The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 09-30-2018, 09:20 AM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Cornbread Recipe Please

From Scratch, tried and trusted, the not sweet ?Northern variety.....

My two college kids have decided they like cornbread so I'd like to make some for them but I have no idea where to start. I am told there are two varieties, sweet and less sweet the latter being more popular in the North, so I'm guessing that's the type they would want. Usually served to accompany Chili at chili cook-offs here......

thank you
Old 09-30-2018, 10:05 AM   #2
monster

Hmm I just found an article that says the Northern one is the sweeter one. I have no idea which recipe I need
Old 09-30-2018, 10:10 AM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

One single opinion

I am a northerner and my kin is from New England. The sweet version is the only one I find valid

"authentic" bbq places around here offer a version with jalapenos and that makes me furious

I prefer to call it cormbread via this early meme

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:10 AM   #4
monster

....but it seems southern is made in a skillet and the one I want is definitely baked. Oh help!

It must be Northern style :/
Old 09-30-2018, 10:13 AM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Not edited to add, the corner pieces are the best pieces

No. The CORMER PIECES.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:14 AM   #6
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
One single opinion

I am a northerner and my kin is from New England. The sweet version is the only one I find valid
thanks, I'm thinking that must be the one i want.

I don't like it, I'm not a fan of corn in any form other than fresh from the field on a cob lightly steamed and dripping in butter.... but I want to make a tiny treat for my hard-working stressed-out adult kids who I suspect are not eating as well as they should...
Old 09-30-2018, 10:28 AM   #7
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Years ago I made corn bread regularly (don't still have the recipe). I found a nice thing about it is that you can make it less intrinsically sweet and put out a shaker of powered sugar for people to sweeten it to taste. That topping goes as well on corn bread as it does on powered donuts.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:51 AM   #8
glatt

Maybe I am a simpleton, but just buy a box of Jiffy or Washington and follow the directions on the box. They are simple and wholesome and inexpensive.

My wife has made corn bread from scratch a few times, and that's good too, but hardly worth the effort.

Brownies are another thing that you should make from a box because homemade is just not that much better to make it worth the effort.

Cake should be made from scratch because the mixes suck. Just throwing that in there so you can see where I draw the line.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:59 AM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
There has long been a debate whether cornbread should have sugar added into cornbread or not, depending on what part of the great US of A you are from. Having tried and tested both types, using many different recipes on the web and in recipe books through the years, I have to say I’m more partial to sweet cornbread. DON’T HATE ME! There’s something about a crispy, crunchy buttery crust, with a soft and fluffy inside that is so addictive, with a perfect amount of honey. It could also be simply that I’ve been raised with sweet fluffy corn bread to accompany our families chili recipe, while also eating slices of it for breakfast, warmed up and oozing with melted butter. Mmmmmmmm….. butterrrrrr….
link
Old 09-30-2018, 01:23 PM   #10
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Maybe I am a simpleton, but just buy a box of Jiffy or Washington and follow the directions on the box. They are simple and wholesome and inexpensive.

My wife has made corn bread from scratch a few times, and that's good too, but hardly worth the effort.

Brownies are another thing that you should make from a box because homemade is just not that much better to make it worth the effort.

Cake should be made from scratch because the mixes suck. Just throwing that in there so you can see where I draw the line.
PoloGirl was making the Jiffy yesterday, but found it lacking. (Jiffy is based in Chelsea MI, about 20 miles from here!)

I am not, however, planning on this being a regular thing, just a nice "mid-semester-hump pick-me up for my deserving scholars. So I anticipate more Jiffy in their futures.... but I want to try from scratch once, just to see.

PoloGirl would also disagree about Brownie mixes. She makes the standard Hershey's recipe and her Brownies are much requested
Old 09-30-2018, 01:24 PM   #11
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Years ago I made corn bread regularly (don't still have the recipe). I found a nice thing about it is that you can make it less intrinsically sweet and put out a shaker of powered sugar for people to sweeten it to taste. That topping goes as well on corn bread as it does on powered donuts.
were you baking in oven or making in skillet?
Old 09-30-2018, 01:34 PM   #12
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Baking in oven.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:48 PM   #13
monster

great thanks
Old 09-30-2018, 02:00 PM   #14
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

in skillet in the oven with a dollop of bacon grease ,
heat the skillet with the bacon grease ,
when you pour in the mix it should sizzle ,
we call it a poan of corn bread ,
the bacog grease makes a LOVELY brown ring at the top ( the BESTEST part ifn you ask me ) .
Old 09-30-2018, 06:23 PM   #15
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

that's because in a round skillet there are no cormers