The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-08-2004, 01:35 PM   #1
russotto
Professor

Window Film

Anyone have low-E window film installed? I've got a townhouse which gets hot as blazes upstairs, and the AC bill is through the roof. I was discussing reflective (privacy) window film with someone and later, searching on it, I ran across low-E transparent window film.

Seems this stuff transmits most visible light but blocks out a lot of the heat and pretty much all the UV. But does it change the color of the light? If I got it applied to some windows in a room, would it look stupid if I didn't do them all? How much does it cost? And how much could I save off the AC bill?
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 02:46 PM   #2
lookout123
changed his status to single

most of the newer houses here in phoenix offer factory low e glass (the film is inside the glass. that works incredibly well
some of the older homeowners that ran out and got the film had problems with it bubbling up and peeling at the corners, like a bad tint job on your nephews pimped out honda crx.
YMMV
Old 07-08-2004, 03:42 PM   #3
marichiko

A mini-development of about 10 new homes has been put in just around the side of the hill from me. The houses all have this very cool looking coppery sort of reflective glass in the windows. Don't know how efficient it is, but all the windows have been done up in it (not just some) and the over-all effect is quite impressive from the outside, anyhow.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:26 PM   #4
Carbonated_Brains
Does it show up here when I type?

It might be gold, actually. If you coat glass with a super thin coat of gold, it becomes an amazing reflector.

We have an entire office building coated with 2,500 oz of gold, downtown Toronto.

Too big for inline, click here
Carbonated_Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 04:41 PM   #5
marichiko

WOW! Very impressive, indeed! (need sun-glasses for that sucker!)
Old 07-08-2004, 04:51 PM   #6
Carbonated_Brains
Does it show up here when I type?

Fitting that it's a bank building.
Carbonated_Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 05:05 PM   #7
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

carb, they've done a disservice to the neighboring buildings. they all just look filthy now.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 05:33 PM   #8
be-bop
Operations Operative

In the office I work in there's similar film on the windows and its so depressing looking out you can't tell if its sunny(not that it shines much in Scotland).
It's like constantly looking out at a grey cloudy day,but the mean crew I work for would have went for the cheapest option.
Research well before comitting.

Last edited by be-bop; 07-09-2004 at 02:49 PM.
be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 09:18 PM   #9
Sperlock
Elite Elitist

Thumbs up

I agree with what be-bop said. I can't answer your AC question yet, as I haven't gotten all the windows filmed that I want to. But for what is filmed, there's a lot less heat coming through those windows.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:57 PM   #10
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I Think it's pretty slick how that stuff works. Polarized, kind of, but the angle of light entry changes whether the heat is reflected or retained, depending upon the season, and the height of the sun.

Do they put it on upside down in the southern hemisphere? Does it not work at the equator? Do i have my perception of how the sun shines on the earth all fucked up because of the axial tilt? Do I ask too many questons at one time? Can you tell I'm enjoying some coffee? Can you please come slap my hands away from the keyboard and hit Submit Reply? Please?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 11:36 PM   #11
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

My father had a machine repair shop in an old barn back in the 50's. Needless to say, it would get brutally hot in there. An AC was not an option in the later years. When I started working with him in the early 80's, what we did was cover the windows with craft paper and installed a "diner vent fan" (sorry, I don't remember the correct name) that we got from a local place (Pal's Diner, Rt. 17), and believe it or not, that cooled the shop off real nice. Of course, it's not a townhouse, but one of these fans can move a lot of air real fast. And it doesn't jack up your power bill as much as AC.

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote