The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 10-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #181
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Ok! Imma see it, too! I can do suspension but I want to be SCARED dammit in a semi-believable way.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #182
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I loved Cabin in the Woods, but I knew going in that it wasn't a horror movie.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #183
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Hmmm. I don't necessarily equate 'scary' with 'horror.' In fact, I'd more likely put Cabin in the horror realm for sheer gore (not Al Gore.) Also that they included the possibility of every sort of 'monster' ever dreamed up by man. It was more an action flick with body parts, imo. It did give me a couple jolts, but it didn't have the kind of build up and anticipation that really gets my blood going. Not for lack of blood in the movie, for sure.

Doing 'scary' well, like any other art genre, requires more subtlety. (Yes, I do think scary is an art genre if done right. See: Edgar Allen Poe.) I can sure cringe and react to, say, the Saw movies...they don't really scare me like the apprehension and build up that comes with a more quiet approach to the things that creep out the human brain. Build up, build up, build up...BOOM! Whaaaaaaaaaaaa? AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. (That was cool! Gasp breathe gasp!)
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #184
infinite monkey

Oh, and Cabin defied the three laws of surviving a horror movie, as laid out in Scream:

1) You can never have sex.
As Randy says, “Big no-no! Big no-no! Sex equals death!” And he’s right. Think back on it: Kevin Bacon in Friday the 13th? Dead. That chick who’s freeze framed behind Randy in Halloween? Toast. Of course, our intrepid heroine Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell) manages to break this rule, so score one for Sid.

2) You can never drink or do drugs.
Ah, yes: “The sin factor.” Good little boys and girls don’t do nasty things like drink or do drugs– that way madness lies! So if you do, of course you’re going to have to be punished. WITH DEATH.

3) Never, ever, ever, under any circumstances, say “I’ll be right back.”
Because you won’t be. Don’t jinx yourself. Better yet, don’t go anywhere alone. Or anywhere. At all.

http://crushable.com/entertainment/r...-horror-movie/
Old 10-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #185
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

That was the point, though. The engineers were trying to make a horror movie that followed the formula, but everything went wrong.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #186
infinite monkey

True. I got hung up on what they were trying to engineer.

That was the part that was good. In the process of getting there, though, they employed all the formulas and that didn't grab my attention: it tried too hard.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #187
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil is the scariest and best scary movie I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of them.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #188
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Re: Cabin In The Woods:

My favorite scene was the hall of elevators.

DING!

I gakked used Bud Light all over the living room.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #189
infinite monkey

Went to see Paranormal Activity IV on Saturday.

It was a good audience. A lot more folks than I'm used to seeing at the Saturday matinee. Families with teenagers, etc. It was obvious they have also been following the series. What was great was when the jolt moments happened, we'd all gasp, then we'd all giggle at the collective gasp.

It's just a fun escape.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #190
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Mrs. Z and I watched Snow White and the Huntsman last weekend. I was underwhelmed. It was more a collection of scenes than a movie.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #191
Griff
still says videotape

Saw Paul, very amusing.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #192
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Just watched "The Next Three Days".

First 45-60 minutes: Please shoot me.
Last hour: Pretty good.

6.5 outta ten

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #193
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Paul was great.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #194
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

SKYFALL!

Too much M not enough naked Daniel Craig.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:38 PM   #195
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Twil and I just got back from watching Derby Baby. It was great. Several skaters from the Rat City Roller Girls were at the theater, enjoying the film. It's so cool to see them off the track.

Quote:
"Derby Baby" is a love story about a sport and a movement. Narrated by Juliette Lewis, "Derby Baby" was filmed over a two-year period that just might be the most turbulent time in history for the international sport of women’s flat-track roller derby. The film captures the love and addiction that connect women from very different walks of life as they organize into leagues and grow the sport from its WWF-like legacy into something that is athletic, fiercely competitive, and for some skaters, life-saving.
I'll be buying the dvd in a couple minutes. I give it five stars.