The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Archives > The Sycamore Manifestos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Sycamore Manifestos Random Acts of Senseless Coherence [Blog view]

Old 06-27-2003, 05:09 PM   #61
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Oh, and I got my proof from Noble House last week...maybe I'll mail it off this weekend.
Old 06-28-2003, 01:00 AM   #62
wolf
lobber of scimitars

You're going, right?

How could you pass up the opportunity to be entertained by Mickey Rooney (drooling on himself and pissing his pants) ... I got chills from the description of the glorious poetry cup (from which you would be able to drink the alchoholic beverage of your choice, to enhance your creative abilities).

Also, such a prestigious international event occuring within a three hour drive of your very own home! Not to be missed.

How much are the bastards charging?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
Old 06-28-2003, 01:04 AM   #63
elSicomoro

"In 1934, I was the number one star in the world, YOU HEAR ME?!"

$595, plus travel/hotel accomodations.
Old 06-28-2003, 01:06 AM   #64
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
I got chills from the description of the glorious poetry cup (from which you would be able to drink the alchoholic beverage of your choice, to enhance your creative abilities).
You know, Rho's been talking about getting me a pimp cup (watch a current hip-hop video if you're unfamiliar with it).
Old 06-28-2003, 01:33 AM   #65
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I haven't read this thread for quite some time, but in looking at the last few posts, is it safe for me to assume that the answer to the thread title has come down on the side of "International Scam?"
Old 06-28-2003, 01:58 AM   #66
elSicomoro

I'd go with "international scam," albeit completely legal.
Old 06-28-2003, 02:08 AM   #67
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Well, the best scams are the legal ones, I suppose...

Of course, just because you've been scammed does not mean you aren't a fine poet, because you are.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:43 PM   #68
cypress
Neophyte-in-training

hello everyone,
I haven't checked out the site in a while but, I too was recently offered the huge, silver bowl for a nominal fee that is. Also, I had sent the 57 dollars for noble house to the address at the Empire State building as directed, I just got the cancelled check back and the bank was in Baltimore Maryland. I'm guessing Nigel Hillary is really Howard Ely. Great scam.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
Cypress
Old 09-08-2003, 10:21 PM   #69
pjshimmer
Keeper of the Decorum

Hmm, guess who else was offered the huge, silver bowl for a nominal fee that is? That's right. I wrote 2 poems in my life, and both were good enough to be featured in a prestigeous anthology?! Give me a break. The heart of all their emails was $$$$$$$$. I could see through their scheming a$$es.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:14 PM   #70
kat
Resident-in-Training

same old story....

yep,
thats right, i'm another of the ISP and Noble House suckers. i hav pretty much the same story, wrote a poem, stumbled across poetry.com on the net and entered my poem onto the site. got an email a couple of months later saying i wsa in the semi finals of their competition and they wud like 2 publish me in a book. course i allowed them...was very proud of myself, as i wrote that poem wen i was 11 in my writers group, ive always been told im a talented poet and cud make it as a poet but at 12 i was naieve and thort that i cud even make it at that age, and sent along my consent and my artists proof, altho i didn't buy the book as i realised that i really shud get a free copy but still remained proud that i was published. couple of months on i was invited 2 the convention/symposium in Hollywood. even prouder i regretfully sent my refusal along(i live in NewZealand. couple more months on- i got another email asking 4 another poem- same process- another convention invitation 4 the next season, this time in Orlando,but this time i was nominated as poet of the year, recieving an international poet of merit award, and being introduced as an honourary member of the ISP. agen i regretfully sent my refusal along. another couple of months on- i recieved an email from a publisher in england, omg, sum1 read my work and is asking 4 a new poem 4 publication in Noble Houses new book......................(wait 4 it).............Theatre of the Mind!!! and i, the now very up herself poet from newzealand, sent along my poem. (agen i didn't buy the book). 4 the next couple of months i recieved email after email from poetry.com asking 4 my poetry 2 publish, 2 enter competitions, more invitations 2 more conventions, more awards, and still i gave them the poems, incredibly proud of myself, believing i was living out my dream of being an internationally published poet. after months of these i (now at the age of 14)recieved another email form Noble House, but this time i noticed the fake sounding adresses and bacame suspicious. i decided 2 do sum research on the publishers(sumthing i hadn't done since o first found poetry.com wen i was11/12) and found the stories, the scams and the truth.

after one very depressing day of feeling sorry 4 myself and believing that i will never become a published poet i decided 2 do sum more research. and altho i am now completely against noble house because they laser ur work onto a page wen u order the book, i am of 2 minds about poetry.com. i alredy knew that i was being ripped off but didn't care because i was being published. and rn't we? i have reason 2 believe that they actually do make the books, and unlike noble house publish all the poems in each book. so i now believe that altho there are a lot of people out there that are taking advantage of talented people like ourselves and i was just unlucky enuf 2 encounter the worst of them wen i first started out- it has 2 b the worst feeling believing that u hav achieved one of ur dreams and finding out that u have not even started 2 achieve it- but there r at least a few sincere people out there and i am bound 2 encounter them sum day. so i will carry on writing poetry and try and get it published with other more distinguished publishers.

so rock on(with our bongos and weed, lol) and every1 keep writing poetry if thats wat u really want 2 do.

sorry, i realise i hav rambled on 4 quite a while now...
but one more thing...if there are all these amateur poets out there interested in poetry y is the poetry business so small and our modern poets never heard of? lets all get out there and support those that are making it! mayb that will encourage more publishers 2 get in2 the poetry publishing business and we amateurs can really get oursleves published in books that actually get sold in shops!!!

lotsa luv

kat
(hawke)
Old 12-05-2003, 10:00 PM   #71
bmgb
Master of the Domain

I read the beginning of this thread a long time and forgot about it. Then, a few months ago, I asked my mother to dig up an old anti-war pamphlet I put together in 1991, and she came across a poem I wrote about the same time.

Then, when she came over for Thanksgiving, she says, "Guess what? I entered your poem in a contest!" Then she showed me the letter she got.

I told her not to buy the book, but I don't know if she'll listen to me.

Hey kat! New Zealand represent! (I'm not from there, but I wish I was.)
Old 12-06-2003, 12:41 PM   #72
Kaje
Kinda New Member

Lightbulb same here

I definately found my way onto poetry.com, and sure enough landed as a semi-finalist. i have heard of this enough to at least say they can publish me, but i was not into getting the stupid book. a week later, noble house sent me an email identical to the one shown. at first i was like...yes!!!! but after about 3 seconds my reverie ended and i thought about it. An email???? with no phone numbers or email addresses? i went on the website and there is nothing practically. so i put the guys name on the net and this site came up. i think its ridiculous that people send others this kind of stuff...but im guessing they make money from it so it all continues, the bloody jerks. anyways, if anyone knows a real publishing company that doesnt scam, sends free books, and pays royalties, let me know.

many thanks!

kaje

ps- if you feel like talking to someone who is annoyed by all that crap but loves to write anyways, email or im me.