The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 02-19-2009, 07:43 AM   #3361
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Update:

Uncle told the detective some things he didn't know. I now know that it was a gunshot wound; not the normal MO for a woman. Also, no note, and Uncle had talked to her the day before and she was chatty...not the kind of behavior you expect then to not leave a note. Her husband plans to have her cremated.

We will have memorial service here, at some point.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:11 AM   #3362
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Holy joe---I missed this one, Shawnee. Sounds awful.

Wow. There is so much pain...

I'm so sorry...

ETA: I just read thru this...there are no words...her two kids...oh-----shawnee, you've been thru the wringer lately...my heart is with you.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum

Last edited by Trilby; 02-19-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:29 AM   #3363
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I am so sorry, Shawnee. What a damned tragedy! Please accept my condolences and well wishes.

And I hope they figure out what really happened very soon, so you and your family can begin the process of dealing with the grief.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:30 AM   #3364
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Uggghhh! So sorry
Old 02-19-2009, 09:32 AM   #3365
Shawnee123

How does Facebook work? My mom said my cousin had a page, but unless I ask her to be my friend and she agrees it won't work? I went through the sign up process but that is as far as I can go?
Old 02-19-2009, 09:45 AM   #3366
glatt

You probably need an invitation from her to see her page, but sometimes people have their settings lower than that and let anyone in their "network" see their page. That could mean if you said you were from her city, you might possibly be able to see her page. Not likely though.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:46 AM   #3367
Shawnee123

Oh, OK. Thanks glatt.

It gave me all this stuff, with pics, from people I went to HS and college with. I didn't really want to go there, I guess I'll check my settings.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:24 AM   #3368
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Yeah the way Facebook works Shawnee is depending on how private one makes their profile determines how accessible it is. You can adjust this in the Privacy Settings from the Settings drop-down button at the top. More often than not, people will set their page to only be viewable by those who are "friends" with them. This is established by sending a "friend request" to the person which they then choose to approve or deny. Facebook also works on a "Network" system where you exist within a particular Network or two which is just about anything these days from a school, to a larger company, to a city. You can set your profile to be viewable by everyone within your Network(s) or not, up to you. Friends of Friends cannot see each other's pages unless they are in the same network or are Friends with each other. How open or closed your profile is and what information you make available is entirely up to you. That said, I would lean more towards less info than more due to the somewhat shady status of what rights Facebook retains to info put on its servers for future use as well as how long said info stays on their servers.

Example: a few months ago I had issue slogging into my account, their customer service sucks hairy ass so it took weeks to actually get the problem solved. However when they "fixed" it initially, I was sent to an old profile I had from my freshman year in 2004 with all the old info from that page still alive and well even though I had merged that account with my current one at my current school and had since long replaced or removed that information from my profile. Apparently, Facebook's servers held onto all of that from 4 YEARS ago, which makes me nervous about how long they retain supposedly deleted information, which coupled with what rights they reserve to use of your info leads me to believe that the less info you give Facebook the better.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:12 PM   #3369
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

They retain everything forever. Even told me so when I deleted my page. I'll NEVER have one again. What they have is already too much. Whatev3r you put on the net is never yours again - its anyone's and there are too many people who will exploit that for personal gain.
NEVER AGAIN
Old 02-19-2009, 03:17 PM   #3370
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Nothing can change the way things are, Shawnee. But I pray for peace for you and your family.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #3371
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
They retain everything forever. Even told me so when I deleted my page. I'll NEVER have one again. What they have is already too much. Whatev3r you put on the net is never yours again - its anyone's and there are too many people who will exploit that for personal gain.
NEVER AGAIN
I have to agree. I have one. Never really did much with it. I have some pics and a bunch of extended friends I know. Haven't looked at it in month. Who needs Face Book when you have The Cellar.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:27 PM   #3372
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I need facebook. It's excellent for keeping in touch with my family who don't live close by.

eta: and also for sending out invites and things for upcoming events.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:35 PM   #3373
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I like the Facebook, particularly how people from my distant past have located me and now send me tidbits about their lives.

wow, good old Bob was gay! and Tom too? why didn't they come out to us in college? were they afraid?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:38 PM   #3374
Shawnee123

Speaking of...your face appeared when I signed up, UT. How does that thing KNOW who we know if we didn't go to college or HS or work with them? Another friend from my old job that I haven't seen in a long time popped up, with nothing to associate him with me; I put no work info in.

Spooky. Not that I'm complaining.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:39 PM   #3375
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Don't you know the great UT is omnipresent?

Tags
swiss