The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 10-07-2005, 09:11 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Eminent Domain...thanks, Supreme Court

As many of us predicted the politicians are using this ruling against the public.
Here's the latest one from NJ.
Quote:
On May 21, Albert G. Mauti Jr. and his cousin Joseph hosted a fundraiser for Assemblyman Joseph Cryan at the Westmount Country Club in Passaic County. The two developers and family members picked up the $10,400 dinner tab, donated another $8,000 and raised more than $70,000 that night for the powerful Union County Democrat, according to state election records.

Three days later, the governing body in Cryan's hometown of Union Township -- all Democrats -- introduced an ordinance paving the way for the Mautis to build 90 or so townhouses on six acres of abandoned industrial land along the Conrail line in town.

There is just one problem: Union Township doesn't own the land.

It is owned by Carol Segal, a 65-year-old retired electrical engineer. Over the past 10 years, the Union Township resident says, he has spent about $1.5 million to acquire the property, and he, too, wants to build townhouses there.
Much more at the link.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:04 PM   #2
marichiko

I believe they call that "bringing home the bacon."

One thing I didn't get from the article, though. It sounds like the dispute is more over whether the Township gets to choose which builder will be handed the development plum or whether the current owner will pick the builder. I agree that it should be up to the property owner, but it doesn't sound as though the property is actually being "stolen" from him.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:07 AM   #3
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Good. We need someone to abuse the holy hell out of this insane ruling to get it reversed. Too bad for Segal but it looks like he's the latest casualty in a series of Marxist distortions of the Fifth Amendment.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:54 PM   #4
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

VOTE LOCAL!!!

The piece of this debacle that I don't think is getting enough attention is the fact that people are willing to elect local leaders who would abuse this ruling. It's not like it's some rouge band of armed desperadoes riding around seizing property; these are duly elected officials.

Maybe we should make it mandatory that before you get to vote for, and bitch about, national candidates, you must become informed and vote in local elections.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:46 PM   #5
God
Not half the God I used to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
....Union Township -- all Democrats...
I'll see about sending a cat 5 over there too.
God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 06:50 PM   #6
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

This will teach the owner to not know what to kiss and when.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:21 PM   #7
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Quote:
Originally Posted by God
I'll see about sending a cat 5 over there too.

Old 10-16-2005, 10:43 PM   #8
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Actually, it's a new issue. In both cases, new homes will be built. If the township cannot demonstrate that their proposal is more in the public interest than the use the owner intends, one set of house versus another, it becomes a different issue than what the Supreme Court voted on.

Also, with another developer involved, they are going up against a serious opponent instead of rolling over a single citizen.

It sounds interesting.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 03:03 PM   #9
russotto
Professor

The current owner needs to get a few loads of PCBs, mercury, dioxin, etc, and plow it into the land. Then, once the legal proceedings are finished, arrange for it to be "discovered". They could probably turn around and sue him for the cleanup cost, but he's 65... he ought to be able to delay it long enough to die.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 07:40 PM   #10
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by russotto
The current owner needs to get a few loads of PCBs, mercury, dioxin, etc, and plow it into the land. Then, once the legal proceedings are finished, arrange for it to be "discovered". They could probably turn around and sue him for the cleanup cost, but he's 65... he ought to be able to delay it long enough to die.
Sue? Maybe after he got out of federal prison.

A better bet is to plant a few "endangered" species native to the area on the grounds then alert the environmental nazis to your "new" discovery.