The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-12-2006, 04:11 PM   #1
chrisinhouston
Professor

I wonder about having pit bulls!!!

Dec. 12, 2006, 12:17PM
Pit bull pup gnaws off baby's toes in Louisiana

Associated Press

BOSSIER CITY, La. — A puppy chewed off four of a baby girl's toes next to her sleeping parents, who were then booked on charges of child desertion and criminal negligence, police said Monday.

Mary Shannon Hansche, 22, and Christopher Wayne Hansche, 26, told police they woke to the baby's cries, found her mangled foot and took her to the hospital early Sunday.

Police said that they were sleeping on a mattress and that the month-old girl was in an infant seat beside them when the 6-week-old pit bull began chewing on her toes.

"They did not see the dog injuring the child," police spokesman Mark Natale said.

The puppy might have been trying to nurse on the toes of the baby, a veterinarian speculated.

"I know that sounds a little far-fetched, but that's the first thing that comes to my mind," Michael Dale said.

The girl underwent surgery Sunday in Shreveport. There was no way to reattach her toes, Natale said.

The puppy had no record of receiving shots and will be quarantined for 10 days while it is checked for rabies, officials said. Natale said he did not know what the animal's fate would be after that.

The child will be placed in a foster home until the case against her parents is settled, officials said.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I don't think that happened because they had a pitbull. Any dog is capable of something like that. The combination of fairly large puppy and baby is a dangerous one.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:32 PM   #3
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

What a horrible story.

Although I advocate against pitbulls - mostly because many of the people who own them shouldn't be owning any animals - I don't think in this case the puppy is to blame, but again, it goes to my stance on the intelligence levels of some pitbull owners.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:40 PM   #4
chrisinhouston
Professor

I agre with both of you but i posted it not only because it is a grim story but also because in the USA pit bulls are in the news as many cities are banning them all together. I guess my point is, is it fair to ban a breed? Even the vet in this situation said the puppy may have been trying to nurse.

My second son was 10 lb 6 oz when he was born and he almost tore off one of my ex wife's nipples trying to get some milk!!!!

Do pit bulls have this reputation in the UK or in OZ?
Old 12-12-2006, 05:47 PM   #5
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Pit bulls were bred as fighting dogs. When they do attack, they do so without warning, and do not have the "turn off" mechanisms that most dogs have.

This is not to say all pit bulls are bad. It is, of course, possible to raise a very well behaved pit bull, as it is possible to raise a vicious Golden Retriever (though I can't imagine that!)

However, should a parent take that risk, not ever really being sure what is in the bloodline? Or, even let any dog unattended around a baby that young?

Also, I can't imagine that 4 toes were totally gone before the baby cried at all. Parents can't hear a newborn fussing? Don't most parents say every noise, when the baby is so small, raises an instinctive parental alarm?

We don't have all the story, but I would say the parents were negligent.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:48 PM   #6
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Yes, pit bulls have this reputation in the UK. No, incidents like these are not the dog's fault, although the dog is all too frequently the one who is punished, usually by death. Pet ownership and parenting are things which are taken for granted IMHO. I do not believe that just because you can afford to buy a dog (or are old enough to be a parent) that you automatically have the necessary skills, sense of responsibility and right to own a pet/be a parent.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:48 PM   #7
Aliantha

They absolutely do Chris. In fact, they're outlawed in by many local councils. Our neighbour had one and he was a nice dog unless you wanted him to do something he didn't feel like doing. Then he was frightening.

I haven't met a pitbull I fully trust, but then again, I treat most dogs with a degree of respect. After all, they're creatures with their own mind and can't be expected to always do as you think they will.

Back to pitbulls though, my experiences with the breed haven't been positive as a whole. I don't necessarily advocate destroying the animals, but I do believe it should be illegal to breed them, thus solving the problems created by the breed in a humane manner.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:59 PM   #8
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Here in Hotlanta, GA, pit bulls are the bling bling of the pet world. Lots of them are violent and mal-treated. One aspect (biological inclination) mixes with the other (mal-treatment) to create the deadly mix.

I would rather ban the crappy owners.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:02 PM   #9
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Pitbulls have this reputation in Canada as well. I believe they've been banned in Ontario. I say, good riddance. Any dog breed is merely a group with selected traits within the larger species. This breed was developed for pit fighting. They don't signal their attacks; their jaws have frightening crushing power; they don't quit once they've begun an attack. They have killed ponies, far larger dogs, and plenty of people.

Of course a pit bull can be trained, but its lethal tendencies remain (it's somewhat like saying that a tiger cub can be 'trained' and 'tamed'. It can't, really. Once it reaches maturity it's not tame because of its 'hard-wiring'.)There's just no reason for this breed to exist.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:03 PM   #10
chrisinhouston
Professor

Yikes! My dog could be outlawed! Too much licking and her wagging tail is a killer!
Old 12-12-2006, 07:10 PM   #11
rkzenrage

I have known many that were very cool dogs... it depends on how you raise them. As long as they are not bred incorrectly.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:38 PM   #12
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123
We don't have all the story, but I would say the parents were negligent.
Yeah, they are negligent because there is nobody else to blame, but they are barely negligent at all. It was a friggin puppy. Who thinks a puppy is going to eat a kid when they are right there next to the kid?

The pit bull was a puppy, so it wasn't trained yet. Which means it hadn't been trained to be mean, the way many pit bulls are. It was just a puppy.

This is really an accident more than anything, on the same level as accidentally slamming a car door on a kid's fingers.

I'd think differently of them if they were drug users/dealers who were passed out and under the influence, but there's none of that here. They probably had a sleepless night taking care of their crying kid, and they fell into a nap with their baby at an arm's length away. Parents do that all the time. They probably figured their mere presence would make things OK.

Unless there is more to this story, the DA prosecuting them is an ass.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:54 PM   #13
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Either the baby doesn't cry, or the parents were incapable of hearing a baby getting its toes chewed off.l

How do you know there weren't drugs or alcohol involved?

Either way...maybe I was wrong to jump to the negligent parent thing. I did say we didn't have the whole story.

But, I have to wonder how dog nibbled 4 TOES OFF before anyone realized it? I imagine most of the parents I've seen post to these boards would have heard their baby, who was right next to them, fussing because having body parts gnawed off kind of hurts. At least I would imagine it does. Hell, most of the parents here would hear a fly buzzing around their newborns and come hell or high water that fly would have to go.

Doggy being sweet doggy and "nursing" or doggy being evil toe-eating dog...how could it get that far?
Old 12-12-2006, 07:58 PM   #14
Aliantha

I'm with you on this one Shawnee. As a mother I couldn't imagine not hearing my child in pain.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:28 PM   #15
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

Here in the UK, pit-bulls are recognised as being one of the most dangerous breeds of dog. There have been many, widely publicised, incidents like those that have been recounted here. So much so, that any parent who undertakes to owning a pit-bull after the birth of their child would be looked at very closely by social services.