The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #1591
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

wow. fucking awesome. Thanks , bruce.

It must be surreal for them. Especially, I look at Robert. He wrote those lyrics in 15 minutes. I remember hearing him say that it was like something was pushing his pen. Like the song already existed before it was written, and he just uncorked it. ( that may have been because they ripped the melody off from Taurus, but hey...)

anyway.... here's this huge production version with backup singers, and orchestral accompaniment, and goddamn Obama in the the audience.

When he teared up.... I teared up.

moar!

here's the full gig:

Last edited by lumberjim; 01-24-2013 at 12:32 AM.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:18 AM   #1592
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #1593
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

wow---I missed that one.. thanks for posting it Jim.

Incredible. Led Zep is the music of my misbegotten youth.
Good, good times.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #1594
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

I missed it too. thank xoxoxbruce for putting up that first link. It just got me digging. Apparently they did a little bit of promotion for the dvd of Celebration Day release.... and the Kennedy center honors thing happened at the same time.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #1595
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

That was Fucking OUTSTANDING !!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #1596
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Queen at Live Aid. I watched this live on TV.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #1597
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I love the music on Lena Dunham's show Girls.

I really loved this song by Icona Pop

http://youtu.be/UxxajLWwzqY
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #1598
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Doesn't anyone remember this song?

Some girl in the bin was always singing one song or another. She was trying to remember a song and I don't know if it was this one, but it's what she put me in mind of.

I remember clearly listening to it/singing along with my grandma. Maybe she had the radio on or maybe she had the record and played it on her big old console stereo. (I would've been about 8 years old, and we visited grandma a lot)

When I finally remembered sort of how the song went, I couldn't come up with who sang it. When I got home I googled it. And wow! I remember it so well now. Hurricane Smith was Norman Smith, who was an engineer then producer for EMI records for the Beatles.

It was cool to hear it again...one of those songs you never hear anymore so it was fun to rediscover it in such an odd way. Yeah, it's very 1972, but I love it.

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #1599
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Wanda
Old 02-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #1600
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

So.

Watched "Flight" last night. You know it's amazing what music can do. It can take you higher than you imagined was possible, for a piece of music, and, it can dump you lower than a snake's belly.

For three days, I've been in the foulest funk that I can function in. Just ill, pissed off and everything/everybody seemed to make everything worse.

The first appearance of this song in the movie (if you've seen it, you know what I mean) found me as pissed off as I've been for this particular period of shittiness, and by the time the scene was over I was singing along, verily dancing in my chair.

And I was smiling. I woke up at 6:30 this a.m., fresh as a daisy, feeling good for the first time this week...

...And I was singing "Feelin Alright" by Joe Cocker.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #1601
infinite monkey

I totally get that, grav. Good song.

Was the movie OK? No spoilers please.

And this song, used in 127 Hours, has that same feel good effect on me:

--Bill Withers
Old 02-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #1602
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
...Was the movie OK? No spoilers please...
The movie was great! I think the first thing ya see is a boobie!! Wouldn't watch it with a child less than 16-17, though. Or Momdigr! That's right out.

7.75 outta 10

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #1603
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I loved 127 Hours. I mean really loved it, I watched the whole thing again the next day. Damn, now I'm halfway thinking about watching it again tonight.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #1604
infinite monkey

I watched it 3 times really close to each other, and i've been thiking about watching it again! Love it!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #1605
glatt

It makes me cringe.

That scene where they work their way into the slot canyon by wedging themselves against the walls and then letting go and dropping down into what they hope will be a pool full of water just really bothers me.

It's been a while since I saw it, so maybe I'm not remembering it well. But the memories that stick out in my head are all of this guy doing pretty foolish stuff. Darwin let one get away.

It's weird though, because in an action movie, I don't have any problem with the crazy and dangerous stuff people do. I think it's because this is supposedly based on a true story that the crazy stuff bugs me.

I mean, back to that swimming scene. It would be so easy for them to bash their heads on the cliff inches in front of them or inches in back of them, get knocked unconscious, and then drown when they hit the water. And he didn't even check the water depth before cliff dropping into it. He couldn't even see the water from where he was. He had obviously been there before, but it had been a while. And in the desert, water is there one week and gone the next. It depends on the rain.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
music