The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 11-13-2019, 05:32 PM   #61
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I think a good "icky" to fight is just masculine women and feminine men. Some will transition, some will be gay, some will be straight and it's all just part of the beautiful human spectrum.

The transfolk I have known were last generation and seemed "born that way" or, as was thought at one point, influenced so early in childhood that it's the same thing. There seems now to be a new broader generation of people who are not exactly in that category. People who give up transitioning because they realized they were "just gay". I've seen a few of those stories.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:25 PM   #62
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luce View Post
This now falls into the realm of "don't tell people what to do."
Yes, goin' both ways. As I say up-thread 'i don't give a flip what people do to themselves (no matter how stupid or delusional) as long as i'm not payin' for it or are bein' forced to participate
Old 11-13-2019, 06:47 PM   #63
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
There. Are. No. Medical. Procedures. Done. On. Children.
That is incorrect.

Mastectomies for girls as young as 13 who have already decided to transition are medical procedures on children.

Using hormone blockers on a child is a medical procedure - it just isn't a surgical one - there is some evidence to suggest it can have an impact on their health in later life: though this seems to be particularly the case for female to male transition. There is evidence (I am not well versed enough to be able to say how compelling) to suggest that girls who block puberty and then transition through male hormones do not store sufficient calcium and are at much higher risk of osteoporosis.

I think it's a different situation with boys who are given puberty blockers - there seems less evidence of long term impact from the delaying of puberty.

There is also an apparent risk of infertility and other irreversible effects - though how much of that is through delaying puberty and how much through the use if male or female hormones to allow transition I am not sure.

There are also risks involved in not allowing transgender children to begin down the path - and they shouldn't be minimized.

Parents of trans children are between a rock and a hard place - and so are many health professionals - but there is, running alongside that an ideological drive by some to actively promote gender transition or genderlessness - (from kids shows on youtube singing songs for pre-schoolers about how everyone is really queer and teaching all about the multiplicity of genders on the spectrum (Moon Gender anyone?), to an insistence that you don't need gender dysphoria to be transgender and deplatforming academics and health professionals who disagree and who consider it the definitive reason for transition.

So there is a risk that youngsters who are not suffering from gender dysphoria, but are subject to other forms of body dysmorphia are finding themselves on the transgender track - all the whlle having that diagnosis validated and confirmed by that track so they end up on hormone treatments by the the time they are in their early to mid-teens: and if someone who doesn't actually have gender dysphoria
is misdiagnosed and treated as if they do, then this can actually create dysphoria by bringing about fairly radical changes some of which will not go away if they decide to abandon hormone treatment.

Again, this seems to be something which is primarily affecting girls who think they are transgender and then realise its something else, like anorexia, or anxiety about male attention.

There are cases of the above. How prominent that experience is compared to those for whom early transition partly or wholly resolved their gender dysphoria and allowed them to live a normal life, i don;t know - and I suspect few, if any here know either.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:06 PM   #64
henry quirk

pistols, at dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint
There. Are. No. Medical. Procedures. Done. On. Children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
That is incorrect.

Mastectomies for girls as young as 13 who have already decided to transition are medical procedures on children.

Using hormone blockers on a child is a medical procedure - it just isn't a surgical one - there is some evidence to suggest it can have an impact on their health in later life: though this seems to be particularly the case for female to male transition. There is evidence (I am not well versed enough to be able to say how compelling) to suggest that girls who block puberty and then transition through male hormones do not store sufficient calcium and are at much higher risk of osteoporosis.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:47 PM   #65
Luce
Weaponized Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
Yes, goin' both ways. As I say up-thread 'i don't give a flip what people do to themselves (no matter how stupid or delusional) as long as i'm not payin' for it or are bein' forced to participate
I don't even care if I'm paying for it.

I mean, if I'm not, they'll just make more bombs with my money.

Boobs or bombs. You gotta choose.
Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:08 PM   #66
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:

Nope, just run up the deficit some more, we're only paying a Billion dollars a day interest.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:23 AM   #67
henry quirk

Quote:

Let's see...

I can buy fake tits for deluded folks...

...or...

I can buy big ass bombs.

I pick bombs (more bang for my buck).
Old 11-14-2019, 08:44 AM   #68
Luce
Weaponized Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Nope, just run up the deficit some more, we're only paying a Billion dollars a day interest.
I am being told, once again, that deficits don't matter.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:57 AM   #69
glatt

A Billion dollars a day is a Starbucks latte for each person living in this country, each day.

Free daily lattes for everyone if we pay off the debt.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #70
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But I don't drink coffee, wouldn't want to poison my body with a drug.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:16 PM   #71
Luce
Weaponized Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
But I don't drink coffee, wouldn't want to poison my body with a drug.
How are you even alive?
Old 11-14-2019, 02:44 PM   #72
DanaC

Coincidentally, given my comment:
Quote:
Having those concerns does not equate to being anti-trans. But that is where the argument always ends up: if you question the current approach in any way you are denounced as anti-trans - even if, like a few commentators i have seen, you are yourself transgender.

This, right here, is why the issue is of concern - because it is far too politicised.

There's a really nasty anti-LGBT and in particular anti-trans streak in some of the discourse especially coming from the right - and that needs watching, but lumping any questioning into that makes the entire topic toxic
Blaire White's latest, in which she tackles the accusations of transphobia she has received recently:

Old 11-14-2019, 04:32 PM   #73
DanaC

Oh look: exactly the thing I was concerned about...apparently this stuff is happening here as well. I am familiar with the clinic in question as a friend / colleague of mine was campaigning for changes in the funding formula and routing back in 2010:

Old 11-15-2019, 03:13 PM   #74
Flint
Snowflake

I misspoke by not clarifying that "trans people make me feel icky" wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I didn't mean anyone in this thread or anyone referenced here.

My apologies, as the main discourse about trans people currently in circulation is a never-ending string of angry patriots shouting "why do [trans women] want to shove tampons up their butt!" and a very tired army of people replying, endlessly, "the sanitary products are for trans MEN"
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:31 PM   #75
henry quirk

"the sanitary products are for *trans MEN"

*deluded women