The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 01-22-2002, 11:05 AM   #1
Joe
Master of the Domain

Volcano aurora

This is from NASA's Astronomy Picture of the day. Do we have a cool planet or what?

Explanation is here:
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap020121.html
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 01:01 PM   #2
dave

Wow. That is <b>amazing</b>. I'm not sure how I originally missed this, but WOW.

Can we get a bigger image (maybe 1600x1200) without the ugly text?
Old 01-22-2002, 02:02 PM   #3
datalas
Generic Monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
Can we get a bigger image (maybe 1600x1200) without the ugly text? [/b]
Not perfect, as I couldn't find a higher res one for a reference....

managed to get rid of the ugly text and blow it upto 1280 * 1024, but it's beggining to look blurry at that

Take a look Here, tis about 58KB in size (or so) hence not posted.

Datalas
datalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 02:16 PM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I have nothing to add here, I just want to say that Joe has managed to post an image that was already in my queue, and it's the first time that's happened... good work Joe, I'm not complaining! It just reminds me that I should work at getting a submission queue thingie working.

It's an outstanding image and I'm not saying that just because we both picked it out.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 02:28 PM   #5
dave

First time Joe's done it, or first time anyone has done it?

*cough*

:P
Old 01-22-2002, 02:51 PM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Oh yeah! I forgot about that one, sorry!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 03:10 PM   #7
dave

Man. It's weird. I felt super awkward posting that image that day. And then the next day, I felt like it was my duty to post about the happening events. Like it <b>needed</b> to be posted that day. Then my flurry of posts started. They said it "changed everything". No doubt.

As for posting what's in the lineup, I know there have been many times where I've thought about posting an image and the next day (or even later that day), it's posted by you. If only I were a little bit quicker! Truth be told, I don't post a lot 'cause I'd rather see what you have in store, and IotD is still kinda special to me as "Tony's Image of the Day". Or at least that's how I look at it
Old 01-22-2002, 06:13 PM   #8
JonTabor
Person Who Has Posted

Quote:
Can we get a bigger image (maybe 1600x1200) without the ugly text?
Not to be picky, but the ugly text is the only way we know who took the picture, and probably the only way that this guy will get known as a photographer of such events. Taking it off basically strips him of the ability to point to the image as it propogates throughout the web and claim it as his. As a photographer, I know I'd be pissed...
JonTabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 06:43 PM   #9
Joe
Master of the Domain

Rights to works you created?

Please try and understand, this is the *Internet*...
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 07:11 PM   #10
jeni
is stuck on altair-4

yes, it is put there so that viewers will know who took the photo.

but in my opinion, and apparently in dham's opinion, the text is unsightly when compared to the beauty of the picture.

it doesn't fit in.

the photographer's name standing out on the picture doesn't fit with the beautiful colors and the image itself. it just doesn't.

if i were a photographer and someone wanted to use a photo of mine for their own personal pleasure (not, mind you, to publish as their own), i'd say to go for it. and for this reason, if i were going to put my name on the photo, i'd at least put it down in the very bottom corner, small, or along the side, in a color that didn't stand out so much.

i'm sure i would be very flattered that they appreciated the sheer beauty of the photo.
jeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 08:18 PM   #11
dave

Here, Jon Tabor. I created a background image for you.

I hope you enjoy it.

Now... maybe you get the idea. If not, let me clarify for you...

The ugly text is NOT the only way we know who took the picture. Some nice, pretty text, small and out of the way, would be another way we could know who took the picture. Imagine that.

Regardless of who took it, having a big fucking ugly name plastered on it kind of removes it from the category of "art", at least in the opinion of myself and many I know. I don't want a piece of shit for a desktop wallpaper - I want a piece of art. That's what I strive to create when I make background images. Guess what? I put my name, real small like, down in the corner. It's much easier to enjoy when there isn't some big fucking text over the image. I don't want some guy's name real huge on my desktop. No one does.

Now. As a somewhat amateur photographer and a "computer artist" who has done countless image manipulations throughout the years and has created hundreds of backgrounds, I know I would be pissed <b>if someone wrote my name all over an image such that it took away from the beauty</b>. I would be pissed if people couldn't appreciate my creation (or the image I captured) because some fugly text was all over it.

Credits have a place in art - in a corner where no one will see them unless they look. Hence van Gogh never writing "VINCENT VAN GOGH 1885" in the middle of one of his paintings.
Old 01-22-2002, 10:27 PM   #12
jeni
is stuck on altair-4

i promptly made that my background.

hahaha.
jeni is offline   Reply With Quote