Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #8566
glatt

get better soon.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #8567
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

aww, man, that sucks, Clod. Hope you feel better soon!
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #8568
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Not an expert in kidneys, but mightn't they want a little time off, or are they like livers and need to be punished?
More water helps flush the infection out. More chocolate almond milk, on the other hand, probably not the best idea. But my stomach's got their back in that regard, couldn't keep it down if I wanted to. I am feeling a little better now though, might even manage to eat breakfast tomorrow.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:43 AM   #8569
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Didn't you have a kidney infection not so long ago clod? I hope this one sorts itself out soon. xx
Old 12-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #8570
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Argh, Clod. I've only had cystitis. It was bad enough once to become a kidney infection and it hurt like buggery.
Many healing thoughts to you.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #8571
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

drink
drink
drink
drink
take all your antibiotitcs
take your pain medication
take care of yourself.

Have Mr Clod take care of you for us, hm?

Yes, I know this makes me a selfish bastard, guilty.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:41 AM   #8572
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I asked way back when, that Dad would take me to Amersham on Friday 21st.
It was fine, agreed, done and dusted.
Checked again today - because I am aware things have changed.

NO.
Your father cannot drive at night any more.

Well, all fair and good but he drives to church every Saturday night.
And (why this irritates me) no-one has said anything about this new rule to me. My travels plans depend on it.

I get it. I do.
I just wish Mum had discussed this with me.
She knows what a tight budget I am on. She knows I can't rely on my salary this month. Good job I asked. I can't even offer to go during the day, as I have a counselling session from 15.00-16.00. Dark by then.

I'll deal with this of course.
And they both have so much on their plates I know why my travel plans weren't considered.
I'm being a spoilt brat.
But better to get it out here than be bratty to them.

It's just a £17 reduction in funds for the hoolie.
Put that against Dad's health it's nothing.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #8573
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Hope you were able to work something out, Sundae.
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #8574
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Our pediatrician's office is closed through the end of the year. Wanting to rule out infection as the source of Beans' five day fussiness, I decided to take her to the after hours pediatrics place. (Verdict: just teething.)

After a 45 minute wait, the doctor came in and started manhandling Beans. She (understandably) freaked out. Rather than slow down and coo to comfort her, he just yelled "HEY!" in her face and kept going. He kept checking her over roughly, and she got so upset she was choking on her own cries. So the doc yelled in her ear "DON'T GET PISSED!"

What an ass! Who yells at a four month old baby who was in pain to begin with? The mama bear in me wanted to tear him to shreds. Needless to say, we're never going there again.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #8575
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

What the fuck?

I'd file a complaint. He must work for someone, the franchise owner for the clinic. Really, really unacceptable. This guy doesn't know what he's doing, and who knows what harm his ignorance could cause. Not that I'm wishing you ill, but what makes you think an idiot like that got even that right?

Unacceptable.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #8576
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Seriously, file a complaint. There's no excuse ... I can't even conceive of yelling at a baby I was examining. He needs to be fired. Think about filing a complaint with the state medical board. He can be called on the carpet for unprofessional behavior, endangering a patient's welfare, etc. Frankly, I think he needs a psychological evaluation. Please do make a complaint, choco, I hate to think there's a doc out there behaving like that.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #8577
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Thankfully it was only at "asshole" level and did not escalate to "psycho." He was using the tone and volume you'd use for an adult who was hard of hearing, instead of the comforting murmur you'd expect for a teething baby. It was just a complete lack of bedside compassion, in contrast to our regular pediatrician who is so sweet and gentle.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #8578
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

***SPOILER ALERT***
Big rant follows.

You're the mom, so, ok. Don't expect a babysitting request from me though. I think it's total bullshit. Being an asshole to a baby. Hm. Why? I know you talk to Bean, you're immersing her in language, teaching her. The good doctor was also speaking to her, but not to teach, he was only scratching his *own* itch, venting his own frustrations.

It's been a really long time since I was a baby, but I know some stuffs about them. They get your speech to them, on a visceral level. And you can move that needle in either direction, more comfort, more stress, whatever. But they're not verbal. They can't be admonished. Why did he speak to her like that? What was the purpose? I bet he wanted her to be more cooperative, that's understandable, desirable. So, I ask myself again, why speak to her like that? Was it out of utter ignorance that a crying four-month-old baby wouldn't be able to understand his words? Was it indifference? Callousness? Did he really think he could shock her into silence? Speaking to her like she's a hard of hearing adult is stupid, at best. I'm running down the list here, and *none* of them fit. Asshole fits. Other, worse descriptions fit.

You and I talk with words. We can use them (and other modes) to communicate with each other. Bean doesn't have words yet. She was communicating with the doctor, and you, and it's up to the adults in the room to accommodate her. There's nothing, not one single thing that a four-month-old baby is obligated to do, not even settle down, not stop crying, nothing. The universe revolves around them. As it should.

Naturally, as parents, we know there's other stuff going on, but we let them have their "illusion". We have the bandwidth to do so and still have enough left over to take care of business in the rest of our lives. Sounds like your doctor doesn't. Maybe it was an anomaly, or maybe there's a bigger problem, I don't know. But in my opinion, it should not be left to stand unchallenged. I'm not the kind of man that sends his meal back to the kitchen because it's messed up, I'm an easy-going guy. But this subject is serious and though Bean's almost certainly undamaged by the episode, it should have never have happened and it for damn sure should never happen again. Letting it slide is a bad idea. I wouldn't be interested in an apology or a refund or anything. I just want assurance that it is on the record and that it won't happen again.

ps, I'm sorry about the babysitting remark, that was unfair. YOU'RE fine, I'm frustrated by what the doctor did, not what you did.

tl;dr:

I'm sorry that the doctor was an asshole and that he treated Bean badly. I completely understand your anger at his actions and your frustration with the situation. I applaud your restraint. I sure hope Bean doesn't suffer too badly; new teeth are terrible. Poor little Bean.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #8579
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Still, kick that doctor in the balls for me. We have a similar doc up here and no one is willing to report his fuck-ups, NOT EVEN AFTER HE KILLED A PATIENT by prescribing the wrong meds.

He tried to put our pregnant friend on Lipitor because her cholesterol was mildly elevated.

Luckily, she knew not to take it and asked him if he was serious and if he knew what he was doing. She didn't file a complaint.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:14 AM   #8580
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Yabbut... I never said I wasn't filing a complaint. Just clarifying what happened. It was still majorly uncalled for and I'll make sure it's logged.

Tags
swiss