post
I... MPs are not actually permitted to read written speeches in the House of Commons.
She still writes that comedy before speaking it. Britain has chosen to laugh. Then pain can be ignored. Let the good times roll - all over them.

Brexit never made sense to anyone who is an adult thinking like an adult.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:57 PM   #60
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
She still writes that comedy before speaking it.
It is called stand-up. Only better comedians do it.