The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 01-31-2015, 12:33 PM   #196
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's interesting, just when I think it's going one way it hangs a left and ducks up an alley we me trying to keep up.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:59 PM   #197
glatt

Good for him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Warning: there is a super-douchey quote from my brother in the article, but that's who he is and we love him anyway.
I'm always amazed at people who can talk that way Do they just sit around, thinking up stuff like that to say, or is their brain actually wired taht way so that's what they are actually thinking at the moment?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:45 PM   #198
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I liked it. I also listened to Fits the Crime .
Old 01-31-2015, 04:15 PM   #199
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I'm not his parent, but if Dana can refer to her younger brother as "our kid" per UK conventions, then I can too.

So my brother's new single release has a little feature in Texas Monthly, which is a not-small publication in the area. Warning: there is a super-douchey quote from my brother in the article, but that's who he is and we love him anyway. The song itself is embedded at the bottom of the article, and I'll admit that while I like the melody and lyrics, I hate the vocal processing. But still! My brother is in Texas Monthly magazine!
Excellent. I straight up liked that. It got a little over-produced at the end but is right in my daughters wheel-house musically. She did her first college radio show Friday night and this would have fit right in.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:21 PM   #200
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
I'm always amazed at people who can talk that way Do they just sit around, thinking up stuff like that to say, or is their brain actually wired taht way so that's what they are actually thinking at the moment?
I dunno how much is wiring vs. habit, but he has fully inhabited that persona for sure. He's actually a lot better than he used to be; he'll make normal conversation in social settings and only go all supreme bullshit metaphysical if you prompt him. But if politics comes up, he'll definitely do a fair amount of railing against the Man and all His Institutions.

If we didn't look so much alike, no one would ever believe we were related. Which in itself is funny--both he and I think we don't look much alike at all, but fucking everybody and their dog says we do. He was once recognized alone in our neighborhood as my brother by people who didn't know I had a brother.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:23 PM   #201
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
She did her first college radio show Friday night and this would have fit right in.
Tell her to play it, he'll kill for any kind of exposure at this point.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:05 AM   #202
Griff
still says videotape

I sent her a link yesterday, she really liked the intro. Parental pressure will be applied. Your brother looks like a kid I know.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:01 PM   #203
Griff
still says videotape

She said she'd see what she could do. with a
Old 02-01-2015, 05:55 PM   #204
Clodfobble

If by some weird series of events she ever ends up interviewing/meeting him, make sure she remembers that he is way too old and unambitious for her.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:21 PM   #205
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hey, you're talking about Griff's kid.
Like her old man, sharp as a tack and can't be hoodwinked by ne'er-do-wells...

...even if their sister loves them.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:34 AM   #206
Griff
still says videotape

Hey! She dumped that boy. New guy is more motivated.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:16 PM   #207
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
We gave our 15yo daughter tickets to see Pippen at the National Theater for Christmas. She's really into broadway shows now and it was pretty much the perfect gift for her. She and my wife went, and she waited by the stage door to get autographs and chat with the cast.

So a couple days ago, she told us that she really wanted to go see it again before it left town. She was counting out all her money that she had, raiding her coin jar to come up with the ticket price, but it was really stressing her out because she had spent so much for Christmas gifts. She also had plans to get a birthday friend a present and go to the Hobbit with another friend, so funds were really tight.

So I suggested she just do the last minute lottery to buy unsold seats for $25 and just leave it up to the Pippen gods to see if she was going to get to see the show again. Maybe it would be sold out, or maybe not.

So she just went to downtown DC on the Metro all by herself,and went up to the box office and got her name on the lottery list, and won! She got one of the $150 orchestra seats for only $25.

So I'm proud of her that she's independent enough to get herself downtown in a major city and get seats to a show. Presumably, she'll get herself back home as well, but that remains to be seen.

Yesterday she did it again. This time she introduced the whole thing to a friend of hers. They saw Chicago. And they got seats together in row E, five rows from the stage. Way on the side, but still really good seats. She's so excited about this new thing she can do. And she got J. Peterman's autograph afterwards!
Old 02-16-2015, 07:44 AM   #208
Griff
still says videotape

Nice!
Old 02-16-2015, 07:57 AM   #209
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

What a resourceful and independent young lady! Very cool!

I used to get J Peterman catalogs, having been curious after the J Peterman on Seinfeld. I was wondering how your daughter knew what J Peterman looked like, then I realized "Oh, John O'Hurley must be in the cast." D'oh! Of course, google verified this, and then I got curious as to what the real J Peterman is like. It's an interesting story.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:07 AM   #210
glatt

I need to ask her how she knew it was J. Peterman. I don't think she has seen much Seinfeld. Maybe it was mentioned in his Playbill bio paragraph.