The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 11-14-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
Cloud

Movie warning---yeah, I'm pissy about it!

One of my coworkers forwarded this "warning" about The Golden Compass movie, based on the books by Philip Pullman:

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Hey!
I thought I would share some information I received today. There is a movie, "The Golden Compass", coming out this Holiday season that is a "children's" movie; supposed to be opposite the Chronicles of Narnia that in the end children "kill God". The guy who wrote it hates C.S. Lewis and is a open atheist. Nicole Kidman is staring in this film! I just thought I would share, as this movie will be aimed at children and probably try to fool parents into thinking it is "harmless". Take a couple of minutes and click on the link to read about it.
http://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp
Blessings,

This really bums my butt. Warning the public that this movie is harmful to your children because of an anti-religious theme. Don't my co-workers know me at all? Why are they sending me this religious drivel?

. . . I think I'll use it as a recommendation. My children would LOVE to take their kids to a movie with an anti-religious theme.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:52 AM   #2
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Nicole Kidman is staring in this film!
This was my favorite part! Staring? On film?
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:53 AM   #3
Cloud

must be a close up
Old 11-14-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

An excerpt from another "warning" letter posted on Snopes says this:

Quote:
As I understand it, in the last book, a boy and a girl are depicted representing Adam and Eve and they kill God, who at times is called YAHWEH (which is definitely not Allah.) Since the movie would seem mild if you viewed it, that's been done on purpose.
I'm really trying to find another interpretation of this beyond my initial one, which is that it would be perfectly acceptable to this person if the book were advocating killing Allah instead of Yahweh.

I don't have a problem with people spreading the word to their friends or family that a movie might not be something they would enjoy, but for a coworker to send it to you is out of line, IMHO.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
This was my favorite part! Staring? On film?
That would be an improvement over her performance in "Bewitched."
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:23 AM   #6
Cloud

well, it must be a theme. Bewitched has a witch, right? so that's anti-religion, right?
Old 11-14-2007, 11:23 AM   #7
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Yes, she's uniquely talented for the role of staring.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:25 AM   #8
Cloud

Huh. Snopes has kind of a cool page on religious urban legends, with color coding for those which are true/false.

http://snopes.com/politics/religion/

rzkenrage, are you taking note?
Old 11-14-2007, 11:31 AM   #9
rkzenrage

Good article
http://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp
Amazon has the ten-year anniversary editions of the trilogy. I have not read them yet, but look forward to it.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:23 PM   #10
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Nietzsche is dead!! lol!!
Old 11-14-2007, 01:03 PM   #11
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

When I first saw this on snopes I readit with my mouth open. While it's true - and clear in the book - the this is an attack on organised religion, the logic that the film was trying to slip it to you gently so you went on to buy the books is ludicrous.

Also is the idea that if your children like the books and are taking the ideas on board that they are a tool of the debbil. If Christian children cannot read any books which espouse anything other than a pro-Christian ideal then they are not being educated, they are being brainwashed.

Personally I adored the books, and bought a set for two other people who also adored them. Densely plotted, well rounded characters, fascinating beings and fast moving adventure. I was so drawn in that I cried more than once. And I mean put the put down and howled.

I'm afraid the film worries my far more than when I first heard Harry Potter was being filmed. This is a rich, subtle and sometimes coplicated set of books. I wish they'd left it alone.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:10 PM   #12
BigMcLargeHuge
cold whack fashizzel

I'll get the books for my kids. I almost did a couple months ago, but the boy chose another series instead.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:11 PM   #13
lookout123
changed his status to single

to be fair, while there are some people may be convinced that words on the page might steal their kid's soul, i think most folks would just view this as an opportunity to vote with their dollars. In all honesty, would an ardent atheist like Rage be thrilled to find that his kids are enthralled with, say, the [i]Left Behind[i] series? probably not. is it because he fears his kids would be brainwashed? probably not, but more likely because the subject matter as a foolish waste of time with no constructive value to his children.*

*I have no idea if Rkzenrage actually feels that way about the series, he's just an easy example as an outspoken atheist and critic of all things "christian".
Old 11-14-2007, 02:09 PM   #14
shina
Hopeful

Haven't even heard of it so I guess I won't be seeing it. No frets, other good movies out there.
shina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:24 PM   #15
rkzenrage

Anything that teaches kids to question is a good thing.

Tags
movies