The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #46
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood. I didn't know that Radar's list of accomplishments was supposed to be serious. I was just adding to the joke.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:41 AM   #47
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You rightwingnuts are a joke.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:38 PM   #48
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
It never ceases to amaze me that some are so consumed with hate that they buy into these inane viral e-mails without a second thought.
That was his second thought.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #49
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:

It never ceases to amaze me that some are so consumed with hate that they buy into these inane viral e-mails without a second thought.
Well if someone on FOX says it, it must be true, right?
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #50
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama told banks Thursday they should pay a new tax to recoup the cost of bailing out foundering firms at the height of the financial crisis. "We want our money back," he said.

The tax, which would require congressional approval, would last at least 10 years and generate about $90 billion over the decade, according to administration estimates. "If these companies are in good enough shape to afford massive bonuses, they are surely in good enough shape to afford paying back every penny to taxpayers," Obama said.
Advisers believe the administration can make an argument that banks should tap their bonus pools for the fee instead of passing the cost on to consumers.
The proposed 0.15 percent tax on the liabilities of large financial institutions would apply only to those companies with assets of more than $50 billion — a group estimated at about 50. Administration officials estimate that 60 percent of the revenue would come from the 10 biggest ones.

WOW
I have quite a few beefs with Obama, the biggest of which is, he didn't tackle regulation of banks etc., when he had a chance to get some REAL REFORM passed. Now there is a big fat chance in hell of getting anything real and meaningful through. Banks are still getting fat off the backs of taxpayers. We will never recoup all the money from them. They should have to pay back not only what WE gave them, but also what was LOST, as a result of their insane high stakes gambling.

He also stayed in the background during the whole healthcare debate and let it get out of control. Because of the way he did it (or rather didn't, since he was mostly absent), the crap that is getting through is, again, not real insurance reform. It is a big fat payoff, by taxpayers, to big insurance companies. (I admit I haven't been paying attention the past 2 weeks because I had surgery. But before that, the bill was crap.)

Upping the war in Afghanistan. We will never win that war. We cannot beat terrorism. Terrorism is a tactic, and al qaeda and other fundamentalist anti-US groups operate now all over the globe. Spending all that money if Afghanistan is a mistake, especially since we need that money HERE, in our own country. The measures we are taking are simply to make citizens feel better. (Like amping up airport security in certain countries. Terrorists aren't stupid. They will just get on planes in Britain or Sweden or some other country where the security is less.)

I really expected more when I voted for Obama. Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but I am really pretty disappointed. I thought by now we would have serious banking reform in place, a really good health care bill passed that covered everyone and lowered costs, and getting us OUT of the middle east.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:50 PM   #51
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
Upping the war in Afghanistan. We will never win that war. We cannot beat terrorism. Terrorism is a tactic, and al qaeda and other fundamentalist anti-US groups operate now all over the globe. Spending all that money if Afghanistan is a mistake, especially since we need that money HERE, in our own country.
Where were you when the resulting costs were defined so many years ago. The question was simple and obvious. "When are we going after bin Laden." Wackos all but protected their 'boggy man'. Completely surrendered in Afghanistan. That was when you should have been asking this question. Now we have no choice but to spend massively - harm the economy - because wackos literally subverted every effort to get bin Laden.

The CIA chief who was killed in Afghanistan was one of this nation's best experts in bin Laden and Al Qaeda. Why do you know that? She was a member of Alec Station. The group established by Clinton to only do one thing - get bin Laden. What happened to Alec Station? It was disbanded by George Jr because a political agenda was more important than America's interests. Those who saw this problem being created said, "When do we go after bin Laden?" Those who hated America due to a political agenda or plain ignorance would not ask that question. How often did you ask, "When are we going after bin Laden?"

C.I.A. Closes Unit Focused on Capture of bin Laden on 4 July 2006. That smoking gun obvious reality was to everyone - no doubts remained - of an American created disaster in Afghanistan. Was I not blunt honest enough back then? How many years ago - when George Jr was still in office - did you know the Taliban had almost completely reconquered Afghanistan?

We have no choice directly traceable to leaders who failed us by promoting a political agenda ahead of America's interests. Like Pearl Harbor, we have no alternatives. Only the minority here were telling you this when it mattered - before "Shock and Awe" and "Mission Accomplished". When the public remains brainwashed dumb, then costs due to protecting Public Enemy #1 only increase. Welcome to what the American public wanted when wackos lied about Saddam's WMDs - even tried to blame 11 September on Saddam. The resulting costs to America directly traceable to outright and intentional lies in 2001 and 2002. Lies so accurately identified back then by the few who also asked "When do we go after bin Laden?"
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #52
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
I have quite a few beefs with Obama, the biggest of which is, he didn't tackle regulation of banks etc., when he had a chance to get some REAL REFORM passed.
We still do not know, yet, how perverted the system is. We still need standards even for the accounting industry that has been so complicit in this corruption – that is not yet being identified. Where and how widespread is the subversion? Banking reform is scheduled for next year. It will be long and complicated, in part, because the finance industry corruption - obvious back in the 1990s with LTCM - is embedded in most every new law since then. The corruption is that widespread. And many are so stupid as to think bankers, stockbrokerages, hedge funds, etc need the 'best and the brightest'.

If those people are so good, then we want them in industries that actually make something. IOW expensive tellers should not reap multilple six and seven figure numbers for doing nothing productive – for only moving money. Unfortunately, we will see many so corrupt as to think, for example, a stock broker deserves a six figure salary. We have yet to address a reality. If you think health care has been a problem, wait to you see how ‘Limbaugh spin’ makes financial reform into a fiasco.

The lesser students I graduated with were also making $millions in finance companies. One bragged one day how me make and lost multiple $milllions about three years out of college. No problem. He reaped it back again. Salesmanship - not innovation and the advancement of mankind - is more important.

We have discussed that reality here often – with appropriate venom. And so many so believed the lies as to also believe the myths about mutual funds.

You want reform? Next year we will see how brainwashed so many can become. Did you notice many who even thought a new GM car was a good thing? How many decades were facts posted in the Cellar – and so many just denied it. Wait to you see the propaganda and public support for the finance industry - especially from the political extremist (in both parties) that are bought and paid for by Goldman Sachs, AIG, et al. That issue is too complex for this year. Ongoing behind the scenes are studies necessary before we can even begin to address a routinely corrupt finance industry. Only then will Congress be ready to consider necessary changes such as derivatives in open and regulated markets.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #53
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:

I really expected more when I voted for Obama. Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but I am really pretty disappointed. I thought by now we would have serious banking reform in place, a really good health care bill passed that covered everyone and lowered costs, and getting us OUT of the middle east.
I didn't vote for him but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt in my 'wait and see' attitude.

I am however not seeing much because I have had my head stuck under a pillow and shaking in my boots since 2001.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:46 PM   #54
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Quote:
I have quite a few beefs with Obama, the biggest of which is, he didn't tackle regulation of banks etc., when he had a chance to get some REAL REFORM passed. Now there is a big fat chance in hell of getting anything real and meaningful through. Banks are still getting fat off the backs of taxpayers. We will never recoup all the money from them. They should have to pay back not only what WE gave them, but also what was LOST, as a result of their insane high stakes gambling.

He also stayed in the background during the whole healthcare debate and let it get out of control. Because of the way he did it (or rather didn't, since he was mostly absent), the crap that is getting through is, again, not real insurance reform. It is a big fat payoff, by taxpayers, to big insurance companies. (I admit I haven't been paying attention the past 2 weeks because I had surgery. But before that, the bill was crap.)

Upping the war in Afghanistan. We will never win that war. We cannot beat terrorism. Terrorism is a tactic, and al qaeda and other fundamentalist anti-US groups operate now all over the globe. Spending all that money if Afghanistan is a mistake, especially since we need that money HERE, in our own country. The measures we are taking are simply to make citizens feel better. (Like amping up airport security in certain countries. Terrorists aren't stupid. They will just get on planes in Britain or Sweden or some other country where the security is less.)

I didn't. I figured Obama had 'signed on' to the agenda in order to get elected, and I see that he has.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:53 PM   #55
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I think you overestimate the power of the Office of President, and underestimate the power of Congress.

I also think he has underestimated the power of his office, and acquiesced to the power of Congress.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #56
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Great observation; well put.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:27 PM   #57
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudcon View Post
Don't forget these accomplishments
--1st president in 110 years to miss the annual Army-Navy Football Game.

---1st president to not attend any Christmas religious observance.

---1st president to stay on vacation after a terrorist attack

Add to that, he's the first President not to stay in Washington for Christmas for the last 20 years. Past Presidents did not leave Washington for Christmas vacation until after Christmas. This was done so that their staff (Secret Service, Air Force One Crew, Limousine transport, Presidential advancing logistics etc..) could be with their families for Christmas.

Those are all positive things in my book. He chose to be with his family and work on fixing the BUSH RECESSION rather than wasting time on stupid things.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #58
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Sorry posted this in the wrong thread - Could a Mod please delete post in Earthquake thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
1.Ordered a study to cut spending 2.Ordered a review to cut wasteful spending
(2fer - also see #64)

4.Beginning the withdrawal of US troops from Iraq

10.Limits on lobbyist's access to the White House
11.Limits on White House aides working for lobbyists after their tenure in the administration
(we'll see about these two - I certainly don't think its "accomplished" at this point in time.)

13.Phasing out expensive and outdated weapons systems

14.Removed restrictions on embryonic stem-cell research/15.Federal support for stem-cell and new biomedical research
(another 2fer)

21.The prison at Guantanamo Bay is being phased out
(what was his campaign promise?)

33.Reengaged in talks about global warming and greenhouse gas
(yet refused to sign binding agreement)

34.Visited more countries than any president in his first six months in office
(Whoopie!)

39.Announced plans to purchase American-made cars for the federal government

55.Initiating a new policy to promote federal hiring of military spouses

57.Increasing student loans
(???)
58.Increasing opportunities in AmeriCorps program

61.Beginning the process of reforming and restructuring the military

63.Ordered a review of hurricane and natural disaster preparedness

64.Established a Performance Officer charged with saving the federal government money
(Same as #1-2)

66.Improving benefits for veterans

67.More press conferences and town halls
75.Established commission to make recommendations on Medicare costs
(same as healthcare reform)

84/85.Returned money authorized for refurbishment of White House offices and Paid out of his own pocket
(another 2-fer)

87.Attempting to reform the nation's healthcare system

88.Has put the ball in play for comprehensive immigration reform
89.Has announced his intention to push for energy reform
90.Has announced his intention to push for education reform

Oh, and he built a swing set for the girls outside the Oval Office!
I think there are a number of good things that Obama has begun to do. I agree with some of the directions he is taking. I also disagree with some things.
I ran through this list and just thought I'd highlight some of the things which aren't accomplished YET or don't fit the "what he has done" label.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:04 PM   #59
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Sorry posted this in the wrong thread - Could a Mod please delete post in Earthquake thread

I think there are a number of good things that Obama has begun to do. I agree with some of the directions he is taking. I also disagree with some things.
I ran through this list and just thought I'd highlight some of the things which aren't accomplished YET or don't fit the "what he has done" label.
Re: Number 10:limits on lobbyist's access to the White House.

One of the most sweeping changes is not just limiting lobbyists' access to the White House...but limiting the influence of lobbyists throughout the Executive Branch by barring them from serving on advisory committees that provide guidance on drafting and/or reviewing regulations.

It received little notice at the time of its publication last summer, but K street has been in a frenzy in the last few months as it is put into place.

Quote:
Hundreds, if not thousands, of lobbyists are likely to be ejected from federal advisory panels as part of a little-noticed initiative by the Obama administration to curb K Street's influence in Washington, according to White House officials and lobbying experts.

The new policy -- issued with little fanfare this fall by the White House ethics counsel -- may turn out to be the most far-reaching lobbying rule change so far from President Obama, who also has sought to restrict the ability of lobbyists to get jobs in his administration and to negotiate over stimulus contracts.

The initiative is aimed at a system of advisory committees so vast that federal officials don't have exact numbers for its size; the most recent estimates tally nearly 1,000 panels with total membership exceeding 60,000 people.

Under the policy, which is being phased in over the coming months, none of the more than 13,000 lobbyists in Washington would be able to hold seats on the committees, which advise agencies on trade rules, troop levels, environmental regulations, consumer protections and thousands of other government policies.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...112602362.html
It is influencing regulations, as much as or more than influencing legislation, through which industry lobbyists can be most self-serving.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #60
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Re: Number 10:limits on lobbyist's access to the White House.
But yet the lobbyists are merely not registering and still doing the same thing without the constraints that Obama and his henchmen put on them. So what has changed?

Quote:
One of the most sweeping changes is not just limiting lobbyists' access to the White House...but limiting the influence of lobbyists throughout the Executive Branch by barring them from serving on advisory committees that provide guidance on drafting and/or reviewing regulations.
So how does that make a difference when they merely deregister as a lobbyist?